IGNORED

The NEW High Score Club S2 ~ Week 31~ Double Points 1 ~ Solar Fox

Vocelli

Is it legal to use difficulty a? Looks like all it does is let you go at the fast speed without the button mashing.

We have the choice between a or b diff. I prefer B because I like to start off slow on the "challenge" screens in order to position myself initially. Other than that, I go full speed ahead all the time. ;)

• Like 1

There seems to be a certain incubation period necessary for this game, during which it seems impossible to make improvements. But when you stick with it, suddenly you'll have a breakthrough game and then it gets easier. Even then it seems to be one step forward and two steps back, but at least it no longer feels impossible ;)

Thanks for the pep talk! I'll give it another try. I wanted to try for 100K, but was so far from it with no improvement in sight.

I thought this game was the last Atari 2600 cartridge I purchased in the wild (after I stopped collecting). Turns out, it was Star Fox.

Edited by Miss 2600
  • Like 2

1,364,800 (rack 68)

post-34560-0-45919600-1386970762_thumb.jpg

I think they start firing more rapidly each time you complete another 20 racks...

for anyone using the "B" difficulty setting, I would suggest:

try to limit your slow flying -- the best way to score points is by beating that "skip-a-rack" timer: not only does it give you a nice bonus (better than the bonus rounds do), but it also skips you past a rack, getting you further along to the larger bonuses! the bonuses get pretty huge in the last 5 of each set of 20 racks. (racks 15-20, 35-40, etc.)

• Like 2

We have the choice between a or b diff. I prefer B because I like to start off slow on the "challenge" screens in order to position myself initially. Other than that, I go full speed ahead all the time. ;)

I go slow at first on the challenge screens, too. When playing diff. A, the button acts like a brake, instead of the gas. That allows for easing into the challenge screen and saving the thumb, which doesn't have to hold down the button all the time.

:thumbsup: <---(rested thumb)

• Like 1

I go slow at first on the challenge screens, too. When playing diff. A, the button acts like a brake, instead of the gas. That allows for easing into the challenge screen and saving the thumb, which doesn't have to hold down the button all the time.

:thumbsup: <---(rested thumb)

Awesome tip! I didn't know about the braking mechanism on diff A :idea:

617,400. I've been able to get well over 400k before losing a ship, but like many other games, I get impatient after first death and lose more ships on same rack. All in all though fun game, have yet to get into psycho zone like Baz and Zoyx.

post-34612-0-85310500-1387065238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Northcoastgamer
  • Like 2

Almost NCG score!

617,400. I've been able to get well over 400k before losing a ship, but like many other games, I get impatient after first death and lose more ships on same rack. All in all though fun game, have yet to get into psycho zone like Baz and Zoyx.

Sometimes I get impatient after a death too. That's my main problem with modern games nowadays. I can't continue after dying, I often lose the will to keep playing after dying in modern games...

• Like 1

Thank you all for the tips, but I seriously don't get this game. I absolutely can't do it...

New score: 61,400.

I don't know how many times I have reset in rack 1. In >30 attempts, I managed to do the challenge rack just once. This game is kicking my ass.

I'm in the same boat. I can't even get to the score I previously posted. What I don't understand is how to avoid getting hit by enemies coming at you from the edges. You don't see them, they just hit you out of the blue. How are the edges being cleared out rack after rack without being hit? Are you guys noticing enemy flying patterns?

Edited by Miss 2600
  • Like 1

no improvement. gets too crazy

What I don't understand is how to avoid getting hit by enemies coming at you from the edges. You don't see them, they just hit you out of the blue. How are the edges being cleared out rack after rack without being hit? Are you guys noticing enemy flying patterns?

Ya that's an important point, you can't trust the edges. When they pass by, Then get the stuff at the edge while enemy is on the other side. always staying away from the edge if the sentinel is approaching

the cells in the middle at the top edge: you can zoom straight to the middle two ones right at the beginning! I do that every time a rack has them. Straight to the top, left one space & down. those two middle ones at the top & bottom are the worst.

I also have the problem NCG & Lid mentioned, despairing after a death. After many resets in early stages, I just have to take it and keep playing after an early death. If I can just get some distance into it & get an extra life the early death doesn't matter so much. I think all of my 1mil+ games started with a death inside the first 5 racks. It's been a theme to find a moment when I can accept it without getting pissed or reseting, and keep going. "taking it in the shorts with a smile."

I also like to say something silly when I die & then keep saying it again with every death. it gets redundant & makes dying funny instead of frustrating. one of my favorites is "you idiot! (why'd you shoot me??!) "

• Like 4

I'm in the same boat. I can't even get to the score I previously posted. What I don't understand is how to avoid getting hit by enemies coming at you from the edges. You don't see them, they just hit you out of the blue. How are the edges being cleared out rack after rack without being hit? Are you guys noticing enemy flying patterns?

My method might be a little bit different from our mega-high-score-club (I think I'm not as steady as them.)

I start almost every round by moving down a couple of rows, then left, then up any row that doesn't have a bullet in it. Then, as the top gun is moving left, I move down while the bottom gun is moving to the right. I play most of the game finding a clear column and moving up or down. I play sideways only when its wide open or when instant death is the only alternative.

It gets to be almost like riding a seesaw up and down as the guns come and go.

Edited by Scrabbler15
  • Like 1