IGNORED

What program you use for a Coleco game

JoddNemo

Man that is so awesome, wish I had the brain to code, I am imaginative and somewhat artistic but damn when it comes to any kind of computations, calculations etc, I am just not up to the task :( and no it's not a question of lacking confidence, motivation, study, dedication, just honest as I humbly and embarrassingly admit I am literally not capable of it, learning issues. I once gave my all to a web design course but once it came to databases, excel use etc, I was totally unable to cope. It's funny my wife is in I.T. and works on software implementation and deployment and I look over her shoulder sometimes at her projects and it might as well be hieroglyphics. Don't get me wrong, most of my friends / relatives are in awe over my Pc building skills or knowledge of hooking up complex Home Theaters, cabling, and my wife who works in I.T. comes to me or recommends me to others when it comes to certain types of computer work from removing virus's to getting someone's computer back to working better than new but the old brain could never handle calculations, numbers etc on any serious level. Pretty much once numbers are involved to me it's like staring into the MATRIX, just a bunch of code I can make no sense out of. Man, I often thought it would be cool to make a game, especially on colecovision my favorite console of it's time! Ah well, guess I was only meant to play the games. I admit I am in awe and somewhat jealous of the people who can program / code seriously. And I really do not know why I just typed all that or admitted it but ah well Atariage is a second home to me and I don't want to waste it now that I have typed it all. Sorry if I veered off track too much. lol.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

@OldSchoolRetroGamer:

There's no shame in making games for the PC either if BASIC or C is too confusing. Game Maker from YoYoGames lets you get your feet wet with drag n drop game making. Only when you're ready do you really need to dip into actual code.

https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

Just because the platform isn't retro doesn't mean you can't create games like this:

• Like 1

@OldSchoolRetroGamer:

There's no shame in making games for the PC either if BASIC or C is too confusing. Game Maker from YoYoGames lets you get your feet wet with drag n drop game making. Only when you're ready do you really need to dip into actual code.

https://www.yoyogames.com/studio

Just because the platform isn't retro doesn't mean you can't create games like this:

Hmmm....maybe...I will look into it. I would have no problem regarding the platform, I like the idea of retro looking games simply because I find it interesting to see someone take something modern and how they go about successfully transferring it to a retro type of game. What I mean is, of course modern games, computers, consoles everything can look authentic easily enough with a skilled person or persons involved because graphics and sound effects are so realistic these days. I find it much more interesting to look at what might be considered primitive / simple graphics and still you recognize the characters the programmer is trying to represent, or the location or setting. Even if it is more of a parody or say a "tribute" to an known character or world, of course I don't want to do anything that would get me in trouble with copyright or licensing so I would attempt to make it close without being an obvious ripoff. Anyway, getting waaaaay ahead of myself aren't I lol? Thanks, this at least gives me hope and something to consider, who knows? Maybe someday I will want to start thread about a game I am working on.......... :)

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

There are multiple options. The most popular ones these days seem to be programming in C or in asm. Now, most C programmers seem to use sdcc as their compiler (previously, HITECH-C was popular). For sdcc there are at least two sets of libraries/tools: The one by newcoleco and mine.

Here are some tutorials on getting started:

http://colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/development/tutorial0.shtml

http://colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/development/tutorial1.shtml

http://colecovision.eu/ColecoVision/development/tutorial2.shtml

Philipp

Edited by PkK