IGNORED

Cinemaware classic Wings is back

vprette

Actually, I think what killed them last time was that they were asking for way too much money.

They picked a much more reasonable amount this time.

As much as I'd like to think Mac and/or Linux users are a big enough market to affect a Kickstarter game, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with it..

They are at 62k out of 85k, so making good progress...

desiv

Actually, I think what killed them last time was that they were asking for way too much money.They picked a much more reasonable amount this time.As much as I'd like to think Mac and/or Linux users are a big enough market to affect a Kickstarter game, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with it..They are at 62k out of 85k, so making good progress...desiv

Well since a lot of the Amiga crowd is now the Mac crowd, it's ridiculous to not go for the built in audience immediately. Im not saying ignore the pc but the mac version should be released at the same time. the extra $10k seems to be just a money grab. is it going to cost them $10k to port it? nope. I would even buy the original if they ported it to the Mac. I still have it for my Atari Lynx. But Im not sending money to any company that ignores the Mac now. Especially since the new Macs easily match gaming pcs.

I wasn't exactly impressed with Cinamaware games. I like Defender of the Crown but that was about the only one.

TV Sports Football and Basketball were THE best sports games when they were released.

Wings, It Came from The Desert 1 & 2, and Rocket Ranger are all Hall of Fame games. I think that people that never owned an amiga don't realize the magnitude of these games at the time of their release. As you can see, I still have my Cinemaware library. :)

cinemaware.jpg

Well since a lot of the Amiga crowd is now the Mac crowd

Actually, the Amiga crowd became Mac users, PC users, Linux users..

Judging by EAB comments on why people left the Amiga (DOOM), I'd say most of them went PC.

However, Cinemaware didn't just make Amiga games... Lots of them (not Wings tho) were ported to the PC.

So there is a larger audience than just Amiga owners....

Always loved most of the Cinemaware games. Perfect proof that game doesn't have be be fast moving graphics to be fun.

It Came From the Desert and Defender of the Crown being 2 of the best without speedy space ships.. ;-)

(Not that I don't also love speedy space ship games.. I do..)

I still own Three Stooges (not their best, but cute and fun), Rocket Ranger, and Lords of the Rising Sun.

It's not just Cinemaware with the Mac tho. Seems like most of the game projects on Kickstarter (at least the ones I've seen) list Mac (and Linux) as a "Stretch Goal" and not part of the base.. Apparently its a good idea judging by the success of some of those projects.

Personally, I've waited for a few of them to hit their stretch (for Linux in that case), or at least get really close, before I went for them. ;-)

I've had a lot of fun with the remastered Leisure Suit Larry game, so hoping for similar with this..

desiv

TV Sports Football and Basketball were THE best sports games when they were released.

Did you see there is some guy who is still updating TV Sports (at least Basketball) for new teams/players??

There's a thread with new files on EAB! http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=71420

I have to try those sports games.. I think I missed them back in the day..

(I bought this awful game with Magic Johnson on the cover that had this looping crowd sound that was SOOOO ANNOYING!!! Don't think I've bought another sports game of any kind since..)

desiv

p.s. Nice Collection!!! :-)

Edited by desiv

Wings, It Came from The Desert 1 & 2, and Rocket Ranger are all Hall of Fame games. I think that people that never owned an amiga don't realize the magnitude of these games at the time of their release. As you can see, I still have my Cinemaware library. :)

cinemaware.jpg

So are you saying I never owned an Amiga?

My problem with their games were they had great graphics but mediocre gameplay. It was kinda like Drangon's Lair. Once you memorized where to align an on-screen object or when to click they weren't a challenge. Even Defender of the Crown suffered from that. Knocking down the castle wall was just a matter of pulling back the catapult to the right spot. Rocket Ranger was all about timing clicks when trying to take off. If you didn't play the games on a regular basis you might not notice but ALL their games were like that.

So are you saying I never owned an Amiga?

My problem with their games were they had great graphics but mediocre gameplay. It was kinda like Drangon's Lair. Once you memorized where to align an on-screen object or when to click they weren't a challenge. Even Defender of the Crown suffered from that. Knocking down the castle wall was just a matter of pulling back the catapult to the right spot. Rocket Ranger was all about timing clicks when trying to take off. If you didn't play the games on a regular basis you might not notice but ALL their games were like that.

for gameplay, the TV Sports games were awesome. DotC was an eye candy game and not my favorite. You are probably right about Rocket Ranger but It Came from the Desert was a good action/adventure game. Not all of their games were like DotC.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear they were successful. Ihad the pleasure to meet a guy from Cinemaware who showed me an early version on Android I believe. Very nice chap, and the company seems to be very fan-friendly. They are even looking into finally releasing the Mega-Drive-spin-off to It Came From The Desert on cartridge after the short delay of 20+ years. The beta is freely available, but they would be interested to do a physical release still. That's what I call fan-service. :)