IGNORED

Would you recommend the Colecovision?

someone3760

I'm pretty sure you all will say yes (It is a Colecovision sub forum :) ), but why should I get a Colecovision? I won't really mind the controllers because I like the intellivision and its controllers are fine. If I were to get a colecovision, who should I turn too? If any of you guys has an extra and would be willing to sell (or donate! :) ) that would be appreciated. Thanks!

I guess that depends on if you like the games in the Colecovision's library. If you like games like Galaxian, Jungle Hunt, The Heist, or Pepper 2 the Colecovision may be for you. My suggest would be to try several of the "best games" in an emulator like bluemsx. (or if money is tight due that for a long term basis) I started playing the Colecovision again several years ago via emulators. Its only in the last year that I've owned real hardware.(I sold my original collection in 1995)Real hardware is without a doubt the best way to play these games but can be expensive and unreliable.

• Like 1

Ya, I probably can't do that. I can't spend 200$ for a coleco, im not old enough for a steady supply of income yet.

I honestly don't recommend buying a ColecoVision if you're young and money is any kind of an issue for you. A sizable portion of the systems you'll come across have something wrong with them, and getting a fully working unit (and power supply) is not particularly easy or cheap these days.

• Like 1

I honestly don't recommend buying a ColecoVision if you're young and money is any kind of an issue for you. A sizable portion of the systems you'll come across have something wrong with them, and getting a fully working unit (and power supply) is not particularly easy or cheap these days.

If you do buy a system I would recommend buying it from a local game store instead of on ebay. My local game store fully tests there units and offers a seven day return policy.

I always thought that it might be a great idea to expand the colecovision support base by having a colecovision sold with a killer app. A game you can't get on any other system and bundle it with a basic colecovision system.

Just a thought.

Of course I have 8 Colecovisions sitting on my shelf.

& a dina 2 in 1, and 2 adams

Edited by digress
  • Like 1

why should I get a Colecovision?

I would say, nowadays , for the fantastic homebrews released on it and the ones that comes!

I'm still amazed but the number of titles produced and their quality. The console has, i think (now or very soon), more homebrews published (CIB!!!) than official games!

30 years after! It is crazy!

Emphatically (sp?) yes.

As was said though, finding a system in the wild or Ebay that won't have issues is problematic. The on/off switch tends to crap out, so you're best off getting a modded system. Cart-wise you can get a LOT of great games for a few bucks, although don't get too excited about the "most popular" games, like Zaxxon and Donkey Kong. They aren't as good as they're made out to be. Games like Frenzy, Bump N' Jump, Cosmic Avenger are must haves. Your best bet is to get an Atarimax S/D cart and you'll have pretty much the whole library (with the exception of most of the homebrews).

Definetly though it's a great system.

If I were you, I would take a look at the library and do some research on how much it will cost you to get the games you really want. The homebrews are great, but can be very expensive to get when they are not being produced anymore.

It's a great system with great games, but can be pricy to collect for. If you just want to play the original games and don't care about collecting, The SD cart is the way to go.

Edit: Here's a good homebrew list that is updated regularly. Quite a few great games are available. Pac-man Collection is one notable sold out game that should be in everyones collection. :(

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206287-colecovision-homebrew-availability-list/