IGNORED

Best Genesis launch Titles?

LynxVGL

When I added my own Genesis to my collection back in the early 90's, I didn't get a pack-in title. I have a 2nd Generation model and have a nice collection of Genesis, 32X & SCD titles. For the past year I've been adding launch/early release titles to my cart collection.

Currently my launch/early release cart collection includes:

Altered Beast

Super Thunder Blade

Golden Axe

Ghostbusters

Super Ghouls & Ghosts (Goblins, whatever...)

Herzog Zwei

Sonic

What are other quality launch/early release titles that you can recommend? Alien Storm needs to be on my list soon too...

There isn't much to choose from.. but I recall Golden Axe coming out a number of months after launch. Still could be considered an early release though. Sonic on the other hand, is nowhere near launch/early. ;)

For me, I love them all as they formed the core of my intro to the 16-bit world along with the Turbografx, but I'd have to say Super G&G, Herzog, and Thuderforce II for early launch genny titles.

Revenge of Shinobi is another early one worth picking up.

Indeed, Revenge of Shinobi was amazing and kind of a system seller. I remember the German press drooling when the import was reviewed, after the somewhat disappointing launch line-up that game was regarded as truly next-gen. I still play it today.

Besides that:

Ghouls'n Ghosts

Strider

Shadow Dancer

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

And some people liked Spider-Man fairly well.

if 1991 is still considered "early", then Jewel Master is mildly entertaining. Might be worth picking up. Twin Cobra is also worth checking out. Great top-down shooter, although it can get pretty hard thanks to its forced start-back mode. And then there's OutRun. Really, no early Genesis library is complete without that game.

I feel like Phantasy Star II was pretty close to launch (I could be mistaken). I remember it costing something ridiculous like $60 - $80 dollars but it was mind blowing.

I believe it came out in the first quarter of the following year of the launch.

My buddy had it on preorder, it wound up being $90.00.

Thunder Force II is one of my favorite Genesis launch titles. Although it was far surpassed by Thunder Force III and IV.

Sword of Vermillion is decent, though I believe it was only a launch window title in Japan.

Actually Vermillion came over a year after the MD launch and months after Phantasy Star II in Japan. Still an early game in my book though. :)

My favorites have been mentioned already.

"Truxton" is okay if you're into tough vertical shooters. It isn't much to write home about in the graphics department. In 1990 they started coming out with shooters that pushed the console such as "Gaiares" and "MUSHA".

Forgotten Worlds was the game that convinced me to buy a Sega Genesis. It's not a perfect arcade conversion, but in 1981 (and even 1991) it was damn close. Sagaia is another early shooter that's worth a look... for my money, it was better than the Sega Saturn version despite that game being more faithful to the arcade original.

Jewel Master is nifty if only for the fact that the tunes in the game are named after progressive rock epics.

I feel like Phantasy Star II was pretty close to launch (I could be mistaken). I remember it costing something ridiculous like $60 - $80 dollars but it was mind blowing.

A Phantasy Star title would be nice, but I have zero time for 16bit (or modern for that fact) RPG's anymore. :(

Genesis games were really exciting in the first few years. The system's performance was so beyond what I was used to. I didn't buy a Genesis until 1992 I think, but I'd play it at friends' houses and it kept amazing me! I've been playing my many Genesis games for the past few weeks, even crappier ones, I'm just in that "early 90's" gaming mood right now.

I still play and replay a lot of those early 1989-ish Genesis games:

Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf is a really fun and addictive little golf game.

Super Hang On has all the fun of the coin-op, great music too.

Revenge of Shinobi is fantastic!

My still-favorite games from 1990 are MUSHA, Shadow Dancer, Thunder Force III, Super Monaco GP, Batman and Strider.

But I think the games that really won me over were my friends' games in 1991 - Spider-Man vs Kingpin and especially Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Like 1

My still-favorite games from 1990 are MUSHA, Shadow Dancer, Thunder Force III, Super Monaco GP, Batman and Strider.

But I think the games that really won me over were my friends' games in 1991 - Spider-Man vs Kingpin and especially Sonic the Hedgehog.

Too bad the only way to experience MUSHA these days is through emulation unless you want to spend over $100.

I remember renting it for 99 cents back in the day. I wish I'd bought a bunch of copies.

With the games some are suggesting, I might as well suggest Shinobi 3, and Gunstar Heroes as good launch titles. :lol:

To be fair he asked for "launch/early" games. I think 1991 games are still fairly early for a system released in 1988 and with the last official game coming in 1998.^^

All the more for me, as us poor Europeans had to wait until 1990 for the system launch. :)