IGNORED

Need some input

schuwalker

So I'm thinking up buying a modded out Genesis rather than touching my original one I picked up at launch.

Have a few question...What are the must have mods?

1)compnent audio and video jacks in the back.

2)overclocking 7 to 10mhz

3)language mod

Any others that you can think of? And is option #2 on my list a absolute must?

I was thinking about having this done on a (High Def Graphics) model 1 Genesis... (Sorry I don't know the model differences.)

The overclocking does not make much of a difference. You'll notice things like less lag if you lose lots of rings at once on Sonic and maybe less slowdown in some other games but it will cause your console to heat up a lot more, and some consoles overclock worse than others, so it's hit and miss.

I wouldn't bother with the audio jacks, you could just use the headphone jack at the front of the console. If you can't find any way to use RGB SCART or S-Video, the component video jack mod might be worth it.

I'd add a 50hz/60hz switch to that list. Most games are designed for NTSC/60Hz but there are a few made for 50hz and that, with the language switch will literally allow you to play every single game on your console as you can just use the correct region settings for that game.

Also, remember to widen the cartridge slot or perhaps buy a Japanese Mega Drive if you want to play Japanese games because the cartridges are shaped differently to USA and PAL cartridges.

Language (region) mod lets you play imports (generally Japanese) that otherwise would not play due to region lockout present in some games.

I wouldn't bother with the cart slot modification when a game genie lets you play imports just as well.

And just to throw another option in, you could use a video-modded 32x as a plug-in video mod for any system that can support a 32x.

Language (region) mod lets you play imports (generally Japanese) that otherwise would not play due to region lockout present in some games.

Ah, so it's not a "Language" mod, per-se, just a region mod. That makes more sense. To the OP, I would recommend doing this mod as well. I have had plenty of imports personally that have been locked out of my system.

Ah, so it's not a "Language" mod, per-se, just a region mod. That makes more sense. To the OP, I would recommend doing this mod as well. I have had plenty of imports personally that have been locked out of my system.

Yup, same mod I'm pretty sure. I guess it's called a language mod because when you flip the region on a cart that doesn't have lockout, you'll often get the other region's version. You can turn Streets of Rage 2 into Bare Knuckle 2, I think.... but SOR3 has lockout so you'd only get an error.

It's both at the same time pretty much. Most early games don't even bother to check the language setting and will just run in their respective language. While some games such as Streets of Rage will run as Streets of Rage with the ENG setting selected or Bare Knuckle with the JAP setting selected.

It depends on the game if it will refuse to boot in 50hz/60hz or ENG/Jap mode or not.

Streets of Rage 2 PAL and JAP copies are identical for example. They will run on 50hz/ENG machines, 50hz/JAP machines and 60hz/JAP machines, but not 60Hz/ENG machines because the USA has its own version with some stuff censored i think and that version will ONLY run on 60hz/ENG consoles.

Edited by SkullBlade

The language mod IS a language mod. Many early games have Japanese and English versions on the same cart.

This in combination with 50/60Hz mod allow to use all games.

Overclocking is recommended. Many games benefit from it. But if slowdown is no issue for you you don't need it. Overheating is no problem for a 10 Mhz OC. It only becomes an issue if you go to even higher clock speeds. 12 Mhz is still okay too, but no more. How high you can safely oc a Genesis is different from machine to machine, but 10 Mhz should always work. Be sure to get a switch though, so you can switch between 7 and 10 or 12 Mhz anytime as some games become glitchy with higher clock speed. Just use the oc for games that really benefit.