IGNORED

Private message problems !

CPUWIZ

Guys, could you look into the PM part of the board and check why PM's would be getting swallowed somehow ? It happened 3 times today and it happened to Ed Siegler as well.

Cheers,

-R

:)

P.S. Whoever just sent me a PM in the last 5 minutes, I didn't get it. :(

I am looking at the problem now, although I have not yet personally experienced it. Nor will I as long as I am trying to reproduce it. :( Someone yesterday also told me about this, but at the time that was the only occurence that I was aware of, so I wasn't too worried about it at the time. If anyone can come up with a recipe for reproducing this problem, please let me know!

..Al

The problem for me is that sometimes I get a message saying that I have a PM and the message counter up on top of the page (that usually says "You have no new messages") also increases but there is no actual message in your inbox.

Perhaps the sender deleted the message before you read it? In that case, the email would still remain...right?

Something that I've noticed is that if I send multiple file attachments in a single private message, only the first one would be visible to me (as the sender). I haven't seen a problem with seeing multiple attachments as the receiver, though...so it's not a big deal.

Perhaps the sender deleted the message before you read it?  In that case, the email would still remain...right?

Yes, this is true. You can delete a message sitting in your "Outbox" before the recipient has read it. If you do this, they will never see the message. Since the "New Private Message" email has already been sent, the recipient is left scratching their heads wondering where the message went.

I wouldn't use the Private Message feature of the forums for anything critically important. This is public forum software first, and generally with software like this the "private messaging" is not always very well thought out or implemented. While private messaging with this forum software is not bad and is certainly much better than that of UBB6 (which we were running before the current software), it's not as good as using a real email client. :)

..Al

Albert,

I PM'ed you about ten minutes ago. Of course, that was before I read this thread. :( The time in my sent box says 1:22 pm on March 4. I don;t know that ifmormation will help you at all.

I was wondering if you got the message? The time in my sent box says 1:22 pm on March 4. I don;t know that ifmormation will help you at all, but I thought it might. :)

I was wondering if you got the message? The time in my sent box says 1:22 pm on March 4. I don;t know that ifmormation will help you at all, but I thought it might. :)

Yes, I did receive your message (and have since responded to it). Thanks for the additional information. I have not yet experienced any problems with private messages, and received quite a few yesterday in attempts to duplicate the problem. I'll keep trying, though!

..Al