IGNORED

TI-99 Photos Thread! Post your systems here!

slinkeey

Only have the basic set up, sold most of my TI-99 software and MBX system about 8yrs ago.

Looking to collect it all again lol.

Basic setup? I would have killed to have that setup 35 years ago!

That looks like a great system, welcome back to the TI!

• Like 1

Only have the basic set up, sold most of my TI-99 software and MBX system about 8yrs ago.

Looking to collect it all again lol.

IMG_z72jas_zpsr6mv4bsp.jpg

A beautiful specimen! I had an original monitor at one point as well, but a "pop--fizz--smoke" did away with it. In retrospect, I should have kept it to repair, but we were moving a lot back then and it was a victim of our nomadic lifestyle.

Lovely machine... welcome back!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lurking here for a couple of months with a registered account and much longer before that. I've had a TI-99/4A system since my Dad brought the first one home around 1981. I was starting high school at the time and after playing a LOT of Chisholm Trail (one of the first games we had) I decided to read that blue book that came with it. I learned BASIC with this book and the TI. Eventually, I got my own system, PEB, MBX and a whole bunch of other stuff. I majored in Computer Science and have been in the IT field the rest of my adult life.

I also had an Atari 400 and 2 Timex Sinclairs, but I never worked with them as seriously as the TI. I've kept all my TI systems, which now include 3 silver/black consoles, the PEB, and MBX. While I saved my Dad's and brother's TI consoles, I didn't save my Dad's PEB. Since then, I've been on a bit of spending spree. Picked up a beige system off eBay that had a VDP RAM error. Turns out it was a QI system and also had a bad keyboard. (I had an extra keyboard from Radio Shack -- Back when I worked during the Christmas break in college.) Since it was having video errors, I decided to get an F18 board for the system. (Although, one thing to note: The motherboard layout is different, so the F18 board is tilted due to the VDP RAM chips being in the way. I may get a socket or something to act as a riser.)

I've also purchased a nanoPEB and FlashROM99 cart. These have largely replaced my PEB and individual cartridges for most of my game playing and the like.

Attached are various pics of my systems, including the newest QI system, with the before and after F18 upgrade.

Hope I wasn't too long winded, but just wanted to introduce myself since I've gotten so much from this forum! I am amazed at how many people have developed new hardware for the platform! My thanks to all of you for getting me back into firing up my TI systems again.

post-51432-0-37142700-1494554706_thumb.jpg

post-51432-0-90301900-1494554709_thumb.jpg

post-51432-0-71362500-1494554712_thumb.jpg

post-51432-0-99914300-1494554716_thumb.jpg

post-51432-0-26941400-1494554722_thumb.jpg

post-51432-0-33162400-1494554726_thumb.jpg

post-51432-0-65206800-1494554730_thumb.jpg

post-51432-0-52186100-1494554735_thumb.jpg

Edited by rickneff68
  • Like 7

I've been lurking here for a couple of months with a registered account and much longer before that. I've had a TI-99/4A system since my Dad brought the first one home around 1981. I was starting high school at the time and after playing a LOT of Chisholm Trail (one of the first games we had) I decided to read that blue book that came with it. I learned BASIC with this book and the TI. Eventually, I got my own system, PEB, MBX and a whole bunch of other stuff. I majored in Computer Science and have been in the IT field the rest of my adult life.

I also had an Atari 400 and 2 Timex Sinclairs, but I never worked with them as seriously as the TI. I've kept all my TI systems, which now include 3 silver/black consoles, the PEB, and MBX. While I saved my Dad's and brother's TI consoles, I didn't save my Dad's PEB. Since then, I've been on a bit of spending spree. Picked up a beige system off eBay that had a VDP RAM error. Turns out it was a QI system and also had a bad keyboard. (I had an extra keyboard from Radio Shack -- Back when I worked during the Christmas break in college.) Since it was having video errors, I decided to get an F18 board for the system. (Although, one thing to note: The motherboard layout is different, so the F18 board is tilted due to the VDP RAM chips being in the way. I may get a socket or something to act as a riser.)

I've also purchased a nanoPEB and FlashROM99 cart. These have largely replaced my PEB and individual cartridges for most of my game playing and the like.

Attached are various pics of my systems, including the newest QI system, with the before and after F18 upgrade.

Hope I wasn't too long winded, but just wanted to introduce myself since I've gotten so much from this forum! I am amazed at how many people have developed new hardware for the platform! My thanks to all of you for getting me back into firing up my TI systems again.

ahh a QI console :D

ahh a QI console :D

Poor little guy -- He can't help that he was born a QI console!

Seriously, one of the reasons I picked it up (other than I knew that I could fix it) was so I could play around with doing some of the hardware modifications I've been itching to do. I have too much sentimental attachment to my original systems to recklessly start hacking at them. I don't have that issue with this one.

• Like 1

Still want one of those QIs. MOD MOD MOD! :D

Yep, one of the reasons I got this was to do some hardware hacking on the thing.

The odd thing about the QI system is that the shielding is soldered on one half of the board, yet just clipped to the other side. I really would have preferred a screw or two similar to the older shielding. The good part of the QI design is that the shielding is only on the bottom. I don't have to cut up the shielding if I put IC sockets everywhere or put something on that sticks up a bit.

I also like the neat clip-on heat sink the VDP uses too. Although, the VDP was the first thing I replaced on the system.

• Like 1

Yep, one of the reasons I got this was to do some hardware hacking on the thing.

The odd thing about the QI system is that the shielding is soldered on one half of the board, yet just clipped to the other side. I really would have preferred a screw or two similar to the older shielding. The good part of the QI design is that the shielding is only on the bottom. I don't have to cut up the shielding if I put IC sockets everywhere or put something on that sticks up a bit.

I also like the neat clip-on heat sink the VDP uses too. Although, the VDP was the first thing I replaced on the system.

My first plans for the thing mostly involve fixing the cart port, replacing the firmware if necessary, and documenting that procedure. That may mean a pin-compatible replacement chip since I'd prefer to not need to pilfer custom chips from working systems. I'm sure there's a dead console I could pull GROMs out of somewhere, but ...that's a thing that can be done nowadays without even much fuss. :D There just hasn't been a huge demand yet.

Yet. ;)

• Like 1

Welcome back to the fold!

• Like 1

Finally, I now have my permanent retro corner setup. The TI sits very nicely in the corner with just enough room for the PEB, although this is only half of my collection and I've still got to figure out how to get the continuous paper to feed from underneath the printer.

ROOM1.JPG

ROOM2.JPG

ROOM3.JPG

ROOM4.JPG

I bought the chair today from Staples for only $129, with $100 off. It's really comfortable. I'm going to put up a couple of hutches on the wall for all my bits and pieces, books etc and another table opposite. This will be the work table for projects. The walls could go with some more period artwork - any ideas guys?

• Like 9

Wyerd, where did you get that desk? I like it!

Thanks! Charlie's Office Furniture, Queensbury. It's a local office store. It's basically a showroom for this catalogue http://www.charliesofficefurniture.com/catalog.html . Real prices are around 40-50% less than listed. I routed all the power cables underneath the desk.

This picture on Mainbyte just has to go on the wall. http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/big.html

• Like 1

Most of my collection have 240v PSUs, so I've started to convert them instead of using the bulky step up transformer that's hiding between the Memotech and Einstein. I built one for Memotech and I'm working on one for the Einstein based on the Mean Well PT-65B. Should get the parts next week.

I've still got to figure out how to get the continuous paper to feed from underneath the printer.

I have the Panasonic KXP-1123, an earlier model from what you have (KXP-1124?), and I run the continuous feed perforated paper out the back to a box on the floor. Alternatively, you can find cheap risers on Ebay so you can feed it from the bottom. I have been using that printer for over 25 years now and it is still going strong! I did hoard up a stash of ribbons for it just in case though :)

• Like 2