IGNORED

Funky Lynx

FutureMan

Hello Everyone! I'm new to the board so please be gentle.

After finding this board a couple of days ago I decided to dig up my old Lynx out of a box. It's a Lynx 2 (the smaller one) and I got it in 1991 I guess. I haven't really played it much in the last 5-7 years, but when I took it out yesterday it still works...with one problem. The games will freeze up and they also act kind of strange. For example, Blue Thunder works up until you take off but the gound never disappears as you go into the sky...it's like the screen isn't refreshing itself properly. And on Gates of Zendocon when you go up or down in the ship you can see like 20 representaitons of the ship that never go away...does that make sense? And some of the games just freeze up all together or won't start up at all, like on Chip's Challenge...the title screen comes up and then that's it. So what do you think the problem is? Could it be something fixable or should I just give up the ghost? I was kind of hoping my Lynx would last forever...I guess it won't though. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

FutureMan

It sounds like you may need to do some spring cleaning with your Lynx! :D You should probably get a can of compressed air and try to blow all of the dust out of the cartridge port. You should also try cleaning the contacts on your game cards. AtariAge has a good guide here that you should go by. If none of that works, then the only other thing I can think of would involve taking your Lynx apart. Try those two things I suggested first and see if that helps.

try cleaning your card port.the cards too.also,did your lynx stay in a humid

place?i've had trouble sometimes after cleaning my cards and trying to use them before they were dry.if your card edge is still damp it will short

out on you.also,be careful of static on your cards,it can be an expensive mistake to make.you don't want to shock/fry your lynx cards.

one other thing to remember here,if your lynx is acting funny on you it is

good to look in your card port for a contact that has dropped below the

other ones(i've had this happen 2 or 3 times since july 1990 when i got my

first lynx).if you have one that looks low,get you a tooth pick and very

gently raise it up through the porthole to the level of the others.don't be

real forceful here.if you screw up one of your port pins,you're screwed

real royally!be gentle.the lynx twos are quirky little things anyway.i liked

my lynx one in the beginning very much.the two took some time getting used to and i like them now too.they're just quirkier and more finicky and

in some ways not as quality made as the ones were.the twos used very

cheap ram chips and some suffer loading problems on games sometimes.

the stereo sound and the backlight shut off are the only real plus of the

twos(imho).i'm not saying they are total junk.just different to use at times for some of us out there.-chris