IGNORED

Virtual Boy Questions

Collectible?! HELL YEAH!

Nintendo's Virtual Boy made its first appearance on Nov.15, 1994 at the Shoshinkai Exhibition in Tokyo, Japan. This is something like a "mini" Tokyo Game Show or E3 "lite" sponsored by Nintendo to wow retailers and media for the year-end push. The system debuted in Japanese stores several months later before finally getting released in the USA on August 14, 1995.

The system is packed with 32-bit processing power and true 3D effects, and runs on either batteries or AC power. At 14 inches in height, 10 inches in width, and 7 inches in depth, it's small enough to call a portable system but too big to be considered a handheld. Other than it's unusual appearance (though YOU look more unusual playing on it than it does on its own, take my word for it), the console is well known for its monochrome red graphics. With only 14 games released in the USA and 19 in Japan, the system is considered a "flop" to many, but if you're a collector this hardly matters, and in this humble collector's opinion, the Virtual Boy is as much a fun system to play as it is an interesting conversation piece. Let's take a look at the library of games and the relative difficulty of tracking each one down. I've consulted with the people at Digital Press to provide some scarcity benchmarks.

The complete rarity list is here. Note: there is still some debate over the accurate title of Innsmouse... I'll bet Russ Perry Jr. shows up in this thread to elaborate. :P

http://www.digitpress.com/lists/virtualboy.pdf

Awesome! I had no idea a rarity guide existed for the Virtual Boy. I was working on a rarity guide to post at VintageGamer.net, but almost everything on my list a was a "logical guestimate" based on my own findings and some input from the few collectors I have run accross. Therefore, I have yet to upload it.

Stangely enough, a quick comparisson of your list to mine is actually quite similar. (within 1 number in many cases) The only major difference I can see is virtual bowling... I had it at a 6. Of course, I am working off of very limited amounts of information.

Also, reguarding the F-Zero sequel, G-Zero.... I was told that a prototype or two does exist and the game was completed. I have no reason to doubt the source, but neither of us has ever seen the proto. That said, perhaps G-Zero belongs in Prototypes, rather than Rumor Mill?

I bought that system for $30 and the game Wario Land at a store I think back in '96. The graphics was great, but my eyes hurt when I removed the system away from my eyes. I had to go return the system and games the next day and exchange them for Wario Land for GB and Battle Arena Toshinden for GB.

Good system, but not for me.

The Virtual Boy is fun, but I think it will continue to be more of an oddity than a serious collectable system. I think the collectability of a system is based on the popularity of it, and systems that were not very popular tend to not be very popular for collecting purposes.

Personally, I think the Virtual Boy is pretty neat, and I really enjoy playing Mario Tennis on it. I don't own one though, and I can't imagine buying one.

Anyone ever figure out how to attach it to your head? I can't bend down and use that little tripod without some serious back aches.

You can try laying on your back with the lights turned off, and let the VB sit on your head that way. But it may freak out your family/friends/roomate.

and the is somehting else you can, i`ll post a link to what to do in a few, unlesss someone else beats me too it

True... so true. Is it me or do a lot of Vectrex systems tend to break? The only one I have ever seen that works was at CGE. It is just me? What gives? :?

I own two that work, and one is sitting right next to my laptop right now with Sean's multi-cart in it. Proper care and handling is all that's required.

When it came out in 1995 I wanted one. I asked my parents to get me it for Christmas. They said "No!". Then a few months later, Nintendo announced the N64.. uh.. "Ultra 64" and I was glad they didn't get me it. I ended up getting an N64 the next year at Christmas. Luckilly my parents found one lying on a shelf during the big rush.

Anyway, a couple years later at Toys 'B' Mine I saw the remaining VB's on sale for $20 each. I was so tempted to grab one.

I wish I had. You could buy the entire collection very quickly.