IGNORED

Ultimate 1 MB Rom Configuration

vazquezrick

Everyone,

I recently installed the Ultimate 1MB upgrade into my Atari 800XL. Everything works great. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions of what carts to install into the extra carts slots. I have tried many 8k cart; however, I am only able to get Atari Pilot to work.

Does anyone know how to make the XEGS Game Slot load?

Thanks

Star Raiders, Asteroids and a number of other games, especially early ones operate as diag mode carts.

That means they get run as soon as the machine is powered on and generally do a lot of the early startup housekeeping that the OS would otherwise have already done.

Part of that procedure is clearing all the hardware registers. I suspect that the problem with some games not working might lie there. The Rom could easily be patched such that part of the clear register loop is removed.

I suspect 99% that the writes to PIA, e.g. STA $D300,X are probably corrupting the U1Meg configuration such that it causes a crash.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 2

Star Raiders, Asteroids and a number of other games, especially early ones operate as diag mode carts.

That means they get run as soon as the machine is powered on and generally do a lot of the early startup housekeeping that the OS would otherwise have already done.

Part of that procedure is clearing all the hardware registers. I suspect that the problem with some games not working might lie there. The Rom could easily be patched such that part of the clear register loop is removed.

I suspect 99% that the writes to PIA, e.g. STA $D300,X are probably corrupting the U1Meg configuration such that it causes a crash.

Thanks so much for explaining that, now I know it isn't something stupid that I was doing wrong.