IGNORED

Friendlyware variations/hacks?

I'm trying to track down an old DOS games disk I used to have. It was a collection of games written probably in BASICA (I remember after executing "A:\GAMES" it said something like "BASICA MENU"), and based on what I've been able to find out, it was a lot like the Friendlyware disks. Same menu style and layout, as well as a Texas address (which jibes with Friendlysoft's Arlington, TX address) displayed on the menu screen.

But the games are were a little different.

For one thing, instead of "Ascii-Man," it had what I'm all but certain was some hack or variation of Pac-Gal or Pac-Girl, called "Pac Man." Only in this game you could select the game speed (0-30000 or something), choose the number of ghosts (it always ran really slow with all four card suits ghosts, so we usually only did one or two), and it could save high scores as well. Otherwise I remember it looking exactly like the screenshots of Pac-Gal I've googled.

Apart from that and Frogger (which as far as I could tell was the same as Friendlysoft "Hopper," though I never had a system that could run it at a proper speed...it wouldn't work on my 286, and my 486 was too fast for it), the rest of the games seem to be pulled from the Friendlyware PC Introductory Set. Stuff like Towers of Hanoi, Boggy Marsh, and Battleship (actually called "Battleship," not "Sea Battle" like on the FW disk, though the games are the same). IIRC games like Hangman, Othello, and Wildcatter were also on it, but we only really played Pac-Man. But it only had 12 or 15 programs instead of FW's ~30, and it was only games, no business/finance programs.

In a nutshell, it was really close to Friendlyware, but kind of pulled games from both the "PC Introductory Set" and "PC Arcade" disks. Some of the titles were changed, and Pac-Man was *definitely* different from "Ascii Man" on the PC Arcade disk.

I've been trying to track this down for years, to no avail. The copy I had -and it was a copy, not a commercial disk- came from a local Lutheran school (in Wausau, WI, USA), and I can't believe they would have had the only copy (copies?) on Earth.

Is it possible my disk was some kind of customization or "hack" of Friendlyware?