IGNORED

7800 anticipation

Ripdubski

So i have 8 games inbound. The first, Joust arrived. It is absolutlety killing me to play it, and. I can not wait for the system to arrive. Ugh!

The more I think about it, the more I want a Harmony 2 as well, when available. This system will be my Atari gaming system, in other words it will be played with unlike the other systems. My other systems will stay in storage until I get a display case and have the glass UV protected.

Will the Harmony 2 cover high score saves?

Come on USPS, I'm dying here...

So i have 8 games inbound. The first, Joust arrived. It is absolutlety killing me to play it, and. I can not wait for the system to arrive. Ugh!

The more I think about it, the more I want a Harmony 2 as well, when available. This system will be my Atari gaming system, in other words it will be played with unlike the other systems. My other systems will stay in storage until I get a display case and have the glass UV protected.

Will the Harmony 2 cover high score saves?

Come on USPS, I'm dying here...

The 7800 is by far one of the easiest systems to obtain a complete library for...the H2 will simplify that process even more. You would be surprised at how inexpensive it is to get the entire library CIB. There is only a small handful of "pricey" titles, and even those aren't too bad if you are patient.

IMHO, you should really grab a hold of the homebrews available. Those will truly knock your socks off!!!

• Like 3

I'm a relative newcomer to the 7800 as well. I've had mine for years, but only really did anything with it in the past couple of months. I kind of kick myself for not starting earlier, but it's great to have a "new" system to enjoy. I've managed to collect about twenty games so far . Most CIB.. I totally understand your excitement and know you're going to love the 7800!

I have to admit being surprised by how much I liked my 7800...

I was an Odyssey 2 kid growing up. (I still like the O2!!)

Played some 2600 back in the day, but not much.. Not enough to remember really..

I went O2 to Vic-20 to C64 and was out of consoles...

So, when I was looking back into retro, the only reason I got a 7800 was that it played 2600 AND 7800 games.

I knew nothing about the 7800 really; I was looking at getting a 2600 initially.

So when I got it, it came with a few 7800 games; MsPacMan, Galaga, Xevious, Joust...

Wow.. I was really impressed....

I find now that while I play the occasional 2600 game, I play a LOT more 7800..

And of course, the incredible homebrews... WOW!!!

desiv

(p.s And it was a few months before I realized that if I flipped a switch, Xevious worked properly (2-buttons)..) ;-)

Edited by desiv
  • Like 1

I've been playing more 2600 and 5200 games lately. Every so often I'd play 7800 in emulation, mostly stuff I don't have. Which really pulled me back in a big way. Been playing it on the real hardware like crazy the last few days in free moments. I've even decided to pick up a complete set of the original games. They're largely pretty cheap and I can justify them much more readily to my wife. (Heck, I picked up a copy of Galaga for her and Xevious for my daughter. Feed them their favorites, I find, and they'll come along with you. Heh.)

I very much want to start picking up the homebrews, too. There are some really extraordinary things being done in that segment these days.

Edited by MAC-42

I never had an Atari growing up and remember eyeing the 7800 when it came out but never pulling the trigger. After debating the purchase of a 7800 for awhile, I finally picked up a refurbished one at a local retro game store. My reasoning was as followings:

• I could play all of my Activision favorites from my youth. My neighbor had the 2600; I had an Intellivision. Days would be spent playing Pitfall II and Enduro in his basement (since neither was available for Intellivision).
  • Even the most expensive 7800 games are a fraction of the cost of the highest price Intellivision games
  • The graphics quality is better than the Intv, 5200, or 2600
  • I could play the excellent homebrew titles

I currently have PacManPlus' Super Pac and Jr. Pac games so far and highly recommend either. I'm looking forward to the Astro Blaster game he's presently working one as well as buying more games from him and others as my budget allows. You've definitely made a wise (and economical) choice with the 7800.

Edited by bikeguychicago
  • Like 2

I picked up a nice 7800 lot on here last year, I had no idea it contained probably 75% of a complete collection. I told myself I didn't need a CIB 7800 collection, but after realizing how small the library is I figured I'd go for it. There's something about that early Atari box art! Only 16 games from a full collection, though only maybe 20% are CIB.

• Like 2

Excellent thread-- thanks for the enthusiasm! I'm trying to decide which I wish to focus on: the 7800 or the 5200 for collecting. After hearing you all talking about the 7800 i think I'm going to go that way for starters. (I have lots of systems in totes from early 90s garage sales that I'm just now getting ready to clean up and fully catalog!)

Have fun! Do put a couple of Genesis pads in to play Robotron. Arguably the best of the bunch, but only with the right inputs. Player 2 pads controls your firing direction; player 1 pad controls movement. It is unplayable with one controller and you'd C clamps to use the prolines properly. I wish someone would make the mythical Proline twin stick holder.

Have fun! Do put a couple of Genesis pads in to play Robotron. Arguably the best of the bunch, but only with the right inputs. Player 2 pads controls your firing direction; player 1 pad controls movement. It is unplayable with one controller and you'd C clamps to use the prolines properly. I wish someone would make the mythical Proline twin stick holder.

Yes cause twin prolines coupled together even with the tall stick height would be the best controller IMO for R2084!!

I got the CX24's, do the Genesis pads have two sticks?

Have fun! Do put a couple of Genesis pads in to play Robotron

Now, there's a thought. I'll have to swipe my daughter's Genesis pads and try them out. Normally, I just slap a couple CX40s down on a table. It's a fairly effective approach.

@Ripdubski - No, the Genesis pads are just gamepads a la the NES or other systems. Single d-pad on one side, buttons on the other. Very comfy controllers, though.

Edited by MAC-42

Yeah, I typically hold one SEGA pad in each hand. Robo and Joust on 7800 are two of my all time faves! I cannot and will not play Robo without two pads or two sticks. I keep wishing for a modded Virtual Boy pad that would give me twin sticks on one pad and fire buttons too! One pad to play them all. And 2600 Indiana Jones too!

Wow! Much fun was had! I don't care for the. CX78 europads too much, but the CX40 saved the day.

Was a little disappointed in the control response (both controllers i used) in Ms. Pac-Man but still a very good implementation. Robotron was difficult with a single controller, I hve two CX78's and it sounds like you can use both controllers so Ill try that next time. Ballblazers no fun alone! Lol. Didnt play Jinks yet. Hope to get some serious time with it this weekend.

Composite out was clear and looked good!

Now the quest for Donkey Kong and his son begins. :)

Edited by Ripdubski