IGNORED

Do you think feedback works?

Lost Monkey

I don't leave many negatives... but I always do it right before the 90 days are up to try and avoid retaliatory negatives...

Yesterday, I left a few (I have about 30 I am just waiting on) and one of the deadbeats immediately left a retaliatory negative on my account... It's gotten to the point where I honestly feel that eBay has left the honest people hanging, because I know that every single time I leave someone a well deserved negative, there is a good chance I will get one in return. Because I have so much feedback, no-one is going to wade through it to see who left it, they will only know that it is there...

I have only 3 negatives and >3200 positives, and all 3 have been left when I had no fault in the matter.

I think it was easier to avoid this when I was selling casually... only because the chances of coming across someone who would retaliate is so much greater when the volume of transactions is higher.

I'm just a little pissed off right now.. :x

There is another side to this as well... people who psychotically demand that feedback be left immediatley.

Look at this guy's feedback:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...=imelrichardk49

He bids and pays right away... but then if you haven't left him feedback in the amount of time he thinks is right.. he leaves a negative... He has 5 negatives in the past month and 4 of them are because of his assinine feedback demands... I was tempted to just leave him a negative when I saw his first demand. :twisted:

Well, if someone could leave a negative just because they didn't get a feedback, there would be alot more negs in the world. But all this aside, although feedback is good to get, it's not mandatory. I have been "shortchanged" if you will, by about 10 or so feedbacks. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. I still think that you have nothing to really worry about. People will see the neg to pos ratio and take that into effect. Also, if they do read the negative, and see if it was a retalitory one, they will take it as that. As long as you don't get any "real bad" (don't know what else to call it) or numerous negs, I wouldn't sweat it. Some people just like to leave negs because that's all they know how to do. Or you can do what I did, make a "about me" page and explain each neg on your feedback. Feel free to check mine if you want.

I gave some guy a neutral because he was so clumsy that he managed to postpone shipping the item for one week.

I felt he deserves a neutral. At least I got what I wanted.

I dunno what he will say though. Hmm. He has a few other neutrals as well.

I recommend you don't bid on his items. His name is auctiosecrets2001 or something.

I recently ran into this problem I got an atari and 9 games, controllers and the power supply for 15 dollars. When this arrived , supposed to be working it did not, I was teed off. All the stuff but the atari worked, and he did not include one of the things, the RF adapter. So, I emailed him and he said it is working and that he included the adapter. Then I said he did not and wanted a refund. He told me ok but I had to ship it back as my loss, I said no way!!. I made a few offers to him and he did not respond, at this time I left NEG feedback, and of course he left it to me. So now I am really teed off and sent out fraud reports to ebay, and then sent him another email saying my personall lawyer is going to get intouch with him, and ebay too. In 5 min I had a phone call, and a 10 dollar refund with the RF adapter in the mail. I ended up paying 5 dollars for the stuff, and got everything. I am still trying to get the negative feedback removed. They need to change that stuff!!!

So now I am really teed off and sent out fraud reports to ebay, and then sent him another email saying my personall lawyer is going to get intouch with him, and ebay too.

He believed you were going to dispatch a lawyer on him over a 15 dollar Atari?

I've got much less feedback than you, Lost Monkey, but my only negative is a retaliatory one too. At the least, your positives overwhelm the complaints by a large margin.

As a buyer, I have pretty high standards. So if the transaction does not meet my full expectations (postponed shipping, wrong shipping method, improperly packed, crappy condition not as described) I generally do not leave ANY feedback. I will only leave a positive or nothing at all, it's not worth it to risk a retalitory.

As (mostly) a seller, I will leave feedback upon email notice that the item was received and/or you are happy with your purchase. What that means is that if you are happy, leave a feedback and you'll get one back usually the same day. This has been debated many times before, but this is the way I do it and it works for me. I have given more feedback than I have received, so this proves that I will leave it for anyone else who does too. I've only left a few negs for non-paying idiots, and I have ZERO negs or neutrals and 556 positives. Since I have so many feedbacks anyway, I really don't mind if I do or don't get one from a particular transaction. :D 8)

Although I have only sold 2 items on EBay, I made it a point to ship the items out as fast as I could after recieving payment. Also, I recycle boxes and packing material that I find at work, so I always make it a point to pack the item so that it's well-cushioned. This saves money as insurance wouldn't be needed if the item was well protected from the elements.

When I got the double ender yesterday, I noticed that the guy used strips of torn paper bag and a plastic baggie to hold the double ender. Talk about cheap. All he had to do was look around and see if he had any foam or bubble wrap. I keep plenty of both around my apt.

I hope he doesn't retaliate. It wasn't even negative feedback..it was a neutral. So, I don't see why he would complain.

I think neutral feedback for that is a little overboard, as long as it was not damaged. He was probably trying to save money by not having to buy pakaging materials. The one neutral I have left is when my atari console holders top broke in shipping, so I just game the guy a neutral for not packaging well. Also if you have something break contact the seller before you leave feedback, I didnt do that with the broken lid and I think if I would have they would of given me some money back:)

On the very rare occasion that someone has pissed me off enough to warrant a negative, I wait until 89 days, 23 hours and 45 minutes have passed. So far it's worked all 3 times. There's another coming up who just shipped my item today even though the auction and payment were cleared over a month ago, so I guess that'll make 4.

On the very rare occasion that someone has pissed me off enough to warrant a negative, I wait until 89 days, 23 hours and 45 minutes have passed.  So far it's worked all 3 times.  

So is it 100% IMPOSSIBLE to leave a feedback after that time? Does the auction number come up invalid after that time period? I'm not sure I understand the mechanics of this, but have a few of those I wouldn't mind leaving! :twisted:

On the very rare occasion that someone has pissed me off enough to warrant a negative, I wait until 89 days, 23 hours and 45 minutes have passed.  So far it's worked all 3 times.  

So is it 100% IMPOSSIBLE to leave a feedback after that time? Does the auction number come up invalid after that time period? I'm not sure I understand the mechanics of this, but have a few of those I wouldn't mind leaving! :twisted:

AFAIK the deadline is exactly 90 days from the close of the auction to leave any feedback. As long as you have a great memory, this is the best way to leave feeback with a minimal chance of retalatory feedback.

I think neutral feedback for that is a little overboard, as long as it was not damaged.  He was probably trying to save money by not having to buy pakaging materials.

Agreed. I will often state in my auctions that I will ship for whatever the price of Priority Mail is, plus a quarter for inside packing materials. A lot of time, people complain that I could use Parcel Post instead. I give them the option of having me go purchase an envelope for a dollar, put no special packaging material in the package and then send it for about $2.00. Most people think that they shouldn't have to pay for the envelope, but when you are dealing with a $3.00 game, buying an envelope to stick it in is a huge cost.

If you've bought something from the GOAT Store, LLC lately, you might have found it packaged with a ton of MWC 2002 flyers...

I think neutral feedback for that is a little overboard, as long as it was not damaged.  He was probably trying to save money by not having to buy pakaging materials.

Agreed. I will often state in my auctions that I will ship for whatever the price of Priority Mail is, plus a quarter for inside packing materials. A lot of time, people complain that I could use Parcel Post instead. I give them the option of having me go purchase an envelope for a dollar, put no special packaging material in the package and then send it for about $2.00. Most people think that they shouldn't have to pay for the envelope, but when you are dealing with a $3.00 game, buying an envelope to stick it in is a huge cost.

If you've bought something from the GOAT Store, LLC lately, you might have found it packaged with a ton of MWC 2002 flyers...

The Neutral is for the slow shipping time.

He took almost 3 weeks to ship the item. I had payment for it to him within 4 days. You do the math.

There is another side to this as well... people who psychotically demand that feedback be left immediatley.  

Same problem with this seller, who tries to force positive feedback from buyers - read all his neg feedback and you will see a theme. Also he always leaves retalitory neg feedback too:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?...=zathras_eleven

He took almost 3 weeks to ship the item. I had payment for it to him within 4 days. You do the math.

That's only 17 days :?

What I meant is he recieved payment 4 days after I won the auction(money order payment).

He took so long to ship the item because he claims the package was returned. Either he did not get my address right(and I gave him all the right information) or he was too lazy to mail it out.

17 days in my opinion is TOO LONG to wait. I tend to get suspicious if it goes past 10 days.

I leave negetive when I feel it's appropriate. I don't care about retalitory feedback. To me, it's only Ebay, not my life. I have left over 1100 feedbacks and I think I have around 600 or so - been shortchanged there quite a bit but I don't really care. I suppose if I sold tons of stuff, negetive feedback would matter more to me but as it stands, if I get screwed in any way, I neg the idiot.