IGNORED

Best Game for the 7800

Atariman

I was just curious about what you guys had to say on this topic. My 7800 collection is far from being complete and I was just wondering what everybody thought was "the best" game that was produced for this. Kinda looking for a game that actually has an ending for once....

I'm going to politic my way through this: for enjoyment until I finally beat it, Midnight Mutants is the King. But for repeat play even after I mastered it, I go with Ballblazer. KLAX is the game I reach for first these days when I fire the system up, but it has the advantage of being a decade or so newer than the rest.

I'll have to disagree on tower toppler though...I couldn't stand that game. Controls always felt a little loose, and I could never get anywhere in it, nor did I ever want to.

You had to listen to the sounds: there's a funny noise that means that this thing (I don't have the instructions with mine, I don't know what it's called) has been released, and it appears on your level. So once you hear that noise, take a platform up or down. I thought the game was impossibly hard myself until I realized what that warning sound meant. You just have to learn strategies with every tower, too, since towers have some nasty traps with tiles that fall out from underneath you. It's a bit of a brain-buster, that's for sure!

Definitely Midnight Mutants or Commando. Xenophobe is a great game, too. Double Dragon is good, but the 7800 was capable of putting out a better than good port, especially since it's technically more powerful than the NES. It actually looks worse, but it's still a decent version (probably my favorite 7800 game).

Fatal Run is hit or miss. Frankly, it's as long and boring as sin, but it does a good job creating an erie, hopeless feeling.

Granny Vinnie has reviewed almost every game on the Atari 7800 Panoramic Froo Froo site. There are also other review links and scores from several sites on that site.

http://www.bigfishusa.com/7800

Cousin Vinnie

I'm kinda the same on FATAL RUN ... it had the elements of being a good, NES-style game, but just wasn't all that fun. It's pretty repetitive, though Atari at least did include a lot of the elements that were found in Nintendo and Sega games at the time ... passwords, cut scenes, option screens, multiple levels and an animated ending.

Too bad it just wasn't all that fun to play. When I originally got this, I had to order it from the USA and I got it the same time as COMMANDO, ALIEN BRIGADE, SCRAPYARD DOG, MIDNIGHT MUTANTS, BASKETBRAWL, XENOPHOBE and IKARI WARRIORS.

All of these titles proved that the 7800 could play the same types of games as the NES when the Tramiels spent the $$$ on programming and cartridge memory, but FATAL RUN just didn't compare to the others in terms of how it played.

"Joust". It beats the other Atari console versions hands-down.

Joust is excellent, I was just playing that last night for a couple of rounds... Hmmm, best game? How about more like the Top-5 or Top-3...

My 7800 Favs:

Joust

Robotron

Food Fight

Ms Pac Man

Xevious

Curt

robotron is my 7800 fave. i like it better than the real arcade game. and it supports real 2 stick happiness. food fight is a somewhat close second. love food fight too, great version. was 7800 food fight the first console game with instant replay??? did the 7800 actually have a moment in gaming history???

robotron is my 7800 fave. i like it better than the real arcade game. and it supports real 2 stick happiness. food fight is a somewhat close second. love food fight too, great version. was 7800 food fight the first console game with instant replay??? did the 7800 actually have a moment in gaming history???

Sure it did ... how about that thing that the PS2 always seems to get credit for in terms of innovation - BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY! :-)

I only have 13 7800 titles, My faves for sure are MsPac, Mario and donkey kong. I like them more then the NES versions because they are harder, Maybe not as graphically close to the arcade as NES but easily as difficult.