IGNORED

The NEW High Score Club S2 ~ Week 32 ~ Double Points Week 2 ~ Gyruss

Vocelli

another small improvement, but getting there!

My tip: Turn the sound down. Way down.

Also, I find that if I position myself between two yellow squares(missiles), I am in better position to shoot more enemy spaceships, but this may only work in the earlier rounds -- not sure about it when the pace gets fast and frenetic.

post-27900-0-26608500-1387266027_thumb.png

• Like 1

Shucks, Karo. :_( Thanks :grin:

And I like your cat, Gorfy! I am big cat lover- and owner too...

What I like about the 2600 HSC: the fun-factor- this HSC is not as "serious" as the ColecoVision HSC...

@Vocelli: some game-suggestions for the next season:

Mr. Do!, Fatal Run, Klax, Road Runner, Crossbow, Ikari Warriors, My Golf, Zaxxon, Wizard of Wor, Sky Skipper, Double Dunk, Real Sports Basketball (Proto), Xenophobe, Star Wars: The Arcade Game, Kung Fu Master, Double Dragon, Off the Wall, Secret Quest, Atlantis, Amidar.

@all HSC-players: on which machine and with which controllers do you play for the HSC?

Mister VCS: Atari 2600AP vader or 2600P sixer with the CX-40 joystick.

• Like 4

@ Mister VCS -- some excellent suggestions there;

I've especially been itching to play me some Zaxxon (I realize that a lot of people complain about this version, but I've never played the arcade or any other version, so the 2600 port is quite fun to me!)

I almost always use a CX-40. Anything else feels alien to me :P

Right now I'm playing on a 7800, but I also have my original light sixer from the early '80's (need to fix the difficulty switch on it, but otherwise the old workhorse functions just fine!!). I picked up an old 4-switcher at a yard sale for $5.00 this summer as a back-up, but still haven't tested it out.

• Like 2

Great games, Mister. And I have little to no experience in all your games! It will be a very anti Liduario season! :lol: But a very funny one. :thumbsup:

I like all controllers so I can choose the best one for every game. ;)

That's why I stopped using the keyboard, I thought it wasn't too fair to have all these options + the keyboard.

I used for this season the CX-40, a modded nes gamepad, a modded nes advantage joystick, paddles and rarely a master system gamepad.

And I'm not yet satisfied with all these controllers!

My CX-40 is getting bad with intense use, I need to get a new one.

I'm looking for a pair of dynavision paddles, especially to play marble crazy. These paddles have 'suckers' to fix it in the table.

• Like 1

Great games, Mister. And I have little to no experience in all your games! It will be a very anti Liduario season! :lol: But a very funny one. :thumbsup:

I like all controllers so I can choose the best one for every game. ;)

That's why I stopped using the keyboard, I thought it wasn't too fair to have all these options + the keyboard.

I used for this season the CX-40, a modded nes gamepad, a modded nes advantage joystick, paddles and rarely a master system gamepad.

And I'm not yet satisfied with all these controllers!

My CX-40 is getting bad with intense use, I need to get a new one.

I'm looking for a pair of dynavision paddles, especially to play marble crazy. These paddles have 'suckers' to fix it in the table.

The most of my CX-40ies work fine. And I forgot Desert Falcon, Demons to Diamonds and Trick Shot on my list.

I can rarely use my original hardware these days, since I'm away from my own appartment for weeks on end due to work. I hope that once my girlfriend and I have moved into a bigger appartment together, I can set up a nice little gaming corner.

If I am at home, I play on a Junior. As joystick, I use either a Competition Pro, or this awesome piece of technology. Most of the time, I have to play on Stella, but at least I got a 9-pin USB adapter now, so that I can use the original joysticks on my Laptop.

@ VCS: Amidar is a great game, love it. But we already played Spider Droid this season, which is identical gameplay-wise, just with different sprites. Your other suggestions all sound cool. Some weird stuff.

Edited by karokoenig

Proper control and movement is vital for all good scores, regardless of game. I consistently try many controllers until im satisfied with the results. For example, I used the Sears Video Arcade 2 controller, with the built-in paddle knob, for Breakout that we played recently. It worked better than a paddle controller for me. Wico Command Controllers also perform well for various games. The Slik Stik is is a great joystick for small hands. VPIs High Score is a very nice arcade style table top controller. Occasionally I even use the Tron joystick, though not the greatest, it has suction cups and does work pretty good on a few games. Here's a pic of some of my arsenal.

post-34612-0-01458100-1387383738_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

post-34560-0-25647600-1387430661_thumb.png

Lovin' this game, thanks Voc for choosing Gyruss

I think whoever programmed it did a great job, maybe they were just pressured for time?

it seems to only lack some fine-tuning elements

if I'd had this game growin' up I'd have played the crap out of it

Also lovin' those suggestions MrVCS, especially Kung Fu Master, Mr Do!, SW Arcade, Klax, Ikari Warriors & Double Dragon... A fellow supposed former Nintendo junkie? but they are also lesser played Arcade titles for 2600 as well. :thumbsup:

& more cheers to this HSC -- the most fun & my favorite ;)

I usually play on a 4-switch woodgrain (orange trim, Taiwan) model VCS w/ CX-40

(My roommate, a non-stop Marvel War of Heroes fanatic, got quite a kick out of watching me play Oink! this season.) when that is not possible I play using Stella (or rarely, Z26) & the keyboard, or Saitek P220

post-34560-0-11610200-1387431912.jpg the one that screwed up my game in Lady Bug & Spiderdroid

if only I had a Stelladapter...

• Like 3

Yes, I love my Stelladaptor :love:

So glad I was able to purchase one while it was still available.

I'm using it right now, since Gyruss is not among the approximately 250 2600 carts I own (mostly loose). Surprisingly, it also works for the Intellivision homebrew, Christmas Carol vs the Ghost of Christmas Presents |:)

• Like 1