IGNORED

Poll: Who has a 7800, modded with Eckhard's DevOS?

CPUWIZ

Who has a 7800, modded with Eckhard's DevOS?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have one or have plans to eventually mod your system?

• Me, I have one!
    • Want to, but can't.
    • Why would you?
    • Don't know what that means.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

It may be possible to upgrade the parallel interface to USB with one of the new USB-to-FIFO bridge chips (here is a development module for one such chip). This would allow a more modern implementation of 7800CTRL on the PC side to use the same protocol, only through USB instead of through the parallel port. I started working on a Java-based replacement for 7800CTRL using the RXTX library, but I've long since lost the code.

I have a version of 7800CTRL, that uses one of those FTDI USB to 5V serial cables. Since it's library allows you to access all pins directly, I was able to implement the old protocol with it. But since the protocol transfers one bit at a time, and driver calls are slow on Windows, this version only works at a speed that is unusable for 7800 development. I only get 60 bytes per second instead of 6000 bytes per second on the old DOS parallel port version. So changing the BIOS to serial transfer might still be necessary.
  • Like 1

@Eckhard Stolberg: Why didn't you go the Starpath SuperCharger route? Loading games like a modem from a sound source? You could have saved millions of cassettes from the landfill! :)

Like I said, DevOS started out as a cartridge reader. And at supercharger audio speed it would have had to be silent for about 30 minutes while I recorded the 7800 beeping out the binary into a microphone. That's just not possible in our house. ;)
  • Like 1

I have some serial transfer routines halfway done. I know I always say I'll finish them every time this topic comes up and then never do that, but that is mainly because of all the 2600 dumping routines. Most of them run in the 128 byte RIOT RAM. For some of them space is tight and timing is difficult, so changing the transfer routine to serial might not be possible. That's why I usually give up pretty quickly. If the change is just for the RAMONA RAM cart BIOS, I might be able to finish them this time. Really. ;)

I don't know if you've seen this:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/78065-how-to-dump-your-fb2-games/

It has serial transmitting routines for dumping on a 2600 at several different baud rates (running from RIOT RAM). Source is included, may be a good reference to look at...

well, I had one and used it to dump some homebrews, but I was never proficient enough to make the dev cart.

when I got a new pc with no serial port I sold it.

I could easily build another, but I would need a cart ;) and a more current method of data transfer, USB, Bluetooth!

well, I had one and used it to dump some homebrews, but I was never proficient enough to make the dev cart.

when I got a new pc with no serial port I sold it.

I could easily build another, but I would need a cart ;) and a more current method of data transfer, USB, Bluetooth!

dx.com has some cheap arduinos and even bluetooth add ons. http://dx.com/s/arduino

Instead of dumping carts maybe a bluetooth devcart is in order :)

Was the reason for this poll ever explained? If there's going to be a run of RAM carts then I might pick up the ready to go system from timdu. If not I'll go with the 7800 harmony whenever that comes out.

Spend more money but get my games tested on real hardware sooner..

Spend a little less and discover bugs late in the development cycle. hmmn..