IGNORED

BASIC compilers, compiled!

Jess Ragan

SecondBASIC is made by an AtariAge member nicknamed dra600n. He's published physical titles including Veteas BOMB on BASIC City. I made War in the Machine for GoodDealGames :)

Although SecondBASIC has its own official forum most people still lurk in the forum for the previous BASIC compiler:

http://devster.proboards.com/board/1/basiegaxorz-forums

Awesome, thank you.

My interest is really mostly in chiptunes. I have a bunch of songs I've written over the last 20 years targeted at OPL3 MIDI chips in Sound Blaster Pro or SB 16 cards, and I'd love to see what I can do to port some of that stuff to the Genesis just to see how it sounds. And to do that, I want a play/pause interface, and to do that I need the dev tools. Most of my professional development experience is in modern languages, but I've got BASIC experience going back to the VIC20. I doubt it's directly applicable, but it should aid me in my quest. :lol:

I'm hoping the BASIC in the stickied tutorial thread applies to SecondBASIC as well as BEX

Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

My interest is really mostly in chiptunes. I have a bunch of songs I've written over the last 20 years targeted at OPL3 MIDI chips in Sound Blaster Pro or SB 16 cards, and I'd love to see what I can do to port some of that stuff to the Genesis just to see how it sounds.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're wanting to do, but have you considered just creating your Genesis tunes in Deflemask, rather than poking registers in BASIC?

• Like 1

Holy crap. Yes, this. ROM builder and emulation all right there. I wanted to hear them on my Genesis and this looks like the way to do it.

I sent you a message offering help to convert your songs to the genesis. But, recreating them is probably the best way to go. :) .VGM is usually the best format. SecondBASIC needs to convert that to .XGM but it's not a huge step.

I sent you a message offering help to convert your songs to the genesis. But, recreating them is probably the best way to go. :) .VGM is usually the best format. SecondBASIC needs to convert that to .XGM but it's not a huge step.

Whoops, sorry I did t see that PM. I mostly browse AA on my phone and the notification went by unnoticed. Thank you for the offer but I do want to tackle this on my own. :)

• Like 1

Make sure you add BASIC Studio for PS2. That is from Artdink and is awesome. It lets you program on your console, had a 3d model maker, scenery maker, music maker and more. The only downside is that the manuals are all in Japanese.

The actual BASIC is in English but the error messages are in Japanese.

I wish that one would get English patched!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

as shown at http://www.boriel.com/wiki/en/index.php/ZX_BASIC:Released_Programs, here is the list of hardware that i used Boriel’s ZX-Basic compiler:

Game Consoles: Amstrad GX4000 (console based on Amstrad CPC+); Bally Astrocade; Casio PV-1000; ColecoVision; Sega SG1000, Master System and GameGear

Home Computers: Sinclair ZX-Spectrum (by default) and ZX81; ZX-Evolution/ATM-Turbo (Russian extended ZX-Spectrum clone); MSX, Casio PV-2000 and Sord M5; Mattel Aquarius and Sharp MZ-700; Amstrad CPC and Enterprise 64/128; MGT Sam Coupé; CCE MC-1000 (Brazilian computer, it’s like a CoCo using a z80 instead of 6809, like NEC-PC 6001); Philips/Radiola VG5000; TRS-80 Model I; Bandai Gundam RX-78

Arcade machines: over 100 of them, including: Bally/Midway Rampage; Capcom 1942, Black Tiger and Vulgus; Irem M52 and M62 (like Moon Patrol and Kung Fu Master); Konami Green Beret, Ping Pong, Pooyan, Scramble, Time Pilot; Stern Berzerk; Taito Chack'n'Pop and Minivader; Tecmo Rygar and Solomon’s Key; Tehkan Bomb Jack and Pinball Action; Universal Do Castle, Lady Bug and Mr. Do; etc..

for that i mostly was avoiding ZX-Spectrum, including functions for the specific targeted hardware, and patching the compiled result into image cartridges, image tapes or image disks depending to each hardware using bash script - until now i only did that on GNU/Linux, but i guess it is not difficult to do the same on non GNU/Linux operating systems, specially those non-Unix-based

----

what would be really great was if someone could help forking Boriel’s ZX-Basic Compiler to target other architectures like 6502, 6809, 68000, etc. (68000 actually has BasiEgaXorz and SecondBasic, but both of them are way too dependent of GUI and Wine (or ms-windoze natively), making these both cross-compilers extremelly painful for attempting to compile to other 68000-based machines than Megadrive/Genesis, like NeoGeo, Amiga, Atari-ST, Sinclair QL, Macintosh Plus/II/Classic, etc. )

• Like 1