IGNORED

Why do Ebayers think 400's should cost $150 and up?

ACML

I know they will fetch a bit more because they are nostalgia (my first computer) purchases, but why do so many Ebay auction ask the moon for the 400? If you look at recently sold 400's, they don't fetch half or even a third of these $150+ auctions. Yeah, I might buy a minty 1200XL or ATR8000 for $150, but not a machine that I have to spend $20 for memory and $25 for Svideo upgrades. Having to do those two upgrades is what keeps me from pulling the trigger. The 800 already has these upgrades standard, plus the nice mechanical keyboard. So, what's a stock good condition 16K 400 really worth to you?

PAL 400s must be quite rare as they were sold for around one year only. I only ever saw one of them in actual use by a real person outside a store. While I was glad to have an 800, I always found the design of the 400 cooler. The coloured keyboard, the sharper angles, the wedge shape of the main body and the way the cartridge door swung open when you hit the release button..... All those would still look nice on a shelf and on a shelf it won't matter whether it's PAL or not ;-) (so maybe I'll be tempted to pick one up on my next trip to the US - envy you for those Craigslist finds....)

I had two chances to get old computers from some Craigslist sellers. They both stopped communication even though I was willing to give em what they asked for.

(75 bucks for a great Apple IIC+ setup and 30 for an old 68000 series Mac. Classic 2 IIRC.)

Oh well. I didn't have the space for them really anyhow.

I still want an Atari 800 for Gorf and some of the oldest games. Plus I adore how huge, heavy, and gloriously 70s uggo it is. I am talking its like the Sears branded Intellivision model except 70ser!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I generally watch Craigslist for Atari hardware and most of the time my searches find nothing...until today...but right in line with what seems overpriced, $500 for 800xl, 1050, monitor, dot matrix printer, and a tape drives. To me, that seems way too high.

Am I way off? If not, what do you think this is really worth

http://seattle.en.craigslist.org/skc/sys/4230645206.html

Edited by Justin Payne

So, I generally watch Craigslist for Atari hardware and most of the time my searches find nothing...until today...but right in line with what seems overpriced, $500 for 800xl, 1050, monitor, dot matrix printer, and a tape drives. To me, that seems way too high.

Am I way off? If not, what do you think this is really worth

http://seattle.en.craigslist.org/skc/sys/4230645206.html

I'd think this would realistically fetch $150 on a good day. $500 is insane.

I'd think this would realistically fetch $150 on a good day. $500 is insane.

I'm glad you agree cuz I figured that guy was nuts. I mean, maybe if the thing was tricked out with all of the mods. Would it be in bad taste to just send him a, "Good luck". ;)