IGNORED

Good/RARE stuff, or just random oddities here? (pick-up from flea market)

Bald_Bull_jr

The 'ol Spidey sense acted up a bit when I found these earlier, but I'd like YOUR opinion(s). I typed in the titles on the 'rarity guide' here, and the "Space Robot" that I saw is NOT this one. As for the others, I'm pretty sure that the 'AstroBattle' is a chopped/home-done thing, as the stickers are just too random and bizarre. (What looks like the Hardy Boys, falling off a tree?!)

As for the Coleco, I learned that they are simply pack-in carts, and not a big affair whatsoever. (Though one thing that DID send a few red flags - the front is EERILY smooth and slick...I am of the opinion that there was never a label there to start with, but....)

Here you go, guys:

post-37779-0-97475500-1391900581_thumb.jpg

post-37779-0-44368400-1391900600_thumb.jpg

post-37779-0-78994800-1391900611_thumb.jpg

Smooth as silk, and appears to have never been opened (?)

post-37779-0-74922700-1391900622_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any and all help, gang!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, guys.

Sadly, Mxyzptlk, the remainder of my 2600s left me a while ago. :(

The oddball/sloppy/poorly sized labels on the 'AstroBattle' were likely added afterwards, eh? I mean, that 'Hardy Boys' pic is just so non-fitting and strange. Also, whats with the obviously hand-done 'AstroBattle' label written on what looks like a standard "Hello, My Name Is _____" label? Why on earth would the previous owner(s) pair this sloppily written/placed label with a seemingly random picture from a fantasy/adventure magazine?!

(Pulls at scalp and beard)

Curious, to say the least. Oh, the 'Space Robot' and 'AstroBattle' are on the same sort of carts, an odd sort of Activision variant, though not QUITE Activision. (?)

Here are pics from other angles. Tried to get a clear shot of the chicken scratching on the backs, looks like letters/numbers. (?)

post-37779-0-29873700-1391919607_thumb.jpg

post-37779-0-89254200-1391919617_thumb.jpg

post-37779-0-34885600-1391919629_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bald_Bull_jr

Any other thoughts, guys? I'm scratching my head here, to say the least.

The 'AstroBattle' looks like like some botched homemade job, for sure, but then WHY on earth is it on an UltraVision cart?! Seems quite unneeded. I mean, if it IS some sort of frankenstein thing, why not do it to, say, a Combat cart or something dirt-common?

Ahhhh, the questions....

What you have found sir, are most probably the pre-release versions of Space Robot and Astrowar from Dimax / Sinmax:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-space-robot_14784.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-astrowar_14785.html

Astrowar was originally called and announced as Astrobattle (see the small ad at the bottom of the pages).

I've never seen a white label Space Robot before.

Both finds are extremely rare and IMO highly collectible.

Space Robot is the first hack in video game history...

Don't take these 'stickers' off, please!

Could you please scan (or make better front pictures of) these two for the Atarimania database?

Also, what I would like to know: is the Dimax logo on screen in Astrobattle?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter
  • Like 1

What you have found sir, are most probably the pre-release versions of Space Robot and Astrowar from Dimax / Sinmax:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-space-robot_14784.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-astrowar_14785.html

Astrowar was originally called and announced as Astrobattle (see the small ad at the bottom of the pages).

I've never seen a white label Space Robot before.

Both finds are extremely rare and IMO highly collectible.

Space Robot is the first hack in video game history...

Don't take these 'stickers' off, please!

Could you please scan (or make better front pictures of) these two for the Atarimania database?

Also, what I would like to know: is the Dimax logo on screen in Astrobattle?

8)

Wow, no kidding? (A bit floored...)

The weirdo labels on the Astrobattle/war cart seem 'legit' to you? This suprises me the most; looks to me like the handiwork of a five-year-old, heh. As far as scanning, my wife tells me there are places close by where I can have this done.

Also, the Disc Replay up the street might have a 2600 that I could 'test' the carts on. If this is the case, I'll assume that I should get multiple screen shots of each?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tickled to the gills over this!

Thanks!

Wow, no kidding? (A bit floored...)

The weirdo labels on the Astrobattle/war cart seem 'legit' to you? This suprises me the most; looks to me like the handiwork of a five-year-old, heh. As far as scanning, my wife tells me there are places close by where I can have this done.

Also, the Disc Replay up the street might have a 2600 that I could 'test' the carts on. If this is the case, I'll assume that I should get multiple screen shots of each?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tickled to the gills over this!

Thanks!

Yes, I think these stickers are from 1983.

Also, I noticed that the white blue manual colors of Space Robot fits the white blue of your cart.

Just screenshots of the startup-screens will do.

Would very much appreciate some raw high quality scans (don't bother the cropping).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

unreleased Ultravision titles ?

http://www.atarihq.com/2678/3party/ultravis.html

Indeed the same games, but not Ultravision in this case.

As you can see on page 5 of this Ultravision press kit, Space Robot (VXS-1047) and Astro Battle (VXS-1048) were announced, but never released by this company:

http://www.atarimania.com/documents/ultravision-atari-2600-press-kit.pdf

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Yes, I think these stickers are from 1983.

Also, I noticed that the white blue manual colors of Space Robot fits the white blue of your cart.

Just screenshots of the startup-screens will do.

Would very much appreciate some raw high quality scans (don't bother the cropping).

8)

Dunno about the terms "raw" and "cropping", outside of vegetable gardening. :P

As for testing the carts, won't there be an NTSC/PAL issue? (Assuming the carts are PAL, and every 2600 deck I'd have access to here would likely be NTSC.)

When I asked her what 'scanning' meant yesterday, wifey said something about a flat-bed scanner that I would lay the carts on. She also tells me that there are local chain places, such as big box stores/shipping outlets that can do this service. Can someone confirm this?

Not that it holds any significance, but I found these carts among a small pile of super-commons and a few Odyssey games. (I grabbed the three Odyssey carts with the little handle at one end, but the other 2600 carts were nothing I thought to bother with - Pac Man, Journey Escape, Sears stuff, etc.etc....the ones I see everywhere for $1-$2 each.)

Thanks again - Going to try and get out later and get these 'scanned'.

Any other thoughts, guys? I'm scratching my head here, to say the least.

The 'AstroBattle' looks like like some botched homemade job, for sure, but then WHY on earth is it on an UltraVision cart?! Seems quite unneeded. I mean, if it IS some sort of frankenstein thing, why not do it to, say, a Combat cart or something dirt-common?

Ahhhh, the questions....

Is it possible somone had a broken plastic cart back in the day and swapped rom chips to a different cart?

The stickers might just be some kid who had lost the original lables and pasted on a sticker from a book club or something?

I know when I was a kid I friggin put stickers on damn near everything LOL!

Just an Idea, I'd leave them alone as well...kind of cool.

Is it possible somone had a broken plastic cart back in the day and swapped rom chips to a different cart?

The stickers might just be some kid who had lost the original lables and pasted on a sticker from a book club or something?

I know when I was a kid I friggin put stickers on damn near everything LOL!

Just an Idea, I'd leave them alone as well...kind of cool.

Sure, anythings possible I suppose. We shall see!

Working on the scans and such, guys. Been hectic here, and not been able to get to a place to have them scanned. My wife is off this weekend, though, so heres hoping! (She drives the car.)

thread-jack alert: | :)

dunno if this is of interest: at the moment it's the best scan I have available

mqt2.png

everywhere I looked I only saw all white text (here & Atarimania)

end labels were the same as elsewhere & game screen same (when I had it)

:?:?:?