IGNORED

Hello! and - Need a color monitor for thrift store rescue 520 ST

johnwohl

Hey all. I recently rescued an Atari 520 ST from a local thrift store as it was to be thrown away due to not working properly! This is my first atari computer. I have also owned pong, super pong, a 2600, a 7800, and a jaguar.

I scored the console itself, disk drives a and b, a monochrome monitor, the associated power supplies and cables, and a loose copy of maniac mansion.

All that was needed was a refurbishing of the main power switch, a patch repair to a broken power supply cable, and one disk drive only needed a cleaning, but I haven't managed to get drive b working yet.

I don't know if it is traditional to post pics of your hardware but I would do so if anyone is interested.

Anyhow, I would like to begin enjoying some of the great games for this system, and while there are some for monochrome, I was wondering if anyone might be able to part with a color monitor for my cause.

I would of course pay for shipping, and I am flexible beyond that but of course cheaper is better. It need not be in good cosmetic condition at all, but should work properly.

tl,dr : I need a color monitor for them vidya games.

Beautiful! I've only ever seen one ST in a thrift store and it was almost 20 years ago. Yes, I bought it and used the heck out of it! It was a 1040STfm, SC1224 RGB, mouse and SF314.

I used to see 8-bits in the thrift stores and I'd buy them and put them away until somebody needed one. The last one I saw was a 1200XL that looked like it had been rolled down a hill and hit by a bus. It saddened me to see it like that, so I didn't pick that one up. I should have... :_(

Could you not use an RGB cable to connect the ST to an ordinary CRT television?

I know the original ST doesn't have RF output, but the monitor port on the STfm/STe works just fine with an RGB scart lead. Is the monitor port on the original ST any different?

Our TVs don't have SCART. :)

Even a YUV converter probably needs composite for sync too. So you'd need an M model for that...

And then lots of software is PAL and our TVs don't like that.. I've see 1/2 the screen get shifted down with a PAL signal on my LCD panels...

Beautiful! I've only ever seen one ST in a thrift store and it was almost 20 years ago. Yes, I bought it and used the heck out of it! It was a 1040STfm, SC1224 RGB, mouse and SF314.

I used to see 8-bits in the thrift stores and I'd buy them and put them away until somebody needed one. The last one I saw was a 1200XL that looked like it had been rolled down a hill and hit by a bus. It saddened me to see it like that, so I didn't pick that one up. I should have... :_(

I have also rescued a 1st gen Apple Powerbook, a Commodore 64, and an ancient compaq (iirc) notebook computer that had a trackball on the side of the screen. I thought that was neat.

I'm pretty sure this stuff gets thrown away if it isn't sold relatively quickly. Can't have that!

Nice computer! Keep an eye on ebay for a SC1224..

If that 520 has RF out you can make a composite video cable to use it on a TV for the color games.

I scored this http://www.ebay.com/itm/191037952651 for what I thought was an ok price. I should be able to repair it pretty easily.

• 3 weeks later...

Update! I received the monitor in good condition. Opening it up I immediately saw a broken ground so I went ahead and soldered that back together. I then powered it up and it still had the horizontal bands but after about 5 minutes it gave a really high pitched whine, I heard something kind of sizzle, there was a little smoke and an acrid smell... And no more problem. Huh. Well I can't seem to find what went proof but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the craw either. Current pic of attestation.. I got the little computer desk at another thrift store for 5 bucks. Now she has her own space in my hifi room

post-38202-0-55302400-1392150933_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! Congratulations! You will not be disappointed in the ST!

I used to rescue any computer I saw from the Goodwilll Bargain Barn in Santa Cruz, California (as long as it wasn't a PC). I used to pay $5 for C=64's (the last one I got was only $3) and I NEVER got one that didn't work!

Those were the days (20+ years ago)...

Update! I received the monitor in good condition. Opening it up I immediately saw a broken ground so I went ahead and soldered that back together. I then powered it up and it still had the horizontal bands but after about 5 minutes it gave a really high pitched whine, I heard something kind of sizzle, there was a little smoke and an acrid smell... And no more problem. Huh. Well I can't seem to find what went proof but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the craw either. Current pic of attestation.. I got the little computer desk at another thrift store for 5 bucks. Now she has her own space in my hifi room

That is a great setup. I hope you enjoy it!

Hopefully the burning was some dust or a spider. :) LOL.