IGNORED

Happy Winter!

Beyond tired of the road conditions around here lately. Doesn't help I drive 1-1/2 hours to work each day. Have already spun out on the highway once last year and don't want to repeat that scenario. Rear end of my truck slammed into the guard rail was all and "luckily", that was the extent of the damage. Here's a pic of the bullshit I have to deal with today. Nice driveway, huh? :mad:

post-13896-0-85602400-1389454602_thumb.jpg

...several car pile ups on the highways last night and even the radio announcers were commenting how people were NOT slowing down, despite ice raining down from the sky. <sigh>

Edited by save2600

Just returned from WI leaving on New Year's say. Just a bit of fresh snow on the ground and 8 degrees as we left, but it was slow going at the onset of the journey. It's scary how when you live in such elements, some get a bit too confident in their abilities.

I earned to drive in WI. Back in those days, if you took driver's ed in the winter, you'd go out on a lake and learn to drive on the ice, failing that an iced over area of the school parking lot. Wonder if they still do that.

Now down in TX, a damp or wet road is often as bad as black ice on a road up north w.r.t. traffic. I swear, someone spills a Big Gulp on the highway and you can count on miles of traffic jams.

I took driver's ed in Minnesota (in the cold part of the state, not the balmy Minneapolis / St. Paul area) around 1989 or 1990 during the summertime. If they were taking cars out onto frozen lakes as part of winter driver's ed training, I would have heard about it from my friends. Either teachers were no longer doing that by 1990-ish or they just weren't doing it in my neck of the woods.

That said, it sounds like pretty good idea for teaching. My parents live by a lake and people still drive (typically older parents, not the kids) on the frozen lake to get to the ice fishing village (as my parents refer to it).

Well its a pleasant 25 degC today and a bit overcast (77 F).

However for the next five days...

Mon 35 C (95)

Tues 41 C (106 F)

Wed 39C (102 F)

Thurs 38 C (100 F)

Fri 39 C (102 F)

getting a bit warm and we're roughly as far south as Washington DC is north. Adelaide, however will cop two consecutive 43 C days (109 F) this week. yeech!

Edited by stc2009
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well we've a hottish 35 degC today (which is a public holiday) but start hitting the high 30s tomorrow and then again at end of the week.. Machine break-downs here we come. Hopefully won't be like the last heat blast which was forecast high thirties but actually went into the forties for three days with a top at 45 degC (113F). - yech! I end up working 12-14 hour days getting everything running again.

• Like 1

Well we've a hottish 35 degC today (which is a public holiday) but start hitting the high 30s tomorrow and then again at end of the week.. Machine break-downs here we come. Hopefully won't be like the last heat blast which was forecast high thirties but actually went into the forties for three days with a top at 45 degC (113F). - yech! I end up working 12-14 hour days getting everything running again.

Know what you mean stc as I have worked with a/c's for years (not currently) but selling them, not fixing them. Think of all the extra money you will have to spend on a Spiker!