IGNORED

Robotic Arm Control

Vorticon

I finally finished my robotic arm control program, and you can see and hear all about it here :)

The source listing is also attached below for the curious. It has a large amount of redundancies which I will eventually stuff into subroutines.

I'm watching it on the Chromecast while I'm surfing! Not bad for 30 bux!

Very cool Walid! Love the video.

This brings back some memories. During the nineties I used to work as a mainframe operator.

In one of our data centers we had 5 tape library systems, operated by tape robots. Basically it were industrial robots (the kind you normally see building cars).

They were altered to operate magnetic tapes. Sometimes intervention was required and I always loved turning off the light and watch the robots operate in the dark.

Anyway, I did not find a video about the comparex robots we had, but this comes close.

Watch 3:10 - 4:10

Edited by retroclouds

Very cool Walid! Love the video.

This brings back some memories. During the nineties I used to work as a mainframe operator.

In one of our data centers we had 5 tape library systems, operated by tape robots. Basically it were industrial robots (the kind you normally see building cars).

They were altered to operate magnetic tapes. Sometimes intervention was required and I always loved turning off the light and watch the robots operate in the dark.

Anyway, I did not find a video about the comparex robots we had, but this comes close.

I wonder if the TI could control one of these :) It's amazing how clunky computer storage used to be even just 2 decades ago...

Next step: Have the TI control my Tomy Omnibot! Perhaps this could become a demo at next year's Chicago Faire :D

http://www.fanboy.com/archive-images/tomy-robots-1984-01.jpg

Edited by Vorticon

I wonder if the TI could control one of these :) It's amazing how clunky computer storage used to be even just 2 decades ago...

Next step: Have the TI control my Tomy Omnibot! Perhaps this could become a demo at next year's Chicago Faire :D

http://www.fanboy.com/archive-images/tomy-robots-1984-01.jpg

O M G I wanted one of those SO BADLY as a kid. It was in the Christmas catalog EVERY YEAR but all I got was stinking Transformers... and a TI-99/4A. *sigh*

O M G I wanted one of those SO BADLY as a kid. It was in the Christmas catalog EVERY YEAR but all I got was stinking Transformers... and a TI-99/4A. *sigh*

Yeah, I found mine on Ebay for something around $50, complete with a new battery to boot. Sometimes you get lucky... It is pretty limited as a robot though because the arms are not controllable, however it is eminently hackable and moddable :)

What I really want is the Heathkit Hero robot, but they are exceedingly rare in working condition, and when they do show up they go for thousands!

Transformers :lol: - those were always disappointingly poorly made - probably half of mine eventually broke :_( .

Yeah, my mini ones, like the smaller Autobots and Aerobots, tended to be a little more fragile than the rest. Though Megatron and Optimus Prime did not survive after a couple of years of battles in the back yard. ANYWAY... :)