IGNORED

I finally found the peripheral that influenced me the most as a kid.

A boxed 1650 with manual finally showed up on eBay. I jumped on it. A nice HUGE box with a plastic tray inside. Man, they just don't make packaging like this anymore. I don't think the manual has ever been scanned so I will do that as soon as I can. The manual contains a 25 line terminal program in BASIC that you can type in yourself to get rolling. Freaking awesome.

1650automodem.jpg

• Like 1

My first modem was a VICModem, so I can relate. I used it with a VIC-20 and briefly with a C64 until I got an auto-dialing 300 baud modem (and later a 1200 baud Commodore 1670).

Same here..

(well, starting with a Vicmodem on the Vic-20. Got an Aprotek when I got my C64)

22 Characters of 300 goodness.. ;-)

Great score on the 1650!

desiv

Nice you could find a boxed one!

I didn't get a modem until I was in college. Everything was long distance for me until then. By that time 1200 baud was the standard.
I bought an Avatex 1200 from Megatronics. I traded it on a 2400 baud Avatex a year or so later and traded that for a 14,400 modem a while later.

Edited by JamesD

I was a little late getting into the online scene. I had a C12D during the 1985-1994 period, and saw Q-Link (I think that was the name?) used at a friends house who had a 2400 baud modem. I never got online myself until my folks bought me Prodigy to go with my IBM clone in early 1993. The modem was a 14.4k baud. A year later we upgraded to a 28.8 and then at college I used a 56.8k (I think that's right, the fastest one they came out with). Due to going to a small school, I didn't get online with a T3 (non modem connection) in the privacy of my own room until grade school in 1998.

I was a little late getting into the online scene. I had a C12D during the 1985-1994 period, and saw Q-Link (I think that was the name?) used at a friends house who had a 2400 baud modem. I never got online myself until my folks bought me Prodigy to go with my IBM clone in early 1993. The modem was a 14.4k baud. A year later we upgraded to a 28.8 and then at college I used a 56.8k (I think that's right, the fastest one they came out with). Due to going to a small school, I didn't get online with a T3 (non modem connection) in the privacy of my own room until grade school in 1998.

Perhaps you meant grad school? Just a slightly different meaning. :D

I had a C12D during the 1985-1994 period, and saw Q-Link (I think that was the name?).

Yep, that was the name..

I was in college then, and bought 2 Quantum Link packages. One for me on my SX-64 and one for my parents on the C64 at home.

So I could e-mail them whenever I needed, rather than expensive long distance...

Man, that whole concept is so foreign nowadays.. ;-)

Also, Quantum Link became AOL.... ;-( ;-)

(I felt so dirty when I found that out...)

desiv

• Like 1

I knew I was ready for the big leagues and serious computing right after I first connected to The Source. It was such an alien concept almost, all cozied up in my bedroom on a winter's eve and commanding a computer so far away. Sure I had fucked with tele-types, but those computers were in the same room or across the way.

That, and the ability to store and save programs on floppy without having to re-type them or wait for a cassette. I didn't have any more "super wow" moments till I got a real HDD of my own, that huge 10MB Sider. Ramdisks were equally wow, but being a shit-faced brat I couldn't afford anything more than an additional 128 or 256mb card at the time. But it was the 16k langauge card utility that blew me away, actually the program gave me a 12k disk, with 4k overhead.

I remember we just played with it all evening, putting whatever 60-sector games we could onto it and see how fast they worked. I made charts and graphs and everything. But they all seemed to load at the same speed!

But it really all comes back to the MicroModem and Disk II drive, both were equally magical.

I got my Atari 1030 modem in '85 (I think) and quickly discovered the joy of BBSs all over the US (I was living in Vancouver)... my first phone bill was $700+ :-o Needless to say the modem was immediately taken away from me by my parents and, yes, I had to pay that phone bill on my own... that was a lot of $$$ for a junior in high school :skull:

Roger

• Like 2

That, and the ability to store and save programs on floppy without having to re-type them or wait for a cassette. I didn't have any more "super wow" moments till I got a real HDD of my own, that huge 10MB Sider. Ramdisks were equally wow, but being a shit-faced brat I couldn't afford anything more than an additional 128 or 256mb card at the time. But it was the 16k langauge card utility that blew me away, actually the program gave me a 12k disk, with 4k overhead.

I remember we just played with it all evening, putting whatever 60-sector games we could onto it and see how fast they worked. I made charts and graphs and everything. But they all seemed to load at the same speed!

Man, I loved Ramdisks! Had an Atari 130XE with 128K RAM with only half of that actually used. So Atari included a Ramdisk on their DOS to make loading the DOS menu instant. Once I realized I can actually save & load stuff in RAM, I was just blown away by the sheer speed compared to the floppy drives. Wasn't much space but it made working with BASIC programs real easy till I was ready to save on the disk.

There was the Multi I/O board from ICD that had 256K or even a full one megabyte (till high memory chip costs made ICD cancel that version). Too expensive for a high school kid but then I heard about a cart that lets you use an Atari 800 as a Ramdisk, which can go up to 1 Mb using Axlon memory upgrades. I continued to use Ramdisks on my Atari ST till I got a PC with a hard drive.

Wish I could say I used a modem on my Atari 8-bit, but I wasn't allowed to have one till I was in college...

That, and the ability to store and save programs on floppy without having to re-type them or wait for a cassette. I didn't have any more "super wow" moments till I got a real HDD of my own, that huge 10MB Sider.

My first hard drive was the Xetec Lt Kernal for the c64. 20 Megs. It made my BBS famous. before that I was using two SFD 1001s.

• 2 weeks later...