IGNORED

Do 2600 controllers work for the 7800?

GKDAIR

I'm having trouble deciding between a 78 or a 26 for christmas. Now I know 2600 games work for the 78, but since the 78 controller uses 2 buttons, will the 26 controller work with 7800 games?

I also have some Genesis controllers lying around, but I've heard they only work with 2600 systems.

• Like 1

They will work fine however SOME 7800 titles DO require functions for the 2nd button, though I could not say how many or which titles I am sure someone more 7800 knowledgeable will chime in..............and before someone else mistakenly suggests (as I have seen happen) a Genesis pad will NOT utilize the 2nd button functions required unless it has been modded to do so........

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

yes all controllers will work on the 7800, Any controller that shares the common interface will work, I have amiga, Quickshot , Sega , Amstrad lots of controllers if it fits it works, But only beware that the only two button support exists within 7800 controllers, Other second party controllers that may have two buttons will not and yes its the same on the 2600, If it fits it works pretty much.

Funny to see this because I was just looking at a list of games that actually use 2 buttons, trying to decide if I want to pony up for one of those 7800 pads (I really DON'T want to, especially since I've never held one in person and they ain't cheap).

So I am looking at this list and I see, say one on one basketball says you need two buttons. Now, I had that for the XE and it played with one button. What was I missing? Choplifter says it needs 2 as well....it does?

Completely unrelated but I will say I noticed last night using my Genesis pad for Xevious somehow gave me auto fire. Which is...interesting.

one on one basketball says you need two buttons. Now, I had that for the XE and it played with one button. What was I missing? Choplifter says it needs 2 as well....it does?

One on One: One button is used to turn/shoot/steal, the other to call timeouts (timeouts use the J or B keys on the keyboard on the XE).

Choplifter: On the 7800, one button is used to shoot, the other to rotate your copter. On the XE, one button performs both functions, depending on whether you tap it or hold it.

This list will help:

http://www.atari7800.org/7800list.htm

Note:

Controller Legend
1 - Game is fully compatible with one button 2600 controller.
2 - Game requires two button 7800 controller.
1* - Game will work with 2600 controller but the feature mapped
to the second button is either missing or remapped.
L - Game is Light Gun compatible.
K - Program uses the 2600 keyboard controllers
N/A - No controller used.

I believe we have Mitch to thank for the excellent list and details.

I don't recommend the 7800 Euro pads. I've had one and it was awful. The buttons are too far apart and they stick easy. You are much better off getting a modded pad from one of the regulars areound here. There are folks who mod the Plug n Play Space Invaders controller and thegoldenax does a wonderful job converting nes pads to the 7800. He is having a rough go of it lately, but you might contact his other half, Wolfpackmommy, and see if they have a nespad ready to go. It is a real gamechanger.

I keep hoping to get someone to mod a virtua boy pad into a player1 and 2 7800 pad for Robotron and Indiana Jones 2600.

One on One: One button is used to turn/shoot/steal, the other to call timeouts (timeouts use the J or B keys on the keyboard on the XE).

Choplifter: On the 7800, one button is used to shoot, the other to rotate your copter. On the XE, one button performs both functions, depending on whether you tap it or hold it.

Ill be damned. I never took a time out apparently.

I don't recommend the 7800 Euro pads. I've had one and it was awful. The buttons are too far apart and they stick easy. You are much better off getting a modded pad from one of the regulars areound here. There are folks who mod the Plug n Play Space Invaders controller and thegoldenax does a wonderful job converting nes pads to the 7800. He is having a rough go of it lately, but you might contact his other half, Wolfpackmommy, and see if they have a nespad ready to go. It is a real gamechanger.

I keep hoping to get someone to mod a virtua boy pad into a player1 and 2 7800 pad for Robotron and Indiana Jones 2600.

I really appreciate the info because at 30-40 unheld...and it LOOKS uncomfortable....I don't really want to take the jump.

Kills me that there is not ONE bone stock 9 pin controller that can just plug and play.

This list will help:

http://www.atari7800.org/7800list.htm

Note:

Controller Legend

1 - Game is fully compatible with one button 2600 controller.

2 - Game requires two button 7800 controller.

1* - Game will work with 2600 controller but the feature mapped

to the second button is either missing or remapped.

L - Game is Light Gun compatible.

K - Program uses the 2600 keyboard controllers

N/A - No controller used.

I believe we have Mitch to thank for the excellent list and details.

That's the list I was using indeed, should have linked it. Very helpful.

• Like 1

Hey GKDAIR,

Here are some options:

Have the original 7800 controller mod by Yurkie:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/198160-ball-knob-mod-7800-controllers-dreamcast-cart-batteries-july-2013/

Reach out to wolfpackmommy to see if either she or her husband has any controllers (NES, NES Advantage, Space Invaders TVGames/Jakk, Sega Genesis, etc.) already mod for the 7800 available to purchase or has the time/resources to mod a controller that you can send them:

http://atariage.com/forums/user/23353-wolfpackmommy/

http://atariage.com/forums/user/18480-thegoldenax/

Post a 'Wanted to buy' topic for a two (independent) buttons controller for the 7800:

http://atariage.com/forums/forum/46-wanted/

Happy gaming!

Anybody familiar with Best Electronics?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

I stumbled upon them through an ad on ebay for 7800 joypads where the guy was like "don't buy them here, buy them from the source, OR you can buy them from me" (it's a weird listing).

Tons of NOS it looks like and a 7800 pad for 17 bucks (tho not sure what shipping is, the site is a little...jumbled. To be nice). For 17 I;d buy one just to have in the collection, I can classify that as "larf" money. Like to know if anyone has dealt with them and if it was good or bad.

Edited by GoldenWheels

Anybody familiar with Best Electronics?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

I stumbled upon them through an ad on ebay for 7800 joypads where the guy was like "don't buy them here, buy them from the source, OR you can buy them from me" (it's a weird listing).

Tons of NOS it looks like and a 7800 pad for 17 bucks (tho not sure what shipping is, the site is a little...jumbled. To be nice). For 17 I;d buy one just to have in the collection, I can classify that as "larf" money. Like to know if anyone has dealt with them and if it was good or bad.

Good. Call them, you'll get good service over the phone. I just purchased a refurb'ed Atari Lynx from them and am very happy with it.

So basically, for a lot of the 7800 games, I'm forced to use bad controllers? I know some people might argue with that statement, but I never hear good things about the 7800 controllers, except they are slighty better than 5200 controllers.

The 7800 controllers aren't *that* bad. Any controller is playable with a little practice. The biggest problem with the 7800 is on two button games, which there (fortunately) aren't many. Whatever genius decided to put the two buttons on *opposite* sides of the stick probably never played a videogame in his life. The main adjustment though is that the sticks are nearly impossible to play for long periods and/or in free roaming games due to the fact they're at stiff as an oak tree. Games like Ms Pac-Man, Galaga, Asteroids where there's limited movement are fine. Games like Centipede, Food Fight, Joust where you're constantly pushing will absolutely KILL your hands. but again, in MOST cases as was already said you can use a Genesis pad or any 2600-compatible stick instead.

^^ That statement is pretty accurate. They aren't that bad. It's the buttons that push in sideways that I don't like. Try playing anything that requires lots of button pushing and your thumb will hate you. Example: Asteroids. You'd think they would have learned from the Intellivision, colecovision, or 5200 controllers. But nope. No innovation.

I dunno, I think the stocks are "that bad". It's not even the buttons that bother me. It's my left hand having to stabilize the thing while I use the stick with my right. Went and checked some of these two button games last night and my left hand felt like a crab claw after about 15 minutes. It's pretty awful.

Also this is not worth it's own thread and people are reading this topic I guess: Does your guys 7800 hold your cartridges with a death grip? I never owned one as a kid and the one I have now is my only one ever. So I have no comparison. Mine is like, reproduction NES system bad so far as putting a death grip on the carts.

Edited by GoldenWheels

I dunno, I think the stocks are "that bad". It's not even the buttons that bother me. It's my left hand having to stabilize the thing while I use the stick with my right. Went and checked some of these two button games last night and my left hand felt like a crab claw after about 15 minutes. It's pretty awful.

Also this is not worth it's own thread and people are reading this topic I guess: Does your guys 7800 hold your cartridges with a death grip? I never owned one as a kid and the one I have now is my only one ever. So I have no comparison. Mine is like, reproduction NES system bad so far as putting a death grip on the carts.

The later 78s had a tighter cart slot and have a few compatibility issues. I have an early one that works like a dream and a later model that almost needs a vice to get games out. You might try to get an early model/low serial number unit at some point. I know my late 7800 also hates certain games. Its AV modded, but I went back to my old one because it works better.

The best pads are still mods. You will want a two button solution for Commando and homebrews at least, and nes pads and modded Radica controllers are the best affordable options.

Ok thanks guys, good to know. I literally have to press down on my system to be able to get the carts out....I could lift (and probably shake) the whole 7800 by the cart if I wanted.

And while I am throwing out random 7800 qs.....the Camerica Freedom Stick, which is marketed as for working "with Atari"....doesn't work with the 7800 as a two button? Right? Just want to be sure.

Edited by GoldenWheels

Ok thanks guys, good to know. I literally have to press down on my system to be able to get the carts out....I could lift (and probably shake) the whole 7800 by the cart if I wanted.

And while I am throwing out random 7800 qs.....the Camerica Freedom Stick, which is marketed as for working "with Atari"....doesn't work with the 7800 as a two button? Right? Just want to be sure.

Unless stated specifically 7800 compatible assume not. If you don't want a crummy controller for 7800 a modded Genesis or NES pad is about your only option.

I had the Freedom Stick. It was a cool controller with the Nes/Atari adapters. It was very much like a clickier Nes Advantage. I do not recall that mine functioned as a 2 button Atari controller though. Great for C64, NES, and 1 button Atari. It would be a cool controller to mod though. It is line of sight IR though, so I usually just put it on my desk directly in front of the reciever. Too often I would have problems losing the IR signal.

I had the Freedom Stick. It was a cool controller with the Nes/Atari adapters. It was very much like a clickier Nes Advantage. I do not recall that mine functioned as a 2 button Atari controller though. Great for C64, NES, and 1 button Atari. It would be a cool controller to mod though. It is line of sight IR though, so I usually just put it on my desk directly in front of the reciever. Too often I would have problems losing the IR signal.

It was also cool because it had the buttons to both the right and the left of the joystick. As such, it was an improvement over the NES Advantage [and despite my hate of Nintendo, I really enjoyed the Advantage]. I wonder if the rapid fire selections on the Advantage work on the modded-for-7800 ones. The Telegames/Best Electronics versions of the standard ProLine joystick have rapid fire switches. I wonder if Yurkie (sic) has modded any of them...

I had the Freedom Stick shaped like the Nes Advantage. They changed it to a triangle at some point, but I saw that it was compatible with the Master System which means it would be one button on the 7800 unless you modded it. The Master System and 7800 both had two buttons, but a MS controller in a 7800 only works like a single button controller. I have a MS, but I never had it at the same time as the Freedom Stick. I miss it... it was a really solid feeling controller.

• Like 1