IGNORED

XBX > PS2 > GCN in gaming reviews.

theaveng

When I posted that message to planetgamecube.com and n-philes.com, it was immediately deleted.  Now we know how Nintendo-ites deal with negative news... they censor it.  At least psxnation.com is open enough to allow free speech.

I did see this topic up over at n-philes... they shut it down? n-philes seems to be paranoid over "console war" discussions, and usually kills them pretty fast. I can't say I'm a big fan of these discussions myself...

more proof.....gamerankings.com (games over 90%)

1. Halo XBox Microsoft 92 8.8 95.1% 95.4%  

2. Splinter Cell XBox Ubi Soft 77 8.7 92.6% 93.0%  

3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 XBox Activision 48 8.0 90.8% 91.1%  

4. NFL 2K3 XBox Sega 40 8.3 90.6% 91.0%  

5. Panzer Dragoon Orta XBox Sega 52 8.5 90.7% 90.3%  

1. Metroid Prime NGC Nintendo 62 8.2 95.9% 96.6%  

2. Zelda: The Wind Waker NGC Nintendo 8 8.5 96.0% 96.0%  

3. Zelda: OOT & Master Quest NGC Nintendo 10 9.1 91.8% 92.2%  

4. Super Mario Sunshine NGC Nintendo 78 8.3 91.1% 91.7%  

5. Super Smash Bros. Melee NGC Nintendo 68 8.7 90.6% 91.5%  

6. Resident Evil NGC Capcom 73 8.5 90.8% 90.8%  

7. Tiger Woods 2003 NGC Electronic Arts 14 7.5 90.7% 90.8%  

8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 NGC Activision 44 8.1 90.4% 90.5%  

9. TimeSplitters 2 NGC Eidos Interactive 30 8.3 91.3% 90.2%  

1. Grand Theft Auto III PS2 Rockstar Games 94 8.7 94.9% 95.3%  

2. Metal Gear Solid 2 PS2 Konami 89 8.6 94.8% 95.1%  

3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City PS2 Rockstar Games 75 8.4 94.8% 94.3%  

4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 PS2 Activision 76 8.5 93.3% 94.0%  

5. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec PS2 SCEA 93 8.7 93.5% 93.6%  

6. Pro Evolution Soccer 2 PS2 KCEJ 12 8.2 92.0% 93.1%  

7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 PS2 Activision 41 8.1 92.2% 93.0%  

8. Final Fantasy X PS2 Square 96 8.8 91.9% 92.1%  

9. Madden NFL 2003 PS2 EA Sports 39 8.4 92.3% 92.0%  

10. Madden NFL 2002 PS2 Electronic Arts 53 8.5 92.1% 91.9%  

11. SSX PS2 Electronic Arts 80 8.3 92.0% 91.8%  

12. Devil May Cry PS2 Capcom 81 8.4 90.6% 91.7%  

13. NFL 2K3 PS2 Sega 30 7.7 91.1% 91.6%  

14. Virtua Fighter 4 PS2 Sega 69 8.4 91.3% 91.5%  

15. NBA 2K3 PS2 Sega 24 8.3 92.2% 91.2%  

16. TimeSplitters 2 PS2 Eidos Interactive 57 8.1 92.2% 91.0%  

17. ICO PS2 SCEA 79 8.6 90.9% 91.0%  

18. SSX Tricky PS2 Electronic Arts 65 8.7 90.6% 90.9%  

19. NCAA Football 2003 PS2 EA Sports 28 8.4 91.7% 90.5%  

20. Pro Evolution Soccer PS2 Konami 12 8.0 91.1% 90.5%  

21. Twisted Metal: Black PS2 SCEA 76 8.1 90.4% 90.1%  

ps2 is the clear winner i think..

Now you're getting anal...

And PS2 is the clear winner of what? A media blitz? Brainwashing? Sony does this with every product it has, convinces easy to fleece consumers that they make a superior product. How ironic is it that many of the games listed for the PS2 are also available for the XBox and GC and are exactly the same game and yet don't get similar ratings. You go ahead and tell me that these statistics are accurate and unbiased. Yeah I might believe you. :roll: Because the proof isn't right in front of my face.

Go ahead and love your Piece of Shit 2. You wanna be gullible and think it is the best console out there go ahead and delude yourself. Go ahead and play a sub-quality system. I have one, have played it and it is the WORST system I have ever played, and no amount of worthless stats will convince me otherwise. Sheep!

Now you're getting anal...

And PS2 is the clear winner of what?  A media blitz? Brainwashing? Sony does this with every product it has, convinces easy to fleece consumers that they make a superior product.  How ironic is it that many of the games listed for the PS2 are also available for the XBox and GC and are exactly the same game and yet don't get similar ratings. You go ahead and tell me that these statistics are accurate and unbiased. Yeah I might believe you.  :roll:  Because the proof isn't right in front of my face.

Go ahead and love your Piece of Shit 2. You wanna be gullible and think it is the best console out there go ahead and delude yourself. Go ahead and play a sub-quality system. I have one, have played it and it is the WORST system I have ever played, and no amount of worthless stats will convince me otherwise. Sheep!

heh ;) and isnt it funny how when a game is made for xbox, thats also made for the pos2 and GC, the xbox always has the enhancements and usually looks better and either plays better or the same, but yet somehow still gets bad ratings - i think most reviewers and gamers just want to put MS and the Xbox down because of their "hatred" towards him and his company -

i think its doing bad in japan because the japanese are upset that the americans built a better console ;)

I don't care which console is best or which games get a high rating from any site/person but I do know that the PS2 has never gotten me excited - even when it's only competition was the Dreamcast. The DC did manage to excite me and still does :) About the only consistant thing with any Sony console that I have is that both collect way more dust than anything else I own :D

Actually, I think those game lists prove that ALL the current consoles suck.

Why?

Read down the list. Every other game is a license of some kind (once upon a time that would have been the kiss of death for a game, since inevitably the gameplay sucked) and the ones that aren't licenses are pretty much variations on the FPS or racing sims. Even Metroid has been reduced to a jazzed-up me-too FPS in its current life.

The consoles now are stuck in the same rut as the arcades were 5 years ago.... anything unique simply won't make it, and you're forced to contend with hundreds of cookie cutter games. Instead of virtua kick the shit out of some japanese guy you have virtua sneak up on someone and blow their brains out. Yay. Been there played that bought the T-shirt over it. Now give me something that is as different and world-rocking as Pac-Man was in 1980, SMB was in 1984, etc.

"Oh, well, in this game you can actually see the texture in the shadows and if you don't sneak up on the guy quietly he'll turn around and shoot you! It's nothing like Quake at all!"

...I puke, the end.

"Oh, well, in this game you can actually see the texture in the shadows and if you don't sneak up on the guy quietly he'll turn around and shoot you!  It's nothing like Quake at all!"

...I puke, the end.

Blame the developers then, not the consoles. Or go a step beyond that, blame the consumers, not the developers. The developers produce what the consumers will buy, and what they buy are licenses, rehashed sports games, and remakes of classics. I learned the hard way that if you MIGHT be interested in an RPG, buy it the first week it's released. You wait a few weeks and it'll be discontinued due to lack of sales and all the copies sent back. I had a chance to buy Xenogears when it was new and missed it, and spent the at least 12 more months looking for it used at a reasonable price. With XenoSaga, I took no chances.

...games listed for the PS2 are also available for the XBox/GC and are exactly the same game and yet don't get similar ratings... You go ahead and tell me that these statistics are accurate and unbiased. Yeah I might believe you.  Because the proof isn't right in front of my face.

Actually, *if* the ~100 different reviewers are biased (I don't think they are when you average them together..the biases nullify themselves)... *if* the reviewers are biased then the bias is in favor of the X-box. Its game reviews average 2% higher than the PS2.

XBX = 82.5%

PS2 = 80.5%

GCN = 79.1%

Source: http://www.gametab.com/cat/ps2

Doesn't that suck when numbers disprove your argument? hahahaha. Sorry, just thought that was funny. ;-)

You guys make a good point about creators doing the same games over and over. How many Resident Evils or Tomb Raiders have there been? 7 each? Makes you wonder why they don't invent something new. But then again, there were around 7 Pac-Mans in the 1980's too, so cloning games is nothing new.

Here's another list you guys might be interested in. It's EXCLUSIVES ONLY:

1. Halo XBox Microsoft 92 8.8 95.1% 95.4%

5. Panzer Dragoon Orta XBox Sega 52 8.5 90.7% 90.3%

1. Metroid Prime NGC Nintendo 62 8.2 95.9% 96.6%

2. Zelda: The Wind Waker NGC Nintendo 8 8.5 96.0% 96.0%

3. Zelda: OOT & Master Quest NGC Nintendo 10 9.1 91.8% 92.2%

4. Super Mario Sunshine NGC Nintendo 78 8.3 91.1% 91.7%

5. Super Smash Bros. Melee NGC Nintendo 68 8.7 90.6% 91.5%

6. Resident Evil NGC Capcom 73 8.5 90.8% 90.8%

5. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec PS2 SCEA 93 8.7 93.5% 93.6%

6. Pro Evolution Soccer 2 PS2 KCEJ 12 8.2 92.0% 93.1%

8. Final Fantasy X PS2 Square 96 8.8 91.9% 92.1%

12. Devil May Cry PS2 Capcom 81 8.4 90.6% 91.7%

14. Virtua Fighter 4 PS2 Sega 69 8.4 91.3% 91.5%

17. ICO PS2 SCEA 79 8.6 90.9% 91.0%

20. Pro Evolution Soccer PS2 Konami 12 8.0 91.1% 90.5%

21. Twisted Metal: Black PS2 SCEA 76 8.1 90.4% 90.1%

I believe that right now the Xbox is just a PS 2.5 . More games are developed for the PS2 because developers see the total amount of systems out there and think this is their best chance at profit. Their game is released and runs it's course of mediocrity garnishing 6's , 5's , maybe a 7 here and there. When it stops selling the game company decides to port to XBX to make some more money out of it. In the process they decide to do minor graphical enhancements(usually in the process of this they screw up the controls). Viola! Ho Hum PS2 game = Ho Hum XBX game, surprised not me. Alot of GC games look phenomenal but they are made by big N themselves, and coded for the GC, this is a big advantage. When microsoft gets their first party stuff out to us(please halo2) it will level the playing field considerably. When developers realize the the big PS2 install base comes with enormous competition in the form of a HUGE library(ps1 games count) I think there will be a lot more GC only and XBX only games. An average RPG game on PS2 sells very poorly with all the excellent RPG's on the system, on the other hand an average RPG on the Cube or Box will sell well due to the lack of games in this genre. I'm not in favor of "Console Exclusive" games but If a game is made for and optimized for one particular system it is soooo much better look at Metroid Prime and Panzer Dragoon.

Why?

Read down the list.  Every other game is a license of some kind (once upon a time that would have been the kiss of death for a game, since inevitably the gameplay sucked) and the ones that aren't licenses are pretty much variations on the FPS or racing sims.   Even Metroid has been reduced to a jazzed-up me-too FPS in its current life.  

The consoles now are stuck in the same rut as the arcades were 5 years ago.... anything unique simply won't make it, and you're forced to contend with hundreds of cookie cutter games.  Instead of virtua kick the shit out of some japanese guy you have virtua sneak up on someone and blow their brains out.  Yay.  Been there played that bought the T-shirt over it.  Now give me something that is as different and world-rocking as Pac-Man was in 1980, SMB was in 1984, etc.

"Oh, well, in this game you can actually see the texture in the shadows and if you don't sneak up on the guy quietly he'll turn around and shoot you!  It's nothing like Quake at all!"

...I puke, the end.

Ico isn't a license ;p nor is Halo. Metroid's FPS turn was very successful because it doens't play like a standard FPS, but like a Metroid game from Samus's perspective.

You want different? The Bemani games are different. And like those other 2 you lsited, they've had plenty of me toos, just so happens the same company made a number of em.

Why do discussions about modern consoles always turn into personal attacks? If you don't like a console don't buy it. Buy and play what ya like. Calling consoles the Piece of Shit 2, Gaycube or XFlop just shows that you are a biased troll.

You are damn straight I called the PS2 a Piece of Shit, because it is. I don't know how much money we have wasted on games for that system, Maximo, Ico, and Devil May Cry being the exceptions, and we no longer have any of the games we bought for it, because it SUCKS. I will attack it all I want because it SUCKS, IMO, which I am allowed to have.. :P and while that may make me biased it does not make me a troll...

The PS2 is an affront to me personally, Sony is an affront to me personally..

Now let me tell you how I really feel :D

theaveng - Now My Opinion: I think number of high-quality games are more important than percentage of the library. Given the choice between 17 X-box games or 23 PS2 games rated >80%, which would you choose? I'd choose the latter, because more games is better.

Maybe you should keep your personal opinions out too then........This is about professional reviews

Your opinion is off-topic.  The topic of this thread is PROFESSIONAL REVIEWS, not our individual opinions.  Please confine comments to discussing the scores given by professional reviewers.  Thank you.

I started by discussing these PROFESSIONAL OPINIONS, which I will again state are based on stats that can be extremelly skewed.

You seem to spend a lot of time looking for stats trying to prove something, what I'm not sure, but as I have stated before I think relying on any reviews or ratings or statistics to prove "mine is bigger than yours and therefore better" is pointless. You can scour the web and magazines and get all the PROFESSIONAL OPINIONS you want, but as far as I am concerned it doesn't do anything but show bias.

Just like I do not rely on polls to sway my political opinion, I don't rely on stats to determine what games or system I am going to spend my money on, or listen to critics when deciding what movie I will go see. When something is based on opinion, it is just that an opinion.

So that is my discussion of these so called professional reviewers, WHO CARES?

I already addressed the bias issue:

If the ~100 different reviewers are biased (I don't think they are when you average them together..the biases nullify themselves)... *if* the reviewers are biased then the bias is in favor of the X-box. Its game reviews average 2% higher than the PS2.

XBX = 82.5%

PS2 = 80.5%

GCN = 79.1%

Source: http://www.gametab.com/cat/ps2

As for why I seek out stats: Because it's easier to make judgements based on facts, than to just randomly guess.

Also I wanted to satisfy my curiosity. I said that in the *very first post*.