IGNORED

Thinking of getting a PS4

Tickled_Pink

... for next Christmas.

Yes. I really am planning ahead.

TBH Christmas this year hasn't been that great. In the past we were able to buy all kinds of things for the girls but money has been extra tight this year - mainly because my wife's completely useless at budgeting. So I'm going to start taking over our finances for the new year to see if I can do any better.

In the past we've managed to get each girl a 'main' present and a few other smaller things. Not this year, although neither has complained. In fact, the youngest's favourite from this year is a Breyer horse collectable that she's not even going to play with.

I want next year to be different so, if all goes according to plan, I'm thinking of a next gen console. I'm leaning towards a PS4. I was thinking of an Xbone because of its all round media centre capabilities but thinking ahead to Christmas I was thinking of getting the girls a Vita each. Streaming from the PS4 sounds cool.

But my question is - has anyone here actually got both and has tried the streaming feature? What's it like and is it as good or as useful as I think it is?

Depending how old your daughters are, there may not be many games that interest them on PS4/Vita (or xbone), even by next Christmas. The main reason there wasn't a PS4 under our tree this year is because there are no exclusives that are suitable for younger kids.... maybe Knack, but my kids showed no interest in it.

Vita isn't much better for kid-friendly exclusives. There are Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper games with PS3/Vita cross-buys... a few kid-friendly PSN platformer & puzzle games... and that's about it. There are more kid friendly PSP games than Vita exclusives but the combined Vita/PSP kids library is insignificant compared to the massive number of kid/teen games on 3DS or mobile platforms.

Saving up $800 to buy a PS4 and a pair of Vitas (or a $500 xbone) is great tech for hardcore gaming but probably won't offer many games that your kids will want to play.

By the use of "suitable" it represents my opinion. We are very strict about what we let our kids play and tend to err on the conservative side. There are still some teen rated games I won't let my oldest play.

I would probably agree with boog'c comments as things stand now. There probably are not going to be that may games suitable for younger kids for the Xbox One either next Christmas. The next year is going to cater to hardcore gaming for both. Of course, things may change. Once consoles mature a bit, either one or both may get more kid friendly games right now.

Again though, it depends on their age and interest. If they are in or are close to their teens, what may be "suitable" expands. I think at the moment, you might find more kid friendly options on the current gen platforms (PS3, 360). You don't mention the Wii or WiiU. I know the Wii U hasn't had the best year in the world, but Wii games can be played on a Wii U. Big library out there. If the have no interest in Nintendo's franchises, I can see how that might not appeal.

That said, the planning ahead part is a good idea. Sadly, we don't do that often enough. I'd say save up. If neither platform has enough suitable games next Christmas, you can always spend some of what you saved on a big ticket item for each with something else and wait some more. Once there is enough that is suitable, you will still have a decent amount in the "video game chest" to invest instead of charging.

I hadn't considered the Wii U primarily because the Wii we have just doesn't get much use. The youngest one (11) will ask to have it on once in a while when she wants to play one of her horsey games. She's owned a DS of one kind or another since she was 3 and likes Mario games. She is more of a casual gamer and did ask for an iPod Touch but they've gone up in price since the last time I looked at them.

The oldest one prefers more mature games like GTA and CoD.

Another reason I'm edging towards a PS4 is that we have 3 Xbox 360s and they work great as media machines. Our main one is getting a lot of use at the minute with Netflix.

Or maybe I should build them a PC each ... They both like Sims. Aaaargh!

I hadn't considered the Wii U primarily because the Wii we have just doesn't get much use. The youngest one (11) will ask to have it on once in a while when she wants to play one of her horsey games. She's owned a DS of one kind or another since she was 3 and likes Mario games. She is more of a casual gamer and did ask for an iPod Touch but they've gone up in price since the last time I looked at them.

The oldest one prefers more mature games like GTA and CoD.

Another reason I'm edging towards a PS4 is that we have 3 Xbox 360s and they work great as media machines. Our main one is getting a lot of use at the minute with Netflix.

Or maybe I should build them a PC each ... They both like Sims. Aaaargh!

Build a couple of gaming rigs and go with Steam!

Maybe see if you can pick up a PS3 on the cheap then. Tons of cheap games now.

With regard to the streaming feature...

I have both the PS4 and the Vita. Over the wifi at home the streaming works really well. You can play any game you've downloaded or the game that is physically in the ps4. Streaming over the internet all comes down to your connection/speed.

Also, some of the buttons are mapped to the back of the Vita (the touch pad on the back) since the PS4 controller has more buttons than the Vita. For most games this if fine but for some it hampers gameplay.

All in all it's a cool feature though. I use it a lot.