IGNORED

Who did Adventure Enhanced?

dr. kwack

If you don't think you need Atari's permission, I don't know why you think you'd need the permission of someone who made an impressive but technically infringing hack of Atari's code.

I say that as someone who did a popular and rather involved hack and then never understood why people were asking my permission to distribute it when they obviously didn't care about what the actual copyright holder thought. Further, anyone who releases anything on the Atari (short of the use of unusual bankswitching or custom hardware) has to do so with the realization that there's a guy in the Massachusetts boondocks who is going to sell carts for people without consulting or compensating the games' creators.

That said, looks like KevinMos3 did the hack, and many other interesting ones too. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/154984-hack-project-thread-galaxian-arcade-double-dragon-xenophobe-etc/

Actually this is Atari Age store policy. I'm not looking for Atari's permission, I was looking for permission of the person who did the hack. The listing in the store for a custom 2600 cart reads...

"We will NOT make cartridges of homebrew games or hacks without the original author's permission. Please secure that permission (or point us to where the author has said it's okay to make cartridges, such as a forum thread) before placing an order."

But thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Multiple year BUMP.

KevinMos3 posted a nice cart label for this so I don't see the problem with making a cart of it.

I just saw Adventure Enhanced for the first time recently, when No Swear Gamer posted a video on YT about it. I was not aware of it, imagine my surprise because it is a very graphically faithful port of 5200 Adventure II's visuals plugged into the original 2600 engine. Complete with animated fountain, moving grass, sword that points in the correct direction, and the isometric looking walls . I really chuckled at the dragon bones in level 1.

At first I didn't know who did it, as I'm don't keep track of everybody's real names. But I soon found a thread about it. KevinMos3 using Nukey Shay's kernel. My question: is it more than just a graphical hack? Where there any other tweaks/hacked made to it? I can't tell based on the subject thread below.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/154984-hack-project-thread-works-in-progress/

• 7 years later...