IGNORED

Ultimate 1 MB Use/Configuration Questions

Larry

First, thanks to Jon's efforts, the new UFLASH 1.0 successfully programs my Atarimax (Bright) rom. Programmed the first try with zero issues.

@Jon- look for a donation as evidence of my appreciation for your hard work on our behalf.

That's great to hear Larry - really kind of you to shout up about your positive experience, not to mention the generous donation. Folks (perhaps understandably) often provide feedback only when something doesn't work. I was pretty sure the application would be damned useful, though (I used it without issue about 100 times when revising the PBI BIOS), and I'm absolutely delighted you found it useful. If a tool gets one person out of a scrape, then the investment of time developing it is somehow justified.

Thanks again!

Here's a configuration question about the U1MB and the IDE+2.

If I boot to SIO then the SDX 4.6a in the Ultimate works fine. If I attach the IDE+2 then however I have the +2 set overrides the Ultimate. So... if I have a bootable MyDos partition on the +2, then MyDos Boots. If I set SDX on the IDE+2 active, then it takes control. But if I have no bootable Dos on the IDE+2 and have the Ultimate SDX ON, then I just get an error "no dos." Seems like a reasonable way for it to work, but it this the way it works for others?

I should add that if BOTH SDX's are set to ON, then there is no boot -- just a black screen. Again, seems like a logical result.

-Larry

Yeah, both SDX's enabled is a no-no, and if you have Ultimate, then I'd tend to go with the built-in Ultimate SDX. But when Ultimate SDX is enabled and IDE Plus's SDX is disabled, SDX should always boot on a cold-start regardless of what's on the disk. If you're getting "Error: no DOS", then Ultimate's SDX is not booting for some reason. Make sure you hop into the BIOS, enable SDX, then Save and Quit.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Back with UFLASH... Let me verify a couple of things. I want to replace 3 of the OS rom images and add a couple of language images to the CAR1 and CAR2 slots.

"Slot descriptions can be edited and flashed to the ROM at any time, as well as exported to plain text files or imported from those same saved files. In addition, customized slot descriptions persist even when the BIOS (in which the description data is stored) is replaced." After editing the names, do I have to flash that slot with an imported image? The docs suggest to me that the names can be flashed separately from the slots. (?) But I see no way to do this other than to 1) edit the name then 2) load and flash that entire slot (even if the rom contents is unchanged)?

-Larry

Back with UFLASH... Let me verify a couple of things. I want to replace 3 of the OS rom images and add a couple of language images to the CAR1 and CAR2 slots.

"Slot descriptions can be edited and flashed to the ROM at any time, as well as exported to plain text files or imported from those same saved files. In addition, customized slot descriptions persist even when the BIOS (in which the description data is stored) is replaced." After editing the names, do I have to flash that slot with an imported image? The docs suggest to me that the names can be flashed separately from the slots. (?) But I see no way to do this other than to 1) edit the name then 2) load and flash that entire slot (even if the rom contents is unchanged)?

Not sure where the ambiguity lies (perhaps the supposition is that the descriptions are encoded alongside the slot content, which is not so), but I'll attempt to clarify: descriptions are stored in the BIOS slot (i.e. where the Ultimate menu lives). The descriptions (edited or otherwise) persist regardless of other slots you update, or even if you update the BIOS slot itself (the descriptions are then cached and merged back into the BIOS update). Edited descriptions are only lost when you flash the entire 512KB ROM (they are then not cached and merged), and even then, you can export them first and then import them again. Or you can dump the entire 512KB to disk, edit it with a hex editor or similar, then re-flash it, descriptions and all. So it should be apparent that you can change the slot descriptions as and when you please, and there's no co-dependency on what's actually in the ROM slots.

So, say you wanted to flash the Assembler/Editor ROM to the second BASIC slot. Flash the slot, then edit the description and choose "Flash Descriptions". Job done.

"Flash Descriptions" is on the "Device" menu, BTW.

Edited by flashjazzcat