IGNORED

Memories of your Christmas Holidays?

F-Cycles

Hi everyone,

Christmas Holidays will be starting soon... maybe for some of you, you already are on vacation? Or, maybe for other... this year, there will be no or little vacation.

As I remember my previous Christmas Holidays when I was a kid and teenager... getting my first video game console... Coleco Vision, my first computer... to taking time to start some ambitious software projects in Basic on Apple IIgs (writing a word processor - and being enthusiast to see the automatic word wrapped to the next line appear on screen!)...

I remember asking my brother... How they make game for Coleco Vision?

And my older brother explaining me that they draw stuff on piece of paper and put the drawing in a machine (that was his believe :). And myself... scratching my head... but how the machine know what you draw will end up being a car or a plane? And why they don't draw with more colors then? hehe...

please.. feel free to add your Christmas Holidays memories... maybe there was already a thread like that in the previous year?

• Like 1

My passion for the ColecoVision started during the holidays.

My brother got the console as a gift, and I had a Commodore VIC-20. My brother loved playing arcade games and he enjoyed playing Donkey Kong for weeks at home, but started to want more games. So, my brother brang cartridges from friends, bought Q*Bert lose that way. He also used my computer with tapes copied from friends and this way played even more games. Meanwhile, I was more interested into learning how to use the computer, code my own things, with the help of listings from the user manual and various books, but not magazines. By looking at games on the various tapes my brother had I've learned how was coded some games and made my owns. A few years later, my brother got a Commodore 64 and hundred of floppy disks and a dozen of magazines. We both tried to type the listings in these magazines, mostly games, but also some utilities which increased my capacity to make new games and improved my programming skills even more. It took me a long time to code my own games using sprites (VIC-20 has no sprites, but C64 do have sprites) but this last piece of graphic capability helped me to figure out how to code the various cool games I was playing during years on the ColecoVision. During university, my brother gave me the ColecoVision console and games, and since then haven't played ColecoVision again... but I do play, it's plugged and ready whenever I want.

Happy holidays!

• Like 2

My passion for the ColecoVision started during the holidays.

My brother got the console as a gift, and I had a Commodore VIC-20.

Wow... :) On my side, I remember me and my brother got a ColecoVision for Christmas with 2 games: zaxxon & smurf. The year.. 1987. Dad told us later that he got the machine and 2 games at 88$ at Canadian Tires. He was not sure to buy it... but he told us that he ask the saleman.. How much it was originally sold? 300$... Then he got suspicious about the drop of the price from 300$ to 88$, he though maybe that thing cost 8$ to make!? The reason which decide him to buy that kind of entertainment was to know the company was in bankrupt... okay that's why they sold it that low.

That Christmas, we did not receive any other gifts... and that was the concern of my parents... would we play 5 minutes and get bored?

Then any other gifts we asked for was... ColecoVision Games...

We end up with around 24 games...