IGNORED

Canadian Power Supply

Pork Chop Express

Hi everyone, first time long time.... Anyway just got what I think is a Canadian colecovision power supply off ebay (the one with the brick in the middle and the wires coming out each end) and unfortunately can't get it to work. I've read that these are generally pretty reliable, a couple questions if I may: will these only work with a Canadian colecovision unit? (I have no idea if mine is Canadian or US, though I suspect its US) Or, can they be fixed for a reasonable amount? Would love to be able to use this instead of the wall brick.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The U.S. and Canadian power supplies are interchangeable with any North American system seeing as they are identical with the exception of the multi-language stickers on the console as well as box and manual text. So this would not be the issue.

Do you have another power supply that you now is working with your system? If you do, then the Canadian Power Supply that you just obtained is indeed bad and there is no avenue for repairs anymore now that Yurkie has stopped his very short-lived repair service for these units due to running into some unforeseen problems.

At best, I would save the cord that plugs into the CV as this is not a standard connector and they can always be used with a converted P.C. or Arcade Switching Power Supply.

Yeah my CV works fine with my current power supply. Oh well got a good deal and it came with some games so I'm not really losing a lot of money. The seller said that he tested it and it worked for him, and he has pretty solid feedback so I've no reason to doubt him. Guess it got damaged during shipping. You win some you lose some! Thanks again for the help!

I found the CV power supply that plugs directly into wall/power source, the one wire version, U.S. version I assume? at Value Village. I didn't even realize there were 2 versions. Took it home and it works but makes a noticeable humming/buzzing noise. Not sure if it's safe to use, so i don't.

The buzzing usually means that there is a capacitor that needs to be replaced (on occasion old capacitors begin to leak). I'm not sure who could do that for you, but if you could find someone it should be an easy enough repair. With power supplies, they can retain dangerous voltages for as long as several days, so if you attempt the repairs yourself do so with caution.

• Like 1

The buzzing usually means that there is a capacitor that needs to be replaced (on occasion old capacitors begin to leak). I'm not sure who could do that for you, but if you could find someone it should be an easy enough repair. With power supplies, they can retain dangerous voltages for as long as several days, so if you attempt the repairs yourself do so with caution.

Thanks for the reply. I have 100w tube guitar amps which have lots of capacitors and have been told the same thing about dangerous voltages the caps store for days or longer. I've been wondering what the humming is all about, and have asked others before with no replies, so thanks again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)

Edited by Rik