IGNORED

Sega Saturn battery modification

after reading this thread from 2006 i went out and bought this Lithium CRV3 battery, as it should give me 10 years of life. the question is, how do i connect this thing to the saturn? should i solder two wires directly from the battery to the contacts in the saturn??

edit: this guy uses AAs, but that won't last 10 years.

Edited by bomberpunk

i had to modify the AA battery holder (removed the bottom contacts and ripped out the middle piece of plastic), now i just need to unhook the Saturn from my tv, remove the 2032 cell, and solder the two wires.

edit: i just found this page, so... i guess i need to open up the system rather than solder onto the button cell battery terminals as i originally planned.

Edited by bomberpunk

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now i can't find where the +/- solder points are on the friggin board. nice.

this picture is bullshit:

batpic2.jpg

after figuring out where this is on the board, i have a rectangular microchip sitting in the spot where these two blue & white wires connect to....unless those are the solder points of where the button cell holder is located... too blurry for me to tell...

Edited by bomberpunk

triple post!! ... using an LED to test, i know what the hell i'm doing now, and that photo above is right.

update: new wires are connected, and tested working... now i just have to remember how to reassemble the Saturn!

Edited by bomberpunk

Not to rain on anybody's parade but wouldn't it be better to find a way to put in some sort of SD Card reader and save your games on an SD Card instead of relying on either the battery saves or the memory cart? Or is that not possible?

• 1 month later...

update: maybe the battery exploded or something but after less than two months i lost all my save data. ii also found that my A/V connection is loose. hopefully it's a damaged cable and not the output on the console.

Edited by bomberpunk