IGNORED

Klax - Japanese Version

djrodderz

It is not nearly worth the 349 $ this auction asks for if that's why you're asking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Lynx-KLAX-JAPAN-VERSION-Very-Rare-Japanese-Variation-Jaguar-2600-/291061140082?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item43c4988a72

Is it yours by any chance? ;)

A few months ago several japanese Lynx games sold for under 10 Euros a piece on eBay Germany.

• Like 1

The thing about the Lynx is that the japanese games are rare, but there don't seem to be many people looking for them. You can pay 349$ if you really want it, but chances are it will eventually pop up in an auction and be considerably cheaper.

Look at this Chip's Challenge... I guess it is a japanese version, having an asian manual coming with it... but it sold for only 4,25. I was't even aware it existed, didn't see it on Jean Philippe Garin's site and he has pretty much everything.

post-21561-0-89709700-1390522948_thumb.jpg

I am no expert though, but with the Japanese releases being under the radar they are usually not too pricey. Lynx games in general don't fetch much anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your stuff. :)

Atari tried, though I wouldn't call it "hard". There's like half a dozen japanese Lynx games, I think after that they just sold the international versions if any at all. There was also talk of terrible supply problems, leading to only a small number of systems reaching Japan.

The Jag was released there too with little success.

I am the seller of the Japanese Klax on ebay. It's the only one I've ever come found after years of searching and in my experience is much tougher to find than the other Lynx carts released there.

It was recently covered in "Collector's Corner" of a recent issue of GamesTM, which I've scanned and uploaded. Note the "Expected to Pay" and the offers that the guy on the second page has received for his:

so7KfFS.jpg

NOXh77F.jpg

Edited by kurtori

You can always try, but I don't think it is a realistic price. I would not trust GamesTM "professional" evaluation of the price much. This would make it the most valuable Lynx game by far, and I don't believe this for a moment. The thing is it won't pop up very often, and as the_Laird who was the owner of it in the magazine wrote, he got it "by accident". And that's the best way to find it I suppose, not searching for specific listings for a japanese version, but searching fr Klax in general or game lots.

Rarity does not equal value. The value is defined by how high the demand is.

Show me an auction that really ended with a price like that and I will believe it is worth it. The prices that were supposedly offered to the Laird have to be taken with a grain of salt seeing his reputation. You say it yourself, you never saw one in years, neither did GamesTM I bet ... this price is just a veeeery wild guess imo. But I don't blame you for trying, I would do it as well.

EDIT: Just found it in a Japanese online shop for 14 $.^^

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 3

The only one I'm seeing on Amazon.co.jp has American artwork...

If you're able to get it for $14 then that sounds like a great deal for you.

Even if finding it "by accident" is the way it's turned up for some in the past, that's not exactly a sure way of ever obtaining it for someone who wants one. I sought one out and knew what I was looking for and receiving, and it wasn't easy.

Like I said, try to get as much as you can. I would do the same.

But the real value can only be determined by an auction. If you or anyone paid such a price you most likely overpaid.

Not only I could get it for 14 $, everyone could. It's no private offer but a big online shop I linked to. You just need a person in Japan to send it to yo, since surugaya doesn't offer international shipping.

• Like 2

I have a couple of Japanese games, they are some of the prizes of my collection. I especially like the Klax cart because of the cart variation. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it but it was around 150 for a complete but not sealed set. For me 150 was worth it. I don't think I would pay 3-4 hundred for it, though I've been known to pay some outrageous prices for items I really wanted in order to complete my collection. A large part of value is timing. Get two crazy addicted collectors after it and the price can go through the roof. Of course once the rabid collectors have a copy, good luck selling it at all lol.

Edited by MrBland

Why on earth are the voices missing from the Japanese version? That's the best part! And what's the purpose of the cartridge variant? And slightly different box art? Didn't Atari have better things to waste their resources on?

My copy isn't actually missing the voices. I don't know if that means there are two different Japanese versions of to it's just misinformation about the voices being removed.

I'm glad to hear the voices are actually in there.

But I still don't get going crazy collecting something just because it's rare. I could understand if the game itself was better, like the Japanese SoR 3 for example, but if the game itself is the same or worse, why would you even want it?