IGNORED

A new way to play PONG SPORTS!

Rob Mitchell

Some of you may have read about my interest in making a singular Paddle Controller. See ...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21877

Well tonight I did it! I cut the plug off a pair of paddles! And I stripped the wires of the cables and soldered on two new plugs.

One is for the 5200 wired to plug into a Wico Y splitter. Thus it is a dedicated 5200 paddle (no need to interface to a 5200 controller as suggested in the 5200 FAQ).

The other is a dedicated 2600/7800/8-bit paddle. I wired the button to both pins 3 & 4 and I wired both potentiometer lines together (pins 5 & 9). The reason I did this is because the solitary player uses Pot A on 2600 games and pot B on 8-bit games. So wiring the lines together allows you to use the controller on all these systems.

But I discovered a new benefit to having this paddle control both potentiometer inputs! You can play solitaire PONG by controlling both players at the same time! I put PONG SPORTS (Video Olympics) into the slot and suddenly I had both paddles going up and down at the same rate and had a volley going well! And the rewired button serves the ball by either paddle! This is so freakin' cool!

I remember as a kid trying to control both paddles at the same time (this never works well) .. but now I have control of both TV players on one integrated paddle controller! Neat Oh! :D

So it is worth it to sacrifice one pair of paddles to make two unique paddle controllers! And I got a new way to play PONG as a surprise :D

I wonder how fun this would be to play 2-player Warlords with this integrated paddle. :ponder:

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA