IGNORED

FPGA TI99/4a?

Manic1975

Have someone see FPGA computer clone (Mist) made by Lotharek and Till? It is on this web page http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=96. I know Lotharek is Atariage member.

Would be possible to write core to emulate TI 99/4a? This way we could have hardware TI emulation and use every module binary. We could even change from Ti99/4 to TI99/4a and to TI99/4a v2.2.

I have read there is core for C64 and ZX Spectrum.

Guys what you think? Is it possible? Bord is here and you need to have core to start TI. It could be dreams come true.. Even you could put it in TI case.... Beter stop to dream...

Edited by Manic1975

There is an official TMS9995 core FPGA you can license.

I been thinking of doing a 68689 FPGA, it would be best way to replace the old aging TMS9900.

I made a test run up of a seven boards for my own usage with actual 68689 chips, which are rare but you can still get them, and they run like a beauty.

This idea is similar to UK project to produce the Geneve 2 Phoenix, it is long time back burner project, that I hope sees soon the light of day.

If I was not stuck in a poor fourth-world country I would be doing alot more time researching and designing some neat things.

Hi, Manic1975, Lotharek and his fellows are doing fine things.

Garry, who sells licenses for FPGA TMS9995 cores?

What are the differences between a TMS9900 and these 68689 microprocessors? I have not had success while I was searching for the 68689 but I stumbled over a company which is still producing TMS9900 microprocessors (no TMS9995 if I am not mistaken). Is there a chance to modify a console with one of these TMS9900/40 types?

Did your turbo-cards (TMS99110 based) ever see the light? I do like the Phoenix project but I do like your accelerator hardware too.

When TI sold its military section the TMS9900 family know how transfered over to the buying company. Designed TI these 68689 chips before or after this deal?

Hi, Manic1975, Lotharek and his fellows are doing fine things.

Garry, who sells licenses for FPGA TMS9995 cores?

What are the differences between a TMS9900 and these 68689 microprocessors? I have not had success while I was searching for the 68689 but I stumbled over a company which is still producing TMS9900 microprocessors (no TMS9995 if I am not mistaken). Is there a chance to modify a console with one of these TMS9900/40 types?

Did your turbo-cards (TMS99110 based) ever see the light? I do like the Phoenix project but I do like your accelerator hardware too.

When TI sold its military section the TMS9900 family know how transfered over to the buying company. Designed TI these 68689 chips before or after this deal?

This company has the rights to '95 core:

Millogic announces additional microcontroller core. --> http://www.millogic.com/news.htm

October 15, 2008 - Millogic adds tm ML9995 core to our selection of microcontroller cores. This core is equivalent to the 16 bit Texas Instruments TMS9995..

The company specializes in supplying custom ASIC and FPGA designs for those using obsolete military products, not sure how costly their '95 FPGA core would be to get installed in your own design.

As for 99105 it was great design, I still have my accelerator wirewrapped TI99 prototype board, it makes a old console very very fast, but tough to do was the '105 had a multiplexed bus, so you got to un multiplexed it to make it drop into the old 9900 spot, so timing and wire length was very very tight off by a hair and nothing worked.

I like the 68689 much better, it was not unstable like the 99105 design and back to full normal 16bit address and data bus, the only problem is datasheet is wrong, the pinouts are incorrect, so you can blow up chip if you wire it up like manual, I sent in a correction notice to TI about it, but I don't think they ever issue a updated version.

The 68689 was basically a 16mhz of the 9900 design, but with extra bit for twice the memory space (128K) and extra signals to allow for multiprocessor usage and expanding the opcode instruction set using external processor (ie. like math coprocessor or dsp, etc)

Personally if I was going to work on new FPGA design I would take the ideas of 68689 and use them maybe even design a multi-core 9900, that would be fun. -- Well so much can be done but all needs time and money to support your daily living.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

There is an official TMS9995 core FPGA you can license.

I been thinking of doing a 68689 FPGA, it would be best way to replace the old aging TMS9900.

I made a test run up of a seven boards for my own usage with actual 68689 chips, which are rare but you can still get them, and they run like a beauty.

This idea is similar to UK project to produce the Geneve 2 Phoenix, it is long time back burner project, that I hope sees soon the light of day.

If I was not stuck in a poor fourth-world country I would be doing alot more time researching and designing some neat things.

Can you still get the 68689 .. I've never seen one !!

• 2 months later...