IGNORED

The most thrashed classic computer you've seen... (PICS)

I've had several machines damaged in shipping. A few broken keys and broken corners on cases.
But it's nothing compared to the Apple IIgs someone just posted pics of in the Apple II Enthusiasts group on facebook.

I'm not sure if you have to be a member to see it but...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3885613714901&set=p.3885613714901&type=1&theater

• Like 1

I've had several machines damaged in shipping. A few broken keys and broken corners on cases.

But it's nothing compared to the Apple IIgs someone just posted pics of in the Apple II Enthusiasts group on facebook.

I'm not sure if you have to be a member to see it but...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3885613714901&set=p.3885613714901&type=1&theater

Will this help?

:grin:

bandaid.jpg

• Like 1

I bought Three Apple ][e from an e-bay Buy-It-Now for $50.00 each, for a total of $150.00.. I had the foresight to ask for Insurance, and one was Damaged in shipping. The seller submitted a Claim, and I received a check for $50.00 in the mail...

The ][e still seems to operate...

• Like 1

I'm wondering if some model airplane glue could cement the pieces back together, then a little 'bondo', sanding, primer and paint.

Good that it still works. At the very least you have backup parts in case of a failure.

Actually, I removed the Case, took a few photos and threw away the Case.. Now I use that ][e as a Smoke Test System..

I believe computers damaged through shipping should be counted separately from computers beat up by heavy use and/or modding. It only takes inferior packaging and/or unusually rough package handling to damage most plastics very badly, and a thread like this could easily be filled up with horror examples of such. I've both sent (large PET computers) and received (large TRS-80 computers) packages with content not padded enough which lead to more or less wrecked results.

I believe computers damaged through shipping should be counted separately from computers beat up by heavy use and/or modding. It only takes inferior packaging and/or unusually rough package handling to damage most plastics very badly, and a thread like this could easily be filled up with horror examples of such. I've both sent (large PET computers) and received (large TRS-80 computers) packages with content not padded enough which lead to more or less wrecked results.

A very good point.... How about Computers damaged by Neglect???

Photos are hard cause I don't leave them that way. I got an old Tandy once at a School sale. It had a pencil broken off in the disk drive and the keyboard had an old pcb substrate which was cracked in half.

The worst Atari I personally have seen was an 800XL I bought on ebay as a for parts machine. It arrived looking worse than the pics. It was so filthy it looked like it had been buried in a landfill. I took it apart and sprayed the shell down with 409 three times, scrubbed it with soap and water and soaked it in the tub. Then I discovered the RAM was shot, so I de-soldered, socketed and replaced the RAM. The space bar was also busted and missing so I made one from a popsicle stick. After I put all that effort in it, I couldn't use it for a parts machine. I use it to play games sometimes.

Edited by SIO2

Oh man, I wish I could. It's buried in the barn right now and with all this snow, it would be impossible to reach.

I've got some Apple II systems that I left outdoors. My brother satisfied his lust for target practice by shooting at them with his bang bang penis replacement... if they were any good before, they certainly aren't now. The Apple IIe is missing three keys and the disk drives are shot to hell (literally); the Franklin 1000 is in better shape but probably not functional. In my defense, I didn't have any interest in Apple computers at the time and the machines were purchased for, like, a few dollars each. How was I to know they'd be valuable later? (Well duh, Jess, EVERYTHING is more valuable later.)

It reminds me of a web page I saw some time in the late 1990's but then seems to have disappeared. It was about someone who did an experiment with target shooting at various computer hardware to see which one would hold up best. First he shot a Yamaha CD-RW unit (IIRC) to pieces, it didn't take much. Then he went onto a X Terminal that took some damage, but handled the birdshot rather well. Finally he aimed at a Sun 3, on which the ammo almost bounced off, barely made a dent in the case. He moved on to buckshot and placed a bullet into the motherboard. The computer still was possible to power on and it would boot up, to the point it still qualified for Sun's trade-in program at the time, although they probably would have asked questions if he traded in a computer with bullets on the motherboard.

I have tried to find that page, or pictures from it over the years but never had any success, not even on Archive.org.

• Like 2

I hope he cleaned up all the mess afterwards. If the shooting partly was for target practise, it makes me wonder what kind of wildlife he usually hunts. In particular the smaller items placed on the ground makes me think he is hunting moles, perhaps swamp rats and alike but it would be quite messy to kill moles with 12 gauge shots.

I also wonder if putting a bullet through a hard disk is considered a non-retrievable way of destructing it, or if technically part of the data still would be possible for someone to recover.

But yes, that is obviously intentional damage and anyone with access to a weapon could do that to the least favorite items in their collections. Personally I don't have anything in my collection right now that I like so badly that I wish I could shoot it. Well, maybe some old 14" CRT VGA that I'm about to recycle anyway but I'm too much of an orderly person to put things in the mess it would be to put a bullet through the CRT.

It's not really a trashed trashed computer, but it is the most disgusting keyboard I've ever had the pleasure of cleaning. After about 40 minutes with vinegar, soap, rubbing alcohol, a toothbrush and q-tips, it was restored to not-vomit worthy condition.post-27351-138950886593_thumb.jpgpost-27351-138950888037_thumb.jpg