IGNORED

Restoring TI equipment and accessories

Omega-TI

A lot of our equipment is 30+ years old, so I thought a good thread would be to share techniques for restoring our equipment to that "as good as possible" look.

Now, people have put their TI cases in the dishwasher for a 'super cleaning', or have just used "Armor All", but this thread is to share other ideas and methods that we have come up with ourselves or that others may not of heard of.

To start off this thread I thought I'd show a simple fix I just came up with to make a totally worn out joystick stem look better... METAL TAPE.

This joystick was thrashed when I got it, but after a lot of elbow grease, rubber feet, Armor All and the metal tape I no longer feel the need to hide it out of sight. It's not perfect, but I can live with it.

med_gallery_35324_1027_48137.jpg

Come on, share your method or idea, we are all in this together!

Edited by Kevan

I've had real good luck with a "soft" toothbrush along with a small bucket of warm dish-soapy water.

Oh yeah, the 'ol toothbrush does wonders for those little grooves that seem to collect dust. I tried compressed air and that sometimes does not even get it all out. Speaking of dust and gunk, one of the first things I do is remove that nasty little piece of fabric in the cartridge adapter. It seems to get cartridges dirty more than anything else. It's not surprising really,after decades of collecting gunk.

Speaking of cartridges, if you have one that does not seat properly, or has it's traces worn down over decades of use, lay a thin film of solder down on all of the cartridges contacts that go into the GROM port. It'll seat much better, and you'll no longer get the errors from a loose cartridge. Clean the cartridge contacts first with rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth.

I've had real good luck with a "soft" toothbrush along with a small bucket of warm dish-soapy water.

This is the way to go :). I bet vinegar would work well, too. I use the slip cover for my console, so it really hasn't gotten dirty, surprisingly.

My TI came to life cosmetically using Predge Multi Surface.

Hmm, 99% natural... makes you wonder what nastiness makes up the other 1%. I understand your dedication to a local employer, but J&J is hardly a local company ;).

This is the way to go :). I bet vinegar would work well, too. I use the slip cover for my console, so it really hasn't gotten dirty, surprisingly.

I've got that slip cover too! But my TI usually lives in a box until it comes time to play with it. I'd love to have a room in the house where all these computers and consoles could stay out all the time. But alas, not today.

J&J? Johnson & Johnson?

S.C. Johnson & Son is *NOT* the same as Johnson & Johnson.

Totally - I got mixed up there, but all titles aside, the point is the same. They are a big conglomerate, most definitely not a local organization ;).

I've got that slip cover too! But my TI usually lives in a box until it comes time to play with it. I'd love to have a room in the house where all these computers and consoles could stay out all the time. But alas, not today.

Yeah I hear you. Prior to finding a place to set it up in our place here about six months ago it had been boxed away. Hopefully you can find a solution to remedy that :).

Totally - I got mixed up there, but all titles aside, the point is the same. They are a big conglomerate, most definitely not a local organization ;).

Indeed, but bear in mind that even conglomerates hire local people to work in their local offices. We have an Oracle (nee Sun Microsystems) office here in Tallahassee. Oracle's based in California, but this office employs local workers.

Indeed, but bear in mind that even conglomerates hire local people to work in their local offices. We have an Oracle (nee Sun Microsystems) office here in Tallahassee. Oracle's based in California, but this office employs local workers.

True. That's good to hear about Oracle, but unfortunately that's not always the case ;).

Yeah yeah.. I said biased because I have friends and family that have worked there, and they have done quite a bit for the community here. I am not pushing their products. Just stating what I used, and then stated that I might be biased. It's still ran by the Johnson family, here in Racine, WI. It's not publicly traded. Yes, they do outsource, and I am not proud of that. They also bring much character to my community with their Frank Lloyd Wright buildings and etc.

Sure, they may not be what it used to be years ago, but if we want to turn this thread into some anti capitalism crap, go for it.

Corporate Office:

JohnsonWax1978.jpg

Golden Rondelle Theater:

15556576.jpg

Windmills at Manufacturing Plant:

AR-121219818.jpg

Edited by slinkeey

I bought one of those covers too, but it's in a box with my backup console. They just are not practical to use if you have a widget plugged in to the TI. Also, it only has an opening in back for the power cord, not the original monitor cable, let alone an opening for the after-market F18A port. Also it's a little thick to use with the speech synthesizer plugged in.

Now if somebody's grandma started making thinner version with a pocket to handle the widget and three cartridges and all the correct openings for cables.... well let's just say grandma might be busy for all the business she would probably get. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Awhile back someone was talking about getting their old TI P-Box powder coated. I just cannot remember where that message was. Does anyone else remember? Did they ever follow through? Are their photos of the finished product?

Has anyone else ever painted or restored a P-Box to "NEW" looking condition? If so, any photos? I'd love to see it. How has the paint job held up?