IGNORED

How to disassemble Atari 800XL case (spearate brown part from white)?

powergauntlet

1) I would like to disconnect the brown part of the top of the Atari 800XL case from the white part. I can see the three slides which go inside the holes in the white palstic, but it is also glued at both sides (at least I think so) because in these places it does not want to detach. Does anyone know how to do it?

2) The same question about the metal 800XL / 65XE logo plate. How to detach it safely?

I mean something like here in the photos:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sometimes the XL trim is just screwed on but you're unlucky in that respect and I wouldn't fancy trying to break the glue. Best way to get the bages off is to soften the adhesive by heating with a hair dryer, but I never once managed to remove one without bending it.

Edited by flashjazzcat

There's 2 or 3 versions of the 800XL and some have screws, others have plastic tabs that are melted in place. I'm not sure if I've seen a glued one but it's certainly possible.

One way to tell the 2 common variations apart is by the width of the lettering on the case ports.

These fellas speak the truth!

It's lucky when you get the kind with the screws, so you can disassemble it. However, I've washed and/or retr0brite-treated a few of the kind that are "melted" together. I used plastic tape to keep the retr0brite off of the brown part, and then after washing it, left it in the airstream of a high-velocity fan for an entire day to dry out the water trapped between the layers. I prefer the one that allows disassembly, but given more time and airflow, you can still dry out the inseperable one.

• Like 1

I used plastic tape to keep the retr0brite off of the brown part, and then after washing it, left it in the airstream of a high-velocity fan for an entire day to dry out the water trapped between the layers. I prefer the one that allows disassembly, but given more time and airflow, you can still dry out the inseperable one.

Exactly. I usually just "paint carefully" so the peroxide doesn't slather all over the brown plastic. It's no big deal anyway. I've never yet experienced peroxide draining the colouring out of the brown plastic, although I certainly wouldn't risk intentionally giving it the full treatment.