IGNORED

ABBUC Software Contest 2013 reviewed (ish)

Mclaneinc

No dissrespect to this guy but for me this is an example of how to NOT review games...IIRC most if not all games came with text or pdf manuals..

Call me old fashioned but when I reviewed I DID read the manual :) I see the guy is a member on here so a smack on the wrist for not knowing who Jason Statham is and Not using Emulation to review the ones that didn't work on your NTSC machine :)

Some devs of these games might find it a bit annoying :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

I agree with Bryan.

I never realized by the way how much issues this NTSC/PAL thing could cause. That issue in Battle Eagle (where shooting affects the speed) is not happening on my PAL 800XL.

Although I understand what topicstarter means, I must say I recognize the same feeling about games that didn't even start on the real thing. I simply do not use emulators. I get the ABBUC floppy, fire-up my 800XL, and The Hunt did not start. Sorry, that means no points for The Hunt in my opinion. But this discussion is already old, so I do not want to start that over again.

When I hit the movie, I saw 30 minutes on the timer, and I thought: NO WAY that I'll watch 30 minutes of this, and I completed the complete video.

So someway it was rather cool 'television' he made there.

I was surprised by one thing: man he really s*cks in playing computer games ;)

haha, "s*cks playing"...

I think if you got the camera in front of the monitor, talk about the game and next to play this is usual...

also with 30min the video is long, so short plays of each game are fine, otherwise we got hours of game movies, hehe...

but nevertheless... I think it is with all things happen, also around our most loved atari...

some people like it, others not. what I like really is, nobody talks here bad about it, all is with a form of respect, that's cool.

cos my oppinion is: if I personally like it or not, but as long someone doing something for our system it is worth watching, listening, playing etc. not everyone can code and this is also not necessary. for me it is cool thing like this video (sure, I knew all the games) but there are more than enough non abbuc users out there or not into this forum and maybe this way some new recognize there is still a great and huge homebrew scene around.

for me it was the same... NNNNOOOOOO 30min... I do not have this time...

but it was light a flight on lightning speed...

maybe as we love out atari, hehe!

just remember:

atari was my first love and it will be my last...

cheers buddies

markus

I never realized by the way how much issues this NTSC/PAL thing could cause. That issue in Battle Eagle (where shooting affects the speed) is not happening on my PAL 800XL.

Yeah, i tend to say "PAL only" for my stuff for that reason. i'm hammering things to make the sprite engine work and, because i'm paranoid, there's a "safety net" to stops it from flickering for a frame if the runtime code overruns; when the code is at max load it takes slightly more than one frame to complete a refresh on NTSC.

I don't see these as reviews, just trying out all the new software, and giving some thoughts. For a real review, sure -- I'd read the manual. In real life, people don't read manuals.

As for my ignorance of Jason Statham — I can't apologize for that, he's not well known in the U.S.

@ProWizard

I know, Ihave recognize... just when I read I had to laugh and got a smile, you know...

so no worries :-D

@Savetz

no worries, no excuses... all is fine as someone is doing something for our big love here ;)

but you should check ou the movies with jason statham, really cool.

I like to see him in the movies, great action movie hero :P

@Maclaneinc

well, what should we say... we are ALL old faishoned, this is our way of life.

for this we are here :thumbsup:

living in 8bit!

cheers

markus

I must be an oodity then as I always have a look at the manual especially when I'm sure I should be able to do something but its not working.

At least you bothered to have a go, also may I pass on my condolenses re your father.

Just listened to the podcast re the POS atari cart, very interesting....Good show but a rather abrupt goodbye to the programmer. :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Yeah, i tend to say "PAL only" for my stuff for that reason. i'm hammering things to make the sprite engine work and, because i'm paranoid, there's a "safety net" to stops it from flickering for a frame if the runtime code overruns; when the code is at max load it takes slightly more than one frame to complete a refresh on NTSC.

I really regret that I did not give your battle eagle some more points than the 6 I gave in voting. I keep playing this game, and it really is a keeper. I love it!

I already told Abbuc that they'd better have a long-term award for games. Ocean Detox is one of the titles I play very often. Lots of games lose their attraction after a while. But I'm still happy playing Battle Eagle, so I feel a little bit stupid that I did not give it more points.

Please keep writing games like Callisto and Battle Eagle for Atari 8bit. It's great!