IGNORED

Intellivisionaries episode 4 available!

Rick Reynolds

Merry Christmas! We talk about the home-brew game "Christmas Carol Vs. The Ghost of Christmas Presents", interview its designer/programmer James 'dZ Jay' Pujals, and do an in depth discussion of the game itself. We also interview Phil Boland about his Sears Overlay Set. And this episode is packed with holiday goodness, including a reworked Christmas Mix of The Intellivisionaries Theme, Intellivision Christmas music, and an additional original Christmas tune ("Lonely Christmas" - by Paul Nurminen) that accompanies our 'end of year' outtakes. Grab some eggnog, sit back and enjoy!

Links:

The show's website: http://www.intellivisionaries.com/

Listen online: http://www.intellivisionaries.com/website_player.html

Show notes: http://www.intellivisionaries.com/show_notes_ep04.html

Subscribe via itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/intellivisionaries-podcast/id714110184

• Like 5

Hahahaha!

Remember guys... embrace 'pause technology' on your podcast/mp3 players! There's no requirement to listen all in one sitting. We're providing a month's worth of entertainment with each episode!

ø

Darn you! Now I'm late for a meeting! (And my voice is so whiny! And that accent!! :lol: )

I guess I never considered the size of a podcast to be a problem. If I have half an hour drive to work, I can either listen to a 30 minute Retroist podcast, or I can listen to the first 30 minutes of RGRU or Intellivisionaries and pause (also known as ripping the earbuds out of the jack and stuffing them in my pocket). When I have time to listen again, I start the show again, or I might go to something else and then come back to it.

I think the only suggestion I could make is to do something to make the longer episodes more navigable. I had seen some podcasts that chapter their segments and a few others that upload a new image for each episode that displays time stamps for the show segments.

• Like 1

To Paul, William, and Rick,

I want to thank you very much for the honor of having me on your show. I apologize for being a bit long-winded (or a lot long-winded :o ), and I hope that listeners find the information interesting. I certainly had fun talking about it.

I am very impressed by the special treatment you gave my game, and I'm touched by the wonderful things you had to say about it.

Thank you and MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

About podcast length:

I don't have to speak for Nurmix - he's on the forum also. But he's the one who takes on the burden of putting the show together each month from all the recording we do. I believe by making the choice to do a monthly podcast, we're optimizing his time to a degree. He only has to work on a podcast once a month. Because he's only editing once a month, he can spend the time to do the cool production stuff that marks our podcast. For example, he remixed our theme song this month to make it sound Christmas-y - which is very cool. If we published shorter episodes more often, I'm not sure that he would have the time to do that kind of thing.

Now he doesn't have to do that, of course. But this is the kind of podcast he wants to produce.

It also dovetails nicely with my sentiments as well. I really wanted to do deep dive analysis of these games. I don't see us doing that in a much shorter format.

Also, we've had 2 interviews per episode in each of the last 2 episodes. That really adds to the length as well, but I don't think that will be something we'll be able to maintain consistently. Some episodes will have one interview, some none.

Nurmix, if I'm talking out of my sleeve here and not representing your interests properly/accurately, go ahead and correct me.

All the above in mind, I really do appreciate when people chime in with feedback and ideas. I don't want to sound like I think we've got everything figured out and have no room to improve.

• Like 2

I'm only an hour into it. Sounds great so far! :)

Thanks Phil. And thanks again for coming on the show for your interview. I've made my own Intellivision overlays from time to time, but I did the 'spray paint the back' method.

...gotta figure out your secret laminating process now... or just pay you to make me the ones I need!

Can't wait to get my Sears Set!

Good interview Dz.....you really conveyed the stress of CGE and staying up all night to finish manufacturing games. Too bad all we had to make was 30 copies ;-)

That's right! We built 100 units of each game and sold a fraction of that. CGE was a lot of stress. It was a lot of fun as well, but for the most part I was in a daze, overwhelmed by the excitement of releasing of the game, and then by the frustration of finding the bug.

I recall David Warhol playing Christmas Carol with a smile on his face. That was really nice. However, I also recall D2K being the star of the show. Mostly people came to play D2K and stuck around to play Christmas Carol. :) Overall, it was a great experience.

-dZ.

• Like 1