IGNORED

What are you playing on your PlayStation 4?

Algus

I started playing Earthlock, but got bored with it halfway through the campaign. Same with Pillars of Eternity, where I quit after completing the 2nd of 3 chapters. Can't they make RPGS with interesting stories anymore? Last hope is Cyberpunk 2077 it seems... ;)

Conan Exiles, God Of War and Far Cry 5 are my main games right now. I dropped God of war for a bit because spongy enemies that kill you in one shot doesn't make you feel like a god of war... The art direction, story and level design are fabulous tho.

Really pleased and surprised by Far Cry 5 after the mixed bag that was 4. It's tons of fun.

Conan is still very buggy but a fun experience. It's refreshing for me cause i never played a survival/ fort building game before and it fits the conan universe rather well.

I'm still playing solo/offline for now so i can aclimate myself before going multi.

I'd be interested to see the concept adapted to mad max but i fear that the formula could feel a bit tired by then, but who knows...

• 2 weeks later...

I just got WipEout Omega Collection because of the VR update. It took me a while to get it because no local stores had it anymore. (The update came out at the end of March.) I don't know if that's because of the update or what, but I had to get it off Ebay. Even the big online stores generally didn't have it new.

Anyway, it's *phenomenal* in VR. It's pretty good in standard mode too but it feels a lot more familiar that way because, well, it's WipEout, and specifically a mashup of three games that had been released on other systems. (All of which I own in one way or another.)

But in VR, it's just crazy. Everything's better when it fills your field of view and becomes your reality, but this game is just so fast and so frenetic in VR that it's impossible not to get physically into it. I find myself bobbing and weaving all over the place as I'm playing, laughing at stuff that's going on, or shouting expletives into thin air. It's really an experience.

• Like 3

^ this enthusiastic writeup is the first thing that made me kinda want to try PSVR. I like plain Wipeout but being immersed in it would be fun to try.

I know I wouldn't play with it enough because of the space and wiring hassles -- I play few enough console games as it is -- but if a super cheap PSVR setup fell into my lap, this is the first game I'd play.

^ this enthusiastic writeup is the first thing that made me kinda want to try PSVR. I like plain Wipeout but being immersed in it would be fun to try.

I know I wouldn't play with it enough because of the space and wiring hassles -- I play few enough console games as it is -- but if a super cheap PSVR setup fell into my lap, this is the first game I'd play.

You know, I recently got an HTC Vive setup for doing game reviews for them through a third party, and, relatively speaking, the wiring and space demands for the PSVR are not so bad in comparison. It's my understanding that the so-called "inside-out" tracking of the newer Windows headsets has fairly simple wiring requirements, but is not as accurate as the two separate wall- or tripod-mounted sensors that are really a requirement with the HTC Vive. I wonder if those Windows headsets are as good as (or better) than PSVR?

Anyway, the point is, from my personal experience, I'd say that the PSVR actually requires less space and wiring hassles than many of the similarly powerful alternatives, which, particularly in the latter's case, is still quite a lot. That kind of says something about the current state of VR, but man, this is still some cool technology even as-is.

OK, if I see a legit good deal, I'll jump in.

I just took a peek at eBay prices ... first impression is there's a lot of setups that are "headset only" or missing crucial pieces. A nicely priced setup for $109 with free shipping was interesting ... but it was from a 0 feedback person ... in Australia.

If I can get it in a store or from a reputable retailer for $150, I'll give it a spin. It works OK with the original PS4, right?

I just got WipEout Omega Collection because of the VR update. It took me a while to get it because no local stores had it anymore. (The update came out at the end of March.) I don't know if that's because of the update or what, but I had to get it off Ebay. Even the big online stores generally didn't have it new.

Anyway, it's *phenomenal* in VR. It's pretty good in standard mode too but it feels a lot more familiar that way because, well, it's WipEout, and specifically a mashup of three games that had been released on other systems. (All of which I own in one way or another.)

But in VR, it's just crazy. Everything's better when it fills your field of view and becomes your reality, but this game is just so fast and so frenetic in VR that it's impossible not to get physically into it. I find myself bobbing and weaving all over the place as I'm playing, laughing at stuff that's going on, or shouting expletives into thin air. It's really an experience.

Wipeout is next on my list to try on PSVR. I've heard nothing but good things about it with words like "killer app" thrown around.

I got my PSVR wiring under control by running most of it behind my entertainment center. The headset now has its own shelf in the entertainment center, so when I put it away, all the wires are out of sight. It works for me, easy to take out, easy to put away. No unsightly cables when not in use.

OK, if I see a legit good deal, I'll jump in.

I just took a peek at eBay prices ... first impression is there's a lot of setups that are "headset only" or missing crucial pieces. A nicely priced setup for $109 with free shipping was interesting ... but it was from a 0 feedback person ... in Australia.

If I can get it in a store or from a reputable retailer for $150, I'll give it a spin. It works OK with the original PS4, right?

Yes it works find with the original PS4. I was able to get mine brand new off ebay for $185 ($199 - $15 off ebay coupon). It was standalone, but I already had the camera so I didn't need another.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the term "killer app" is pretty apt for WipEout in VR. It would have been great if they'd been able to launch this with the headset, but obviously it wasn't ready in VR even for the game's own release later. It's pretty amazing that they were able to retrofit a VR upgrade onto the *entire* game via a simple update when Gran Turismo Sport still can't manage to get it working in any mode with more than 2 cars on the track.

One of the great things about WipEout in VR is that there are a lot of different options for how to lock the camera. By default, it's locked to the track, so that the track is always flat in your field of view even as your ship is rolling around. You can see the ship rolling (the default view is a cockpit view that's new to the VR mode) but it's detached from the camera. This is supposed to help anyone prone to motion sickness.

But if you want, you can lock the camera either to the cockpit or to the pilot (you), which is just crazy! I usually play WipEout from the forward view so I'm used to the camera being locked to the ship, but I can see how these views would make some people sick. It's really like being on a roller coaster going mach 1.

One tip for anyone else who plays this in VR - go into the options at the beginning of a race and turn OFF the confusingly named "headset" option. I was afraid this would kick me out of VR but it's actually just an option to simulate wearing a helmet in the cockpit. The effect with it on is to have blinders on the sides of your FOV. Turn it off and the race fills your FOV.

• Like 1

One tip for anyone else who plays this in VR - go into the options at the beginning of a race and turn OFF the confusingly named "headset" option. I was afraid this would kick me out of VR but it's actually just an option to simulate wearing a helmet in the cockpit. The effect with it on is to have blinders on the sides of your FOV. Turn it off and the race fills your FOV.

For anyone who hasn't tried VR "Blinders" are one technique they use try to minimize motion sickness-- they block motion from your peripheral vision. If you aren't prone to motion sickness, you will want to disable this and other 'comfort settings'-- but test your tolerance first :)

Damn, now I need this.

Oh yeah ... the vomit factor is another reason I wasn't jumping headfirst into VR. How long can you play like this?

Last night I played for about 3 hours straight and I didn't want to stop, I just had to go to bed. (It was 3:30AM and my wife has warned me not to come to bed after that on days she's working.)

I think if you're used to Wipeout, you wouldn't feel any motion sickness no matter which camera mode you play in. To me it's just the way Wipeout was always supposed to be. I remember playing the original game on my 27" CRT, turning all the lights off and trying to really immerse myself in it so I could feel the speed and motion. I always wanted to play it on bigger and bigger screens, but now I know that it's VR that I really wanted.

Combat races are definitely nuts and I probably couldn't take it for long if every race was like that. I always look forward to the combat races but that's because they're spaced out in between regular races and zone events. But yeah, if you're going to get sick, I think it's probably during the combat, which is just non-stop flying through explosions, waves tearing up the race track, and just generally being knocked around all over the place, in *addition* to all the regular roller coaster effects.

" To me it's just the way Wipeout was always supposed to be."

I think I understand what you mean, even without trying VR. They've redone this so many times yet it's pretty much the same the whole time. We don't notice the grainy low resolution or framey slow animation until the next improvement comes along, at which point it's hard to go back.

I'd almost hate to ruin "2D" gaming for myself by tasting the full treatment.

Oh yeah ... the vomit factor is another reason I wasn't jumping headfirst into VR. How long can you play like this?

I have never vomited, I guess I'm not that prone to motion sickness. Worst I ever had was a slight discomfort in the stomach

I'd almost hate to ruin "2D" gaming for myself by tasting the full treatment.

It hasn't ruined 2D gaming for me, It's just another type of gaming. 2D still has more graphics detail, but VR has a sense of presence in the game

Some games that aren't much fun in 2D become fun in VR. Like I would not give much time to any pong clones in 2D, but there's a 3D pong-like game in PlayStation Worlds that is fun. I'm not sure a game like Job simulator would be as fun as a 2D game. And Moss would probably be a rather unremarkable as a 2D puzzle platformer, but it looks and plays amazing in VR!

Also VR reminds me of 1980s gaming in that developers are putting out a lot of smaller, innovative titles to find out what works in the medium.

• Like 1

I decided to finally play Bioshock for the first time ever. I picked up the PS4 Collection for under $20, so I figured it was time to try it. I finished the first one a few weeks ago, and I'm near the end of part 2 now. I really loved the first one and completely understand all the praise it receives. I'm also enjoying the second one, but I find it doesn't have the same charm as the original. I don't enjoy the Big Daddy character as much as I enjoyed the character from the original. I also find the weapons feel more generic, and underpowered compared to the original. But it's still a fun game. I'm pretty sure I will finish up part 2 tonight and move on to Infinite. I'm not sure what to expect from part 3, but I do know that the new location seems like it will be a neat change of pace. I guess we will see.

I have never vomited, I guess I'm not that prone to motion sickness. Worst I ever had was a slight discomfort in the stomach

Same here, and the games I have more of a problem with are horror games, not fast action games. So I don't think it's even really motion sickness. I'm not sure what causes it in some people but I think it has to be either that some people are just prone to motion sickness in general (like some are prone to sea sickness) or they're just not used to games with a lot of fast motion. I'm sure there are at least some people who bought into VR because it was the hot new thing even though their gaming experience to that point was like, Candy Crush and Angry Birds, or maybe Mario and Zelda. But I think most people who are used to modern console gaming probably don't have any problems with motion sickness in VR.

It hasn't ruined 2D gaming for me, It's just another type of gaming. 2D still has more graphics detail, but VR has a sense of presence in the game

It hasn't actually ruined it for me either but it has definitely made it harder to play games that aren't VR, especially games that I feel like should be. My favorite game that I've played in the past year is still Bayonetta 1/2 on the Wii U/Switch (I have both), and that is a style of game that really wouldn't work in VR. But I never really thought Wipeout Omega was worth picking up before the VR mode, because it's just more of the same otherwise and it's never going to live up to its potential on a 2D screen.

I think probably about 75% of the games I've bought over the past couple years have had a VR mode. I look for that now. Otherwise it's gotta be a game that just isn't suited to VR but takes full advantage of being played on a screen.

I decided to finally play Bioshock for the first time ever... I'm not sure what to expect from part 3, but I do know that the new location seems like it will be a neat change of pace. I guess we will see.

Bioshock Infinite is one of the best games I ever played, but it gets *super* hard right at the end, at least for me. I never did quite finish it, and I still go back every once in a while and try. I played it on PC, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe they toned it down on PS4 because you have to use a controller, I'm not sure.

I loved all the Bioshock games, but Infinite is definitely the most memorable for me.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Bioshock Infinite is one of the best games I ever played, but it gets *super* hard right at the end, at least for me. I never did quite finish it, and I still go back every once in a while and try. I played it on PC, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe they toned it down on PS4 because you have to use a controller, I'm not sure.

I loved all the Bioshock games, but Infinite is definitely the most memorable for me.

At this point in my life, the primary reason I play video games is to relieve stress and relax. Because of this, just about any game I play, I play on the easiest setting, which is what I'm doing with the Bioshock Collection. I'm not sure how that lines up with what you did. Bioshock 1 and 2 haven't been too difficult for me on easy. I've only died once between the two games. I'm not really looking for the challenge anymore. I just want to play.

• Like 1

At this point in my life, the primary reason I play video games is to relieve stress and relax. Because of this, just about any game I play, I play on the easiest setting, which is what I'm doing with the Bioshock Collection. I'm not sure how that lines up with what you did.

I was playing on "normal", however I did eventually change it to "easy" at the end on one of my retries. I still couldn't get past the last set piece. I read strategy guides, forum posts, etc. all of which seemed to take a very methodical approach and made it seem easy on any difficulty level, but I just could not get it. YMMV; I think my problem is when I have to quickly and repeatedly switch between different weapons and magic (Infinite calls these different things than earlier Bioshock games). I don't want to go into too much detail so as not to spoil it for you. But that kind of thing is a problem for me in a lot of games, whereas I know to other people those quick changes are just like hitting any other button.

I was playing on "normal", however I did eventually change it to "easy" at the end on one of my retries. I still couldn't get past the last set piece. I read strategy guides, forum posts, etc. all of which seemed to take a very methodical approach and made it seem easy on any difficulty level, but I just could not get it. YMMV; I think my problem is when I have to quickly and repeatedly switch between different weapons and magic (Infinite calls these different things than earlier Bioshock games). I don't want to go into too much detail so as not to spoil it for you. But that kind of thing is a problem for me in a lot of games, whereas I know to other people those quick changes are just like hitting any other button.

I know exactly what you are talking about because I sometimes have the same type of trouble. However, for whatever reason, I haven't had any issue with the "weapon wheel" method of changing weapons in the first two Bioshock games. I'll definitely try out part 3 after I complete part 2, but if I get stuck at the end, I will probably just move on to something else. As I mentioned before, once a game becomes stressful, I tend to move on to something else.

For example, Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite games of all time and it's a game that I've come close to doing 100% of everything that you can do in that game. However, some of the time trials on hard difficulty are just too much for me and I eventually decided that it just wasn't worth it to me to try and complete them. Although, on the flip side, for a regular story playthrough, I can keep it set to hard and still find the game relaxing and enjoyable.