IGNORED

Yar's revenge: I don't get it

Marius

Hi!

Is there someone who can explain me what the goal is of yar's revenge. I have seen a lot about this game, and I hear positive sounds about it, so I would love to enjoy this game too, but I don't understand it.

Pointing me in the right direction of a manual would also be appreciated a lot!

P.

Trivia: It's Yars' Revenge, not Yar's Revenge. The little thingy goes after the s, not before it.

Besides reading the manual, this might also help a little:

youtube.com/watch?v=qrF6_SdqczY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrF6_SdqczY

• Like 1

Its great to see someone admit to not knowing how to play this game and asking for and getting help.

I own an eight bitter but rarely go to that forum because almost all of them are experts and I get them annoyed by asking anything . Its like if you don't know don't ask over there.

• Like 1

@bennybingo I LOVE your Avatar. Barnstorming is one of my favorite 2600 games. I also love the artwork on the box and the label (and your avatar).

@jinks It's a great forum with a lot of experts indeed, but some of them are really a pain in the you-know-what. If you need any help or assistance with your atari 8bit, you could always pm me. I love that machine too. Atari from the 70's and 80's are so cool.

I never had so much fun with my 2600 since I got that Harmony cart a few days ago. I added all my favorites to the SD card, and a lot more. I can't get enough of Stampede and Barnstorming, and keystone kapers is a lot of fun too. I own a rather dirty and dusty 2600 Darth Vader. I love that model. I also have a few 7800's and a whole stack of 2600 Jr. But this dirty old black box is my favorite model.

• Like 2

Its great to see someone admit to not knowing how to play this game and asking for and getting help.

Actually, it's kind of depressing that it apparently didn't even occur to him to type "yars revenge manual" into Google, which would have given him exactly the information he needed in less than a minute.

When in doubt, RTFM.

Actually, it's kind of depressing that it apparently didn't even occur to him to type "yars revenge manual" into Google, which would have given him exactly the information he needed in less than a minute.

True, but if you that already call depressing, what a hard life do you have then? :D

I was (and am) enthusiastic playing around with my Harmony cart, and I spent time fooling around with this game, and I love talking about atari with other enthusiasts, so I thought: why not ask here. A lot of people were immediately ready to help, which I appreciated a lot.

• Like 2

Yars' Revenge has a fair old learning curve, but that makes it a thinking person's game rather than a button-mashing exercise. I managed to figure it out without any instructions, but it took me a little while. It's not an easy game to explain, but I'll give it a shot:

The idea is to shoot at the red defence barrier until you expose the enemy. When the enemy is exposed, you shoot at him. If you hit the enemy, a shot comes at you from behind and the idea is to manipulate that shot into hitting the enemy. If you do that, you go on to the next level.

Even after the nes came out I always craved playing a game of yars. The sound and gameplay is awesome!! Star castle has nothing on it. Not to take away from the awesome programming as of late of star castle which is a work of art, but yars to me is simply the better game.

I didn't get Yars' in the 80's (figuratively), so I didn't get Yars' in the 80's (literally).

Since I've finally spent some substantial time playing it over the last couple of years, it's now apparent what all the fuss was about way back when.

Seriously fun game. :thumbsup:

Better late than never. ;) .

• Like 1

Well I bought this game used, with box but no instructions, and... after loking at the video, I got all the games mechanics. I only did'nt know you wont an extra life by shooting the moving ennemy, but as I never tried than AND lives aren't displayed either, I couldn't know.

Took me just like 2 minutes to figure out all the game play after sticking the game on. Mastering it is another story but heh... Get imaginative people, you have 4 directiosn and one action button! How hard can it be to figure out an Atari 2600 game controls? (well okay, except for oddities like Raiders of the Lost Ark)

Had Yars since a young lad so to me the concept is easy, also had E.T as a lad and really enjoyed it as i knew what to do. However we used to read the manuals as a family(mum did lol) to figure these games out, without a manual you have no idea of the vast variations on the cart at the minimum. Yars is fairly straight forward but E.T had 8 directions and a fire button too yet a complete different story.

Sure after some time you understand how it works but with a manual you get complete understanding of what to do. Even games like Star Master and Space Shuttle that use the console switches as functions, you would have no idea without the manual and just fly around shooting at nothing until out of fuel. 2600 had no in game walkthrough tutorials like they have on xbox's nowadays, just a simple ol' manual.

Edited by Tony The 2600