IGNORED

Lynx HSC 2014 Round 1 Double Dragon

roadrunner

You can clearly see it's not a perfect playthrough because he had lost lives. ;)

The scoring system isn't that basic.

Punching an enemy gives 50 points. Kicking gives 100. Headbutting gives 200. Hitting with a weapon also gives 200.

I reached my 65 000 without a single kick or headbutt, I always punched because I hadn't taken notice of how many points each move gives, and punching is much easier. I did use baseball bat or whip whenever I could though.

Basically you should try headbutting your way through the game to get as high as possible I guess. But the downside is it is slow, and a bitch to pull off because you have to hold the d-pad down for it which will likely move you away from the enemy. It is pointless if you lose lots of energy that way though. So you must find a good balance or really become perfect in executing moves.

But 65 000 can be reached just by punching and using weapons, and so can 66 250 (just means getting hit fewer times or be quicker).

Thanks for the explanation. I've gotten the same score three times, and it seemed like the scoring mechanic was really basic. But now that you mention it, I do use the punch almost exclusively. Seems to work better than the kick. And, it's probably a habit carried over from playing the NES version, where you upgrade your moves faster by punching than by kicking.

Edited by PFG 9000

Indeed, the punch does work better. It seems to be a bit quicker and safer to hit. I used it on my first playthrough with under 60 000 points, then I tried the other variations.

And I found out another thing:

While using a weapon gives the same amount of points as the headbutt, it does inflict more damage. So if you feel like you can handle it it is better to use the headbutt, since you have to hit the enemies more often (=more points). Sadly the headbutt is hard to use and often misses.

I am just starting to feel silly for explaining now. I do want to win this competition after all. :D

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 1

I thought I'd add another 17 000 points to be on the safe side... 92 100 now. :)

post-21561-0-84158700-1389738035_thumb.jpg

Ironic that I am playing the game so much now after being one to criticize it on several occasions.^^ It's cool because it takes only 20 minutes, so I can attempt a new record whenever there's a bit of free time. :)

Edited by 108 Stars

Interesting game.

A little disappointed at the shortened levels. Enemy AI is also pretty low. Maybe that's because we're on easy. Dislike the cheap deaths falling at the bottom of the screen when you can barely see it's coming. I like to explore around without being punished. Not sure why the knife doesn't get thrown. Also find it odd that the punch reaches farther than the kick. Elbow seems to be the most useful attack, just like the arcade.

Is anyone else finding the audio a bit scratchy? At least on Handy it sounds that way.

Still happy to be playing an arcade classic game on Lynx. This system deserved so much more love.

post-31666-0-26685000-1390117206.png

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 1

Dislike the cheap deaths falling at the bottom of the screen when you can barely see it's coming. I like to explore around without being punished.

Yeah, that's a reason why I always complain about the zoomed in look. I understand that they wanted the sprites to look 1:1 like in the arcade, but for gameplay they should have shrunken everything for better overview... or at least not scroll down so damn late.

Is anyone else finding the audio a bit scratchy? At least on Handy it sounds that way.

It's a handy issue. Handy is fine, but the sound is its weakness. At least for me it is very often scratchy, but not on real hardware.

Hehe, cool thing.

I love that about video games. Some developers run out of time or memory, and they make up this simple fight as a work around so they don't need to do another ending. They probably didn't give it much thought either, it was a mid-eighties arcade game, the story wasn't important anyway.

Fast forward to today; the medium has grown into something to rival cinema. Now people look at these games and actually give it some thought. And what was originally designed just to make do with the constraints turns out to be ingenious on a deeper level.^^

No idea if the Lynx version is the same in that regard, would be worth checking out. :)

DDLynx_zps109a98eb.jpg

And a screenshot of the NES version, emulated on a DSbrick:

DDNES_zpsb887d5ab.jpg

I bought a new house this month, so I sadly haven't had much time for gaming (or much money for buying new games, for that matter). But the plus side is that I'll soon be able to dig my collection out of the closet to proudly display it in a dedicated gaming room.

Big kudos to all who played this month. There have been some truly great scores posted here. And also a big thankyou to 108 Stars for posting his scoring strategy. I think that's the best part about this HSC: the opportunity to share strategies among some friendly competition.

Edited by PFG 9000
  • Like 1

Well, I beat 108stars to this one. The 2 player mode lets you walk off each others screen, but within the confines of your current "area" (the one where you get the white thumb pointing to continue). I just finished the game with my 9-year old daughter Lieke who is also an avid Lynx gamer. We beat the 2-player mode game on the first try and ...

It has the same dark ending as discussed before. There is no text explaining what to do. I'm not sure what I would have thought when I hadn't known about it. My daughter kicked my *ss and got the reward in the same kiss as in the one player mode. Just so you know.

• Like 3