IGNORED

Charming The Golden Rope Is Pitfall Harry's Only Hope...

Trebor

...This is the message that scrolls at the bottom of the screen on one of the locations in the second quest of Pitfall II.

I have seen the Golden Rope and what I though at first was a key. However, after seeing the above message scroll across the bottom of the screen, I'm thinking the 'key' may have been a flute or some other instrument.

The second quest is *HARD* and challenging. By far, one of the most underappreciated Atari 5200 games. Not even the C64 version had this second quest. It introduces new creatures including 'Giant Ants', 'Pirhannas', and 'Psyco Bats' (All my own personal names :-)

What is also cool is how it maintains your score from the first quest on the right side of the screen, while on the left it picks up and adds/substracts from it.

Additionally, 'underwater' screens are twice the depth of the first game, and divide into different routes and passages (When your exit/enter the screen from the left or/and right sides).

-Trebor

P.S. Has anyone ever beaten the second quest or is there even a FAQ on it?

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: Trebor ]

I've beaten the second quest many times. I can remember getting so close when I was a kid and never being able to get that golden rope (those rabid bats are nasty!).

Your on the right track, you need the Golden Rope, the Flute, the Rope Charmer guy, and the Pot (basket). Once you get all these items go back to where you saw the message and you'll see the first (and only) true ending for Pitfall. Its not much by today's standards but back then it was so cool...

Yes the second quest is very hard, but it's defently doable. I never used a map, but I learned which way to go by watching the screen patterns and naming the various areas. Someone did make a map of the second quest, but I don't know where it is now. Try searching the net.

Tempest

You mean a map like this?  

Thanks! You da man :-)

Funny, I checked the archives for the Atari 5200 manual for Pitfall II, but didn't bother searching for additional information (I.E. Maps). Thanks again, Al!

-Trebor

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: Trebor ]

Just some 'additional/interesting' notes:

Pitfall II conversion note: (from David Crane personally) "The Pitfall II translations were an interesting story. Conversions of the game to Atari 800 and C64 [from the Atari 2600 originals, Eloquence's note] were begun at the same time by two different programmers (Atari 800 by Mike Lorenzen, and C64 by Tim Shotter) using my 2600 code. All three machines used the same microprocessor and therefore the same machine language.

"Mike chose to use my code directly and adapt the machine dependent routines to the new target machine. Tim used the original 2600 game as if it were a "design specification" and wrote all the code from scratch. Remarkably, both games reached the beta test point at about the same time. However, because Mike started with debugged code, he had no game play bugs while Tim had a full month of debugging left to do. In the extra time Mike designed an entire new level that begins when you reach the end of my game.

"This information has helped us make the code porting decision for all the years since."

...Obviously, the 5200 port is the 800 port. 2nd level design by Mike Lorenze and not David Crane. Interesting...

Wish I had the programming skills to make a 'REAL' Pitfall III. THAT would be a GREAT homebrew. Any takes? :-)

trebor where have you those quotes? love to read more!

btw. i should try to play pitfall2 because now i can save the game with the emulator... ;=) so the map2 should be great experiences...

what does happening when defeating map2? game over? or does "just pitfall harry knows what luys behind"???

quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Vigor:

A homebrew Pitfall II: Quest 2 for the 2600 would kick ass. The right programmer could do it. I mean, if the Cuttle Cart can be made, surely someone could make a sequel to Pitfall II. Fans - myself included - would pay $50 or $60 for it.

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: Matthew Vigor ]

There is a pitafall! 2 plus floating about on the web for 2600 emulators. It has a few bugs, but is playable.. And extremely hard!

A homebrew Pitfall II: Quest 2 for the 2600 would kick ass. The right programmer could do it. I mean, if the Cuttle Cart can be made, surely someone could make a sequel to Pitfall II. Fans - myself included - would pay $50 or $60 for it.

[ 03-12-2002: Message edited by: Matthew Vigor ]

The thing is, you wouldn't. Not if you knew how to make your own chip. That was why I mentioned the cuttle cart. Cuttle cart was programmed from scratch and all of the chips were new. He didn't gut superchargers, he just reprogrammed his own chips. The righ person could do it.

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

There is a pitafall! 2 plus floating about on the web for 2600 emulators. It has a few bugs, but is playable.. And extremely hard!

Are you sure? There is nothing about that hack either here or here.

Do you have a copy or a link?

Also, what emulator will play Pitfall II for 2600?

Do you have a copy or a link?

Try here-

http://www.tombstones.org.uk/~romulous/atari2600.html

Your looking for this-

pitfall 2 plus [h1]

Hopefully, Albert, Alex, or Tempest will add it to the AtariAge database. There some hacks for Pitfall! there as well.

Also, what emulator will play Pitfall II for 2600?

PCAE aka PC Atari can run Pitfall II. As well as Z26.

-Trebor