IGNORED

A new toy for the 7800

cschell

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mind that much memory but I doubt you will ever need that much.

Just look at what Andrew Davie is doing in 32KB for the 2600. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 512KB game for the 2600 with Andrew's graphics mode animations in it.

Nor would I ;)

The thing to keep in mind though is that Andrew himself says he's driven himself nuts and pushed himself to the wall getting moving full color graphics to work on 2600; and even when he succeeded the result is (albiet impressive) very flickery at best.  Anybody without Andrew's mind-bogglingly thorough knowledge of 2600 programming is not going to be able to achieve these results no matter how much memory a cart holds, and certainly won't be able to make the results look better than he did.

I dispute "very flickery at best". I'm sure it looks pretty good on a TV, and in my opinion what it looks like on an emulator is completely beside the point. Have you tried on the real thing? I doubt it.

A

What piece of 32KB programming are you talking about? I'd be interested to see this go on my 2600.

Would homebrewers be able to access the 4 KB Battery Backed SRAM to save game data? I love to have a synthcart with user programable sequences. (Or any other kind of neat game ideas)

There is a small amount available that could be used for this purpose, but I guess the trick would be everyone deciding on a format to use it as a community resource. (That is, one game doesn't clobber another.)

Chad