IGNORED

Atari 7800 real stereo surround mod

retromod

What are you doing in order to justify calling a stereo output mod "surround sound"?

Guessing you're either letting people with old matrix surround capable receivers (typically those with Dolby Pro Logic or DPL2) perform the "surround" processing, or you've got a highly complex filtering circuit that's inverting polarity at certain frequencies whose stereo output provides the sum of the mix... which to 'some' listeners, might give the desired effect of a faux surround experience. Hughes did something similar with SRS. Something tells me though that your mod ain't as complex...

This guy already started off on a bad foot bad mouthing yurkies mods for the colecovision and his comments were removed by a mod . No offense to him or his mods but they sound (not good) at all . Here they are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YioxTZqF_xQ . And this is his intellivision video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kc32Gr9AU0

Edited by AtariBrian

Ok if it is about wording and spelling then we reached a very low level. Nevertheless more than 100 devices were sold last year mainly to collectors.

And the blaming did not took place but it seems there is no real free opinion allowed these days in usa.

This guy already started off on a bad foot bad mouthing yurkies mods for the colecovision and his comments were removed by a mod . No offense to him or his mods but they sound (not good) at all . Here they are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YioxTZqF_xQ . And this is his intellivision video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kc32Gr9AU0

ok your interpretation of "opinion" seems only contain positive feedback to something. If I blame someone then I'll do what you are doing! If I have valid criticism then it must be valid in a "free speech" forum to say something about it. Please read the post carefully. I only told that

the whole package is expensive as it does not contain all mods. This is valid input. If this is "blaming" then there is some kind of business relation blocking anything which may disturb this business intension. Pure logic.

thanks for your input about "it sounds not good", but this is fairly some kind of blaming. Please tell me what you do not like, I got several hating e-mails which are really funny anyway as it do not contain any real detail. I hate someone but I can not hate a device or component without telling what I do not like as it has no "personality". Could it be you are only unable to manage the youtube player properly so leading to bad sound output which you interpret as "is not good"? This would be interesting to know. More than hundred customers are satisfied - ok they are collectors and system enthusiasts only two complained about noise in the background which were finally bad settings of their TV sets.

If you attach the modified console additionally to a stereo/surround system then the noise is filtered out anyway and the output is so great that someone wrote he fall of his chair doing so because it was so a great gaming experience.

Edited by retromod

I usually do not chime in on these types of discussions.. BUT...I am going to make an exception in this case.

Mono sound is mono sound.. you cannot extract a stereo sound from a mono signal...only run it through a doubler and split it then put reverb to it for the ILLUSION of stereo ...but NOT true stereo.

Sorry but not possible...I viewed the you tube videos and was not impressed.. all I heard was the same sound on two speakers with reverb..and whats with the black and white... wheres the color??

Guess its a matter of preference.

Edited by NIKON
  • Like 2

I usually do not chime in on these types of discussions.. BUT...I am going to make an exception in this case.

Mono sound is mono sound.. you cannot extract a stereo sound from a mono signal...only run it through a doubler and split it then put reverb to it for the ILLUSION of stereo ...but NOT true stereo.

Sorry but not possible...I viewed the you tube videos and was not impressed.. all I heard was the same sound on two speakers with reverb..and whats with the black and white... wheres the color??

What about DUAL MONOPHONIC sound? Ha! Search on that!

• Like 1

I'm underwhelmed. Show the mod working on a 7800.

About 8 atari 7800 sold with that mod (including av mod). I have about 30 7800 consoles in stock waiting for new version. The rgb mod is a little bit late and will be delivered with it. Stereo surround plus rgb for 50 dollar. Currently fighting with better intellivision mod as available ones are soooo bad in output. Hopefully fixed soon as my pcb manufacturer starts vacation soon.....

Sure it can not be true stereo but it tries to do so. It sounds much better than mono of course. It also rearrange single tones to other channels. As told i ve sold nearly 100 units mainly atari 2600 in all flavours full modded and all customers are happy. They are all strong collectors. So if people are happy then work is done. Next is my rgb mod for all consoles... The circuit is completed i stopped in the middle of routing the pcb board due to contract discussuions with companies.

Regarding the color this is a problem of my video grabber card. The software do not support that with that device. None of my devices get color, only the crippled software delivered with the card is able to do so. But is unable to record videos. Seems the 10 dollar for the card was waste of money...

Edited by retromod

What about DUAL MONOPHONIC sound? Ha! Search on that!

Can this method be used to create quadrophonic sound? That's where it's at.

Do not know because have not looked into it. My knowledge about that is limited. For quadrophonic you need 4 splitted channels and all components must support that. As the source is mono it is quite hard to fullfill that. Market is limited, too.

retromod, it's really an issue with how you appear.

You can't just register here, and as a new member talk down the work of a longtime member with excellent reputation while advertising your own mods as superior. It's just bad behavior. It leaves a bad impression and hurts your own business.

You claim to have sold lots of modded systems... but anyone can say that. Your website is a placeholder. You are a stranger.

When you come to a new place, whether it is in real life or in the internet, you should be a bit humble and polite. When you want to do business, you don't want to start off by criticizing someone elses's world. It is YOU who has to prove yourself. The way you behave you are creating a terrible image for yourself. Anyone in marketing or public relations could tell you that you are doing your best to scare potential customers away like this.

When you're new, and you have a product to offer, just do it. Don't talk about others, present your own product. Let the facts speak for themselves, not some comparison. Yurkie was finishing the modding service anyway I believe, so most likely people would have approached you anyway. And if your mods are any good, or better than others the word would spread.

Now you are heading into a direction where people won't want your services just because they feel you behave like an asshole. And no, that's no cultural difference, people in Germany would react the same in such a situation. It may be due to the language barrier that you don't really get how your words sound. But even if yo had put it more nicely it would still be a low-blow to someone the people here know and appreciate.

Your profile says that you have been developing hard- and software for over 30 years. Which means you can' be very young. It puzzles me how someone of an age where he should have some experience in social interaction can act so clumsy in a new envirement.

Atari Age is THE central hub for the very systems you are offering your services for. It is not a good idea to make a bad impression here. Maybe you should just apologize for a bad start, stop the debating and offer your services.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 11