IGNORED

Atari's internal VAXmail...

Markimus of K.

Hi guys & gals,

I've been reading some of Ataris' coin-op VAXmail archived at

http://www.textfiles.com/games/ATARIMAIL/

AA member Davidius (the very legendary Asteroids and Gravitar expert) sent me the link. I did a forum search and it isn't new to AA, the last reference I found was in November of '02.

I'm posting it here for the people that never knew about it (like myself!), this stuff is too good to be missed!

as always, Markimus of K.

Yeah I found Jed's original site a few years ago.  I posted some of the juicier tidbits awhile back.

Tempest

Yours was the mail about people inside the company bootlegging and giving out copies of their prototypes right? Wow, was that dude pissy. Just think how he'd feel about the kind of warez that go on today on the world wide web! :lol:

I think they were even more "pissy" because the games that were being pirated weren't even released yet. Pirating was still in its infancy back then, it wasn't as wide spread (and acceptable) as it is now (although it did happen more often than you'd think).

Tempest

Pirating was still in its infancy back then, it wasn't as wide spread (and acceptable) as it is now (although it did happen more often than you'd think).

Tempest

You mean does, right ? :P

The XBOX version of Dead To Rights was ripped and released 2 days before it hit the store shelves. :x Those god damn magazine reviewers. :mad:

The XBOX version of Dead To Rights was ripped and released 2 days before it hit the store shelves.  :x Those god damn magazine reviewers.  :mad:

I like what a lot of record labels do these days with the promo CD's they send me - they record extra messages onto the songs or occasionally mix in odd noises and voices. That way if it was ripped, they'd know who and how, and your average free music downloader wants a "pure copy" anyway as opposed to one with extra shit. To me it's funnier to have the review copies though when you hear someone imitating a hillbilly saying, "If ya bootleg this I'm gonna find ya and string ya up, ya varmint!" :lolblue: Maybe review games need to be "enhanced" this way too before they're sent out to the press.

Maybe review games need to be "enhanced" this way too before they're sent out to the press.

AFAIK there were a few games like that. There was a prototype for Ninja Gaiden (or maybe it was NG II) for the NES that had a black box covering the last boss that said "Preview Copy" or something like that. I know there also was a prototype of Castlevania Bloodlines that required a special code to play.

Tempest

I like what a lot of record labels do these days with the promo CD's they send me - they record extra messages onto the songs or occasionally mix in odd noises and voices.  That way if it was ripped, they'd know who and how, and your average free music downloader wants a "pure copy" anyway as opposed to one with extra shit.

I read somewhere that Capcom did something like this when they sent out review copies of Resident Evil 2 for PlayStation. They embedded some secret code data somewhere on the disc, which was different for each magazine they sent the discs to. When pirated copies of the game appeared, they were able to use this code to trace the origin back to GameFan magazine. Capcom then slapped GameFan with a lawsuit, which led to many financial problems and the eventual demise of the magazine.

I like what a lot of record labels do these days with the promo CD's they send me - they record extra messages onto the songs or occasionally mix in odd noises and voices.  That way if it was ripped, they'd know who and how, and your average free music downloader wants a "pure copy" anyway as opposed to one with extra shit.

I read somewhere that Capcom did something like this when they sent out review copies of Resident Evil 2 for PlayStation. They embedded some secret code data somewhere on the disc, which was different for each magazine they sent the discs to. When pirated copies of the game appeared, they were able to use this code to trace the origin back to GameFan magazine. Capcom then slapped GameFan with a lawsuit, which led to many financial problems and the eventual demise of the magazine.

Well, that among other things. Game Fan was the magazine that let someone's ranting about "jap bastards" pass for a football review.

Their words, not mine.