IGNORED

.dsk Image

RXB

Nope. Worked fine with the light switch. Outlet was deader than a doornail when light was on via the switch.Ahh

Ahh, that outlet was probably wired in parallel with the switch.

Switch on, and the current flows through the switch, as it is the path of least resistance. Switch off and the current flows through whatever is plugged into the outlet.

I remember checking a circuit with neon light that, I swear was dead, but the light would glow like nothing. I had the power cut and nothing I plugged into the outlet would work.

Turns out that there was enough current to energize the neon gas from other conductors in the same conduit that didn’t have their power cut. Just the EFI crossing was enough.

Edited by slinkeey

plug it in to a ups. the light show should stop.

Should not put a laser printer on a UPS. It can pop the inverter. There are UPSs that are rated for doing so, but I do not have one :)

Is it a brief dim or a dim the whole time the 128D and CRT was on? If it's just when you turn it on, that's not a big deal, that's called "inrush current". Many appliances do that. In fact, even some circuit breakers are rated above their 15A/20A for so many milliseconds for this very reason (AC kicking on, humidifier kicking on, etc.)

If it's a long term dim, yeah, I'd get your wiring checked out. Probably not related, but here's a good example of strange crap happening: When I was probably 8 or so, my family lived in a rental house for about six months that had an outlet that didn't work in a bedroom. When you plugged something into it, the more power it tried to draw, the brighter the ceiling light in the room would get. Whatever you plugged in wouldn't work, either. That was probably a fire waiting to happen.

Sadly, I have a rampant case of don't-give-a-shyt in this place. The landlord is an epic douche and I may have actually found a new place to live.

This reminds me of something. Sorry to go off topic. My brother's utility bill was through the roof when he lived in an apartment.. So we unplugged everything in his dwelling and turnen down his hot water heater. Well, the meter was still spinning. So we opened up the door on his circuit panel and there were about 4 240v 2-Pole breakers all unmarked. Anyways he shut these all down, and the meter stopped. He wasn't missing anything. His electric range & hot water was still energized.

Long story short, His electricity bill went down, but he was turning them off repeativly after the landlord would turn them back on because people were complaining that they didn't have hot water for days on end. He eventually got evicted for that.

Similar here. My hallways light was connected to half of my neighbor's range. Landlord disconnected it because the neighbor swore that our hallway light was causing his bill to go up. Have not had a hallway light for almost two years, now, as the epic douche never reconnected it to our panel.

More to your brother's situation, in Florida that would be actionable under our landlord-tenant laws if he had gone about it correctly. Once he found out the problem he could have asked the landlord to fix it. If the landlord did not resolve the problem, within two weeks before the rent is due you send a certified letter stating that he has seven days to correct the problem or the following months' rent will be held in escrow with the Clerk of the county Court. Once presented with the notice (and duly filed with the Court,) he cannot process an eviction as it would be considered retaliatory and thus justify treble damages. Had to do this with a former landlord who refused to fix ANYTHING in the house -- ultimately she settled for covering our moving and repair expenses.

• Like 1

My hallways light was connected to half of my neighbor's range.

Eeeks! 12 or 14 Guage on what I am guessing to be a 40Amp breaker

...if he had gone about it correctly.

That doesn't happen with my brother. He thinks that taking matters into his own hands, via brute force, is the correct way to solve problems.

Edited by slinkeey

Eeeks! 12 or 14 Guage on what I am guessing to be a 40Amp breaker

That doesn't happen with my brother. He thinks that taking matters into his own hands, via brute force, is the correct way to solve problems.

Vacuum cleaner ran really well on the fixture's outlet, I can tell you that. I am also familiar with family members who think brute force is the first rather than last resort to a situation.

So, I did some more measuring with my power supply. This is the wall-wart version. 80mA idle, between 170mA and 210mA with the console turned on (with Speech Synth.) At 120V that is 9W idle, 20-25W running. In line with what I scribbled down. I suspect I can bring that down with a more efficient internal supply and its up-stream supply. Might run a bit cooler, too. I cannot find literature to support this (and I lack the care to look, honestly,) but there is apparently a push for stand-by devices to draw 1W or less.

plug it in to a ups. the light show should stop.

Generally, it is not recommended to put a laser printer on to a UPS, injket's shouldn't be a problem. But then again, you probably wouldn't get brown outs from an inkjet in the first place, lol.

I am a huge proponent for UPS's though. I have all of my computer, stereo, tv, and important electronics on dedicated UPS's at my place. I've also gotten lucky and have acquired all my UPS's for free. Most businesses won't take the chance on replacing batteries so they typically toss the old UPS's and buy new. I do the swap and keep the old ones and replace the batteries myself. Voila, more UPS's than I know what to do with. I finally just had to quit taking them.

Cheers!

-Dano

Yup! I have been giving away my collection of smaller units (550 and 750.) Gave a 750 away for a CPAP machine. All I have left are one 750 and a bunch of units between 1000 and 1500 on everything, like you said. I even have a 1200 under my headboard. Funny -- a couple of weeks ago the power went out for about four hours. I was watching TV and had lights on in the living room and everything for about two of those hours. I might not have noticed had it not been for the multitude of relay clicks from all of the units around me and the ceiling fan stopping. (Definitely worth going around with a laptop, monitoring cable, and software to turn off the alarms.) Once I have a house I will have a generator, but for apartment living free UPSs are the way to go.

BTW, how in the heck did this thread get to this point??