IGNORED

Is Collecting for INTV Only About Having Enough $?

boxpressed

I never have a lot of money and i am sort of on the low income end. I have gotten a lot help with my collection and a lot of gifts that i am in debt for life for. Too many people to name.

But for the items i have purchased myself it's all about getting a steal deal off Ebay or that time i got super lucky at a game store getting a CIB Turbo for almost free. I almost never pay full price unless there is an ulterior motive for example buying a game complete just to get the manual and selling the cart and box for almost the same price.There are always ways at getting what you need without having to spend a lot.

Then there was this one time i spotted someone getting an unbelievable deal on a Body Slam and Mud Buggies (side deal) and i side dealed as well to get some rarities. I had never side dealed before then and haven't done it much since. I should ask more often but that is another way to get stuff. It's kind of cheating but hey it's on them to look stuff up to see what it's worth. I was jealous of that Mud Buggies for the longest time but i have to thank that person or i would of never gotten what i did. I wonder who that person was? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Then there was this one time i spotted someone getting an unbelievable deal on a Body Slam and Mud Buggies (side deal) and i side dealed as well to get some rarities. I had never side dealed before then and haven't done it much since. I should ask more often but that is another way to get stuff. It's kind of cheating but hey it's on them to look stuff up to see what it's worth. I was jealous of that Mud Buggies for the longest time but i have to thank that person or i would of never gotten what i did. I wonder who that person was?

You're welcome ;).

Well, I'm assuming that it was me that you are referring to. A few years back, the same seller sold me CIB Stadium Mud Buggies, Body Slam (without manual), Dig Dug and Tower of Doom. I asked him to add a BIN of $20 and he was excited about accepting the offers. This was before I decided to collect all 125 and I resold most of them. There are SO many games I wish I had back from those days (LF1 & LF2 CIB :mad:)

Funny story about that SMB, I received an eBay message a week later after winning it from Pikachu offering me $200 for the game :P.

I don't do much side dealing any more ... I feel dirty afterwards ... but if someone has a low BIN, no regrets at all!

So is side dealing an acceptable part of collecting?

You're welcome ;).

Well, I'm assuming that it was me that you are referring to. A few years back, the same seller sold me CIB Stadium Mud Buggies, Body Slam (without manual), Dig Dug and Tower of Doom. I asked him to add a BIN of $20 and he was excited about accepting the offers. This was before I decided to collect all 125 and I resold most of them. There are SO many games I wish I had back from those days (LF1 & LF2 CIB :mad:)

Funny story about that SMB, I received an eBay message a week later after winning it from Pikachu offering me $200 for the game :P.

I don't do much side dealing any more ... I feel dirty afterwards ... but if someone has a low BIN, no regrets at all!

So is side dealing an acceptable part of collecting?

I knew it was you. lol

Is there an interesting story behind this to share? Feel free to ignore this request if it is a personal thing.

I was trying to pay for some items I won on the Brazil auctions. But when I went to check out it refused to take my payment bc I did not have some special id that Brazilians must use to buy online. So I contacted the sellers to let them know and the people of the auction site asking if there are alternative to send the money, since I didnt have that id because Im not a citizen of Brazil. I then found a government site in Brazil and I tried to apply for one, but they rejcted me and then the auction site banned me. I was not banned from the country, just the auction sites. Well I dont think I was banned from Brazil unless they are upset with me for applying for that ID.

I was fortunate in that I starting collecting Intellivision I'm 1982. So I bought almost everything as it was released.

I was unfortunate in that my mother had me throw away game boxes several years later. But I have everything with instructions and overlays (except for some Homebrews for which I have mislaid th overlays). But you can't play a box.

Other than a few super rare games, most everything for Intellivision can be gotten fairly easily in playable condition. And isn't that what it is all about,

I started collecting along the same lines as BBWW. My father had an Intellivision he kept in immaculate condition with games CIB in this ridiculous leather bag. He would always disconnect the INTV after playing and store it in that bag. So the Intellivision was my first exposure to video games in an era where my cousins had Atari along with everyone else I went to school with. My favorite games were He-Man, D&D Cloudy Mountain, Burgertime, Atlantis, Frog Bog, and Demon Attack. To make a long story short, we ended up getting a 2600, 7800 and then NES. By that point, my father gave the old INTV and games to my cousins. The system broke and I have no idea what happened to the games. I started collecting INTV a year or two ago and my father and I really got back into talking about the INTV and the great times he had playing it with his friends when I was younger. I started collecting and this forum has been full of incredible people who have really helped out with my collection and reliving some great gaming memories. I guess it takes some money to collect quickly or get those expensive games to finally fill in the 125, but to me, the best part is being involved in an active community of great people who genuinely care about the memories and quality of the INTV. Being a "retro gamer" I've been to many forums, but this is by far the best in terms of people and a sense of community.