IGNORED

Intellivision beyond Intellivision

Jess Ragan

I was wondering... has anyone kept tabs on the creators of the Intellivision after the system's retirement? Apparently their intent was to jump ship to other consoles, like the NES and Sega Genesis. They did release one NES game, Monster Truck Rally, but vanished before they could localize Curse, a decidedly lackluster shooter for the Genesis. (It wasn't their fault exactly... Curse was developed by Micronet, designers of that atrocious turd Heavy Nova and its inexplicable Sega CD sequel Black Hole Assault)

When they resurfaced as Realtime Associates (complete with one of the funkiest logos I've ever seen from a video game... viva la Nicktoons!), they produced a lot of oddball titles. The best of these is likely Q*Bert 3 for the Super NES, but another game of note was Normy's Beach Babe-O-Rama, a side-scrolling platformer (very) loosely based on the life of Keith Robinson. It wasn't going to give Sonic the Hedgehog or even Ristar any real competition, but at least the artwork was charming, looking very much like Hallmark's Shoebox Greeting cards.

Were there any post-Intellivision games by Realtime Associates or other members of the Blue Sky Rangers that you fondly remember?

Just to clarify: the companies you're referring to (Mattel, INTV Corp., and Realtime Associates) were really three separate entities. INTV did not create the Intellivision; it was started by an ex-Mattel marketing exec (Terry Valeski) who acquired the rights to the Intellivision after Mattel Electronics was closed in 1984. They kept the Intellivision alive into the NES and Genesis era, which was an impressive feat in itself, and they added about 25 games to the Intellivision library. However, I'm not aware that they did any in-house development themselves; they contracted the work to Realtime Associates, an independent company started by David Warhol and other ex-Mattel programmers. Realtime's Intellivision titles for INTV were mostly enhanced versions of earlier Mattel titles, but Realtime was not owned by INTV and was not limited to the Intellivision, so they also developed for newer platforms. Monster Truck Rally for the NES, for example, was developed by Realtime, even though it had INTV's name on it.

An impressive number of ex-Mattel people have remained in the game industry. In addition to Realtime, there is also Quicksilver Software, founded by Bill Fisher and Stephen Roney. Both companies are still in existence, and both have been involved in the various Intellivision emulation compilations that Intellivision Productions has released over the years.

• Like 4

Quicksilver Software was one of my favorite companies during the late 80's and early 90's. They made a ton of great PC games -- Castles 1 and 2, Star Fleet Command, Conquest of the New World, and many others. Realtime Associates was also a good company.

I miss Bullfrog and Psygnosis.

I guess they technically still exist as part of the larger organizations that took them over, but I miss the games those companies put out.

• 2 months later...

I just gotta say that Monster Truck Rally is one of my all time personal favorites for the NES, it's an underrated game IMO. I always thought it was cool that it said Intv Corp. on it, I really wish I had it boxed.. I probably pay up for that one. Thanks for the information, very interesting!

On a future episode of The Intellivisionaries Podcast, we intend to do a segment, if not an entire show, on the whole Mattel Electronics closing, the attempted liquidation of the Intellivision assets by Intellivision Inc, and the subsequent purchase of those assets, and new development by INTV. And then into how present day Intellivision Productions came about. And we'll hear straight from the sources (Keith Robinson, etc).

• Like 1

Are Carl and I 'etc'? :-P

Of course! I'd love to have you guys be a part of it; as you certainly played a key role in why there IS such a thriving Intellivision scene today. You know there is always an open invitation for you to come on the show. I want to try to coordinate a segment with you and Keith on at the same time too...